New To This - Want to lose 60lbs.

Options
I am new to this site and was very motivated to go to the gym 4 - 5 days a week for 1 - 2 hours a day up until the last couple of weeks because I wasn't seeing results. I know that I need to get back in the gym but would really like to hear some success stories from anyone who can give me some motivation and some tips on what has worked for you. I'm considering joining Weight Watchers online in the next couple of weeks.

Replies

• brittanyscherich
    brittanyscherich Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Well. I just started last week, but I've already lost 6lbs. You just have to make your body uncomfortable. Never get too comfortable with a workout. My husband lost 50lbs on weight watchers so good luck!
  • rsonthelake
    rsonthelake Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Bridget, I think if you stay accountable to this site, that is all you need to do. Give it a try before you spend the money on WW. I've tried everything over the last 10 or so years, and I can tell you hands down, this is the site for me. I'm learning so much....from
    what to eat, how much, exercise, etc...........and the people here are great for motivation. Friend them, and see results!

Good Luck
  • darla48
    darla48 Posts: 25
    Options
    Welcome! I have been a member for 3 weeks now and I love this site! I am learning more and more each day!!! Good Luck on your journey!!
  • spennato
    spennato Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Welcome, I joined 10-18-2010, I stay within my calorie goals as much as possible and I go to the gym 5 days a week for 1 hour. This is the only thing that has ever worked for me( I tried atkins once and lost 30 lbs but gain it all back as soon as I stopped). MFP really re-programs your eating habits. As of today I have lost 56 lbs and am Loving my new daily routine........Good Luck you can do it!!!!
  • cagcooper
    cagcooper Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hey Bridget! I started about 20 days ago and am religious about logging my food. I think that is the key...every time I want to stick food in my mouth, I'm obligated to log it. For the last 2 days I've come in WAY under my calories for the day and I'm not miserable like I was on WW. I know that the exercise is helping, but I'm mixing up my routine to help keep it interesting. I started with walking/jogging on a treadmill and riding my stationary bike on alternating days. Then I added "Just Sweat" from the Just Dance 2 Wii video game for something a little different AFTER I rode or walked (it was my reward because it's a blast). Now I'm also doing my Wii Fit Plus, which is great for a cool down (I love the Yoga).

I know that I've only lost 3 pounds and I have a lot to go (40 or so), but I'm moving in the right direction!!

Welcome and good luck with your weight loss goals!
  • oneof9
    oneof9 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hey it's not easy loosing weight If it was I wouldn't look like I do or either anyone here. Don't give up. What works for me is just working out and counting calories. When I do that I eat smaller portions. If I want to eat more then I have to work out more.
    I swim a lot and if there is a place where you can go swimming Then I suggest you go swimming and do laps. If not then just keep it up in the gym. Do cardio. It's the fastest way to loose weight.
    In the past 2.5 weeks or so I have lost 10 pounds.
    I wish you all the best and DON'T GIVE UP. Add me as a friend if you need someone to keep you motivated. I tell everyone if I start to fall off the wagon to kick my butt. We are all here to help each other.
  • imperfectlyhere
    Options
    WELCOME:) I have 60pounds to lose too and just started....right now i am focusing on my diet and will work out in Feb....I have lost 7 pound though:) good luck!
  • jenX1174
    jenX1174 Posts: 154
    Options
    Bridget,

I've been there --- all can tell you right now is to keep with it.:wink:

Please click on the link below my ticker --- it is very informative!!
  • Caper88
    Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Hey. Well I am only new to the site but so far everyone seems really nice and great with offering advice. I have tried WW before but I found it to hard to stick too and that I just gained what little I had lost back on. I was using up my points for pizza and other junk so I wasn't changing my eating habits. Anyways everyone feel free to add or msg me if you would like to chat.
  • Bridget9283
    Options
    Thank you all so much! Everyone seems so nice and motivating. So how do you guys go about your eating habits? Do you eat whatever you want as long as you stay under your calorie goal?
  • ernurse77
    ernurse77 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Bridget,
    Getting into a routine, no habit is a better description, is a HARD thing to do. You have to be honest with yourself. I do eat whatever I want, but I stop and think about what I'm eating. I make better choices as far as WHAT I'm eating. For example, if I feel like I need to have something crunchy with lunch, instead of sitting the bag of chips in front of me, I let myself have some, but I put it on my plate, close the bag, and put it away.

Don't just go by what the scale says. Take your measurements, take before pictures. Measure yourself on day 1, day 30, day 60, day 90, etc to see on paper how well you are doing. You can do this!!!!

I vary my routine, otherwise, I get bored. I alternate days of cardio and strength trainging. I try and work out 5 to 6 days a week, and feel guilty if I don't make it there! I mix up my cardio with aerobics and running. I have quite a few workout DVD's and I mix those up as well. As far as strength training goes, I try and push myself a little bit every day. I don't go to the gym, only because I can't fit it into my schedule at this time. I live in the country so I work out in my basement when my son is napping. I'm a fan of the Power90 DVD's.

Keep your head up!!!!
  • spennato
    spennato Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating fast foods and stopped drinking anything but water( No No Soda). Other than that I eat regular foods and Occasionally will eat a little dessert.:smile:
  • Dyamond77
    Options
    You're not the only person that wants to lose 60 lbs...I want to do it by June 25, 2011. I have the problem of eating too much protein and not enough fiber. I have gotten off my 5x a week workout, now that life crisis is over I need to be held accountable to someone outside of my family. I know what I need to do it is just sticking with it long enough to make a drastic change. I have had previous success in losing 35lbs in about 7 weeks...eating every 2 1/2 hours mostly huge meaty salads ( I LOVE SPINACH). I did stop smoking (cold turkey) after 15 years. I am excited about that. I am an emotional eater so i gained 35lbs back over 5 months.

I would ask anyone how to exercise this fat off? I cant afford gym now. what are the routines that some of you have done? (sorry for taking over this thread)
  • cagcooper
    Options
    Hey Bridget,

I've been eating what I want, as long as I stay under my calorie goal. However, in the last week, I've been looking at the calories in the things I "want" and asking myself...do you REALLY want it, or would you prefer something else? 9 times out of 10, I'm choosing the something else, which is either a Fiber One bar (I use the ones that are less than 100 calories as my candy bars) or a 100 calorie pack of something.

Exercise also helps because it bumps up your calorie goal for the day :)
  • cagcooper
    Options
    Dyamond77

Some ways to exercise without going to a gym:

1) find a set of stairs and walk up and down
    2) walk around your neighborhood (if it's safe)
    3) walk around the mall (just avoid the food court area)
    4) "google" fat burning exercises and I'm sure that you'll find lot there

Using canned goods as "weights" is an inexpensive solution for toning your arm muscles, too.

Starting to move is the key...