How to not binge/kill the calorie count?

Options
emmerrs
emmerrs Posts: 158 Member
So Christmas holidays not included, I've been doing decently well at the whole calorie counting thing. I'm making healthier choices, generally eating less food, and I've been trying to curb my junky cravings. (I couldn't live without 60 calorie chocolate pudding cups though!!!)

But here's the problem, in the last week and a half I've just totally lost all my motivation to keep eating right... A few afternoons ago I baked an entire batch of gingerbread cookies and ate them all in an afternoon. I ordered pizza with my boyfriend twice in one week and the only rationalization I had was pretty much "$%$^ it"

Does anyone else feel like this? What do you do to re-motivate yourself??

Thanks <3

Replies

• caitlinlws
    caitlinlws Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I have trouble with that too, and so I log EVERYTHING....after I realize just how much I'm going over by one binge night of pizza, it helps me to control myself a little...or at the very least, save some calories for the pizza or get back on track more quickly.
  • Raina0512
    Raina0512 Posts: 216
    Options
    Bump :blushing:
  • imperfectlyhere
    Options
    I try not to beat myself up about it. I use to be bad with binging more:( I am an emotional eater so I am working on if I eat a treat being sure I am good the rest of the day or only drinking water....A few weeks ago we went out to eat and it was planned so even tho I know I went over my calories I ate light all day. Its best to get into the habit of planning meals out or treats verses on a whim or just emotions. I am working on this myself!
  • emmerrs
    Options
    I have trouble with that too, and so I log EVERYTHING....after I realize just how much I'm going over by one binge night of pizza, it helps me to control myself a little...or at the very least, save some calories for the pizza or get back on track more quickly.

I think I need to get back in the habit of doing that, lately I've just not been logging certain days so I don't have to see that red minus sign!!

*sigh* I'm off to write down my over indulgences for the day right now.
  • jeffbruning
    Options
    Happens frequently to me. All I can suggest is to stay busy and don't get bored. You may have heard the acronym 'BLAST' before, which means essentially this - we make most poor choices when we are either Bored, Lazy, Angry, Sad, or Tired. That applies to almost any choices. The other thing to remember is drink plenty of water. I'm not a big fan of water, but I'm learning. Many times a little dehydration actually makes you feel hungry (similar sensation). So find some sort of healthy version of water (if you don't like it straight), but don't trust the marketing or name, read the labels, avoid lots of sugar which can also make you hungry. I actually put essential oils in my water, which not only alter the taste, but help me with digestion and cravings.

That's my 2 cents.
  • wrighthe
    wrighthe Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    GREAT QUOTE. I think you jusr have to breathe and work your way though it. I struggle with the same issues. Bingeing compuslions visit me as overpowering and unrelenting drives to eat and eat until I nearly vomit.
    I can tell you to stop and drink water, journal or pray....but at the end of the day its about stopping and figuring out what drives that binge. Look at the people you binge with, what role do they play in these decisions...it might mean editing them from your life. It might be the hardest thing you tackle in your life...it has been for me to date. More of a struggle than quitting smoking, moving, school and a stressful job.
    Good luck sista.
    I did briefly find The book "women food and God " helpful in gaining some insight...Any of Geneen Roth's books are real eye openers. Try them out...
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I think of what I looked like six or seven months ago, before I started watching what I was eating and exercising. My boobs were bigger than most women's! :laugh: I may have a ways to go yet, but at least now I can take off my shirt at the beach and not have people think that a whale beached itself!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I have pizza a LOT. Usually twice a week, but I budget my calories on those days so it's not a binge, except maybe on sodium.
    Nothing is off limits. As soon as something's forbidden, it's more tempting. But if I want those cookies, those pretzels, that pizza, whatever, I'm going to hold myself accountable for them. It's never a binge, so it's never wrong and I never feel like a failure.
  • AnneRenee155
    AnneRenee155 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Don't deprive yourself...make sure you have a little bit of a lot of everything. If you want chocolate? Have a piece. Making an entire batch of cookies...I'd eat the whole batch myself. That's another thing, if I'm feeling in control, I can be around things that aren't the best for me and make good decisions (one cookie and walk away) but if I'm feeling 'unstoppable' I have to stay away from my triggers...like delicious pizza and cookies (gingerbread? nah but chocolate chunk pecan? we're in trouble :) Another thing, have a bad day, a bad week, maybe even a bad month but stop. And get back in the groove and keep going. I don't know how many times I had a bad week and gave up. (except this time around....) You can do it, keep it up..!
  • jessieinblue
    jessieinblue Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Lots of good responses above. I agree that logging the bad days is a must. It keeps you motivated to do better the next day :)

Your diet won't be ruined by a few mistakes unless you allow it to happen. Stay positive :)
  • singinglili
    singinglili Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    you can always try making a healthier version of the food you crave too. My husband was craving pizza, but I didn't want it in the house, knowing I'll eat what he didn't. So I decided to make a pizza tonight. It doesn't taste like take out, but I made it with a super thin crust (mamma mary's) and turkey pepperoni, and low fat mozarella - with caramelized onions and an orange pepper - a quarter of the entire pizza was 361 calories (481 for a third) according to the recipe I input into MFP. It was totally delicious and satisfying, and I didn't feel heavy or bloated like I would have after a take out pizza.
  • emmerrs
    Options
    Thanks for all the support! :)

I'd never heard of the 'BLAST' acronym before, but it does make a lot of sense.

One thing I've really been focusing on is trying not to eat in secret... that was one of the things that I did a lot that contributed to me gaining all this weight in the first place and I think if I get that under control I might be able to lose it :)
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I tend to give horrible advice.
    Here is what I would do if you don't feel motivated. Go find some of those 18 year old girls that really need to lose 4 pounds, because you know, they are over 110 and the really need to fit in that size 0 dress, let alone a bikini. Go friend a few. They go find some people who lost over 100 lbs. go friend them also. They most likely have an incredible story and have gone though hell, and back to achieve it.
    Doesn't that just p*** you off? like really mad? GAH! go eat a cookie, go walk around the block, and get back to it