Is this a key factor in long term success?

Options
Here at the 13 week mark I'm feeling burned out, and beginning to resent the gym/ eating well process.

So, I was recently advised to take a mini break from hitting the gym and counting calories. In other words, take a string of days with no working out plus also loosening my calorie restrictions.

I believe this idea could be a really good one, but I'm curious if anyone else with long term fitness success has found this to be helpful at the burn out point? I'm afraid of falling off the wagon, but equally afraid of flaming out and quitting all together. After all, it is a lifestyle, not a diet. But I still have a bit of guilt about missing workouts and indulging too much.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Replies

• SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Only speaking from my personal experience...I say NO! Days turn into weeks then into months then into years with me. The most I can slack off is maybe 3-4 days.
  • JCfabulous
    JCfabulous Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I think a key factor to long term success is consistency and having your resting metabolism rate measured every couple months to make sure you are eating the correct amount for your new muscle mass, weight loss etc.

This has been key to my long term success.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. P90X suggest a 2 week break in between rounds. I only do 1 week as I am affraid, like jacki said, weeks turn into months. So yes, take a break. The fact that you feel guilty is good cause you'll be good and get back at it.
    BTW...I usually only last 5 days not the full week off.
  • adriayellow11
    Options
    How do you have your metabolism rate measured?
  • rsonthelake
    rsonthelake Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I agree with Jacki....it isn't something I would do. You may want to reset your goals, but I wouldn't "take a break." Days turn into weeks, weeks in to months, and before you know it, you could be back where you started. Maybe not, I'd pray not. I know I would.
    Good Luck with whatever choice you make.
  • jhann16
    jhann16 Posts: 62
    Options
    Whenever I took a "break" for a few days I never went back. I've learned, through trial and error, that there is no such thing as a break. My husband and I have one "eat out" night a week and if I want dessert I order it. But other than that I stick with it. But I don't deprive myself. If I want something I eat it, but in moderation. As for exercise I work out five days a week and take two days off. My "weigh in" day is tomorrow, but I went to the dr. today so I know I've lost 10 lbs these past two weeks. Whenever I get depressed or resentful I remember all the weight I've lost so far and look at how much I lost in the last two weeks. I also hop on the message boards for inspiration and motivation.

This is just me and you might be totally different. But here's my two cents :o)
  • French140
    French140 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Doesn't work for me. It turns into a drawn out vacation and before i know it I've put on 30lbs! I'd try giving myself a cheat day on the weekends and maybe only working out 4-5 days per week. But if you give yourself a break on the eating you will definitely need to keep working out. If you slack on the working out then you definitely need to limit your calorie intake.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary and i don't know your workout schedule, but I would say you are proly pushing it too hard- I think there is some good in this advice- I wouldnt stop portioning your food (ie make sure you have 4 oz of meat, 1 serving of pasta, etc) and try to keep your base food as healthy as possible, but don't worry so much about every little calorie.

For working out- try to find something you love to do. I've started running, which is great for me, because its never ending goals and keeps me out of the gym, which I find really demoralizing (skinny biaches everywhere making me feel unaccomplished!!!). Maybe a martial art or dance class will help- you can focus on learning rather than logging time?

Good luck!
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    The thing is, you're (hopefully) going for a lifetime change rather than a diet/exercise program, if that makes sense. So I'd vote for "no" don't take any time off because you've established great habits that will take but a moment to lose.

That said, I understand feeling burned out. I'm thinking that the program you've got going--either food/exercise or both is just too much right now and that maybe a better idea is scaling back. In other words, rather than quit counting calories, just don't restrict them as much and rather than quit exercising, scale back on intensity and times per a week. Once you're feeling not so overwhelmed by it all, then up the ante, so to speak.

Good luck. YOU CAN DO THIS!
  • owlwomyn
    owlwomyn Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Well. I think we all get to this point from time to time. Not sure a string of days is a good idea, what's a string? One, two, three or more? I myself have taken a break from exercise now and then and gone over on calories here and there, but I think the key is to shake it off, and just go right back to the plan..no obsessing over it.

Drink more water when you do this, that seems to help me.

We are all human. The important thing is to stay focused and hold ourselves accountable..that's why I think it's important to log on and add everything to our diaries even if you have no exercise and go over on your calories. It's ok. Change will come.

Good luck and keep on keeping on!
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    a few days off quickly turn into months off and your hard work will quickly turn to calories re-gained. You don't want that. I would suggest that you mix things up and do something more fun and interesting - i.e. instead of going to the gym, go indoor rock climbing or swimming, or something with friends that is really fun and active. Instead of sticking to the same diet for months, get a health cook book and try new interesting receipes...

Good Luck and don't let yourself get burnt out... you have worked far too hard to let it go now.
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Options
    The better question is figuring out why you're starting to "resent" the process.
  • JCfabulous
    JCfabulous Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Depends on where you live, but I suggest having your metabolism tested by someone who owns a Korr Metacheck machine. Bodybug type devices and/or using electrical impedance(scale) is NOT accurate based on a number of studies.

Where do you live? Best idea is to put your city name followed my metabolism into google search engine ie. "Walnut Creek Metabolism Testing," then weed out those that do not have a Korr Metacheck machine or VO2.

I find that getting my metabolism tested every couple of months has played a significant role in maintaining my results or "cutting."
  • Sheltie4
    Sheltie4 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Why not aim to maintain for two weeks rather than losing weight? It is a real skill to maintain a weight loss and whatever you learn over the two weeks will help you when you get to target.

I lost my weight originally in 1985 and the hardest lesson I had to learn was that was only the beginning not the end.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    from my experience taking a day off every now and then helped me from burning out. the most I'd take is a weekend off, 2 days max. I'd do it once every 1½ months. no excercise, I'd eat what I wanted but still within maintance calories. usually 500-700 calories more than my normal limit.
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    The better question is figuring out why you're starting to "resent" the process.

I agree that this might be the most important question. You are sooooo very close to your loss goal, 5lbs away from your goal.

Then you will be in maintenance, not then you will be done, but then you will be in maintenance. My maintenance looks exactly like my loss phase, just with more calories.

You need to ask yourself what are you taking "break" from? And why?

I hope this doesn't sound preachy. These are just my opinions and you can feel free to ignore them all you want.

I hope you find a process that works for you and good luck on your journey.