why am i so hungry!

Options
so recently I've been exercising a lot.. and even though i eat at night after exercising, i tend to be starving in the morning. I don't really know how much or what i should be eating for breakfast or just any time of the day because normally im starving again by lunch time.. here's an idea of what i eat

cup cereal
silk
banana

still hungry

hummus and veggie cheese sandwich
pretzels
fruit

still hungry..

get coffee

not hungry until 3 pm

normally in this time period i consume 200 calories
-fruit
-hummus and carrots
-sandwich on light bread
-pretzels and pb

and then i go to hot yoga for an hour

-coffee/tea

and then i finish the rest of my calories for dinner which is normally around 500

(im on the 1430 calorie a day plan)

but idk if im missing something. or if i need to eat more of something to fill me up more so i feel less hungry.
i live in a dorm at college so my options for what i eat are limited.

let me know if you have any suggestions!

Replies

• Annista
    Annista Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I would adjust and add more protien, protien helps you stay full longer.
  • jbehm313
    jbehm313 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How much water do you drink? Sometimes if you are dehydrated your body thinks its hungry when you are really just thirsty.
  • JayAlexander
    JayAlexander Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Protein protein protein!!! Try a handful of dry roasted nuts or a protein shake or bar. And don't forget your water!
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    What kind of cereal are you eating in the morning? Having oatmeal instead might help you to feel fuller longer. Are you eating wholegrain/high-fibre bread for your lunch time sandwich? What kinds of veggies are you having with lunch? Certain foods take the body longer to digest (particularly if they are high in fibre and/or protein) and can help you to feel fuller longer.

How long have you been eating this way and feeling hungry for? It could also just be your body adjusting to a new routine if this is a big change for you?
  • lukybug
    lukybug Posts: 209
    Options
    Almonds are a great dense food that will help fill you up and keep you full. They are high in fiber. Also, protein is a great filler upper. How many cals do you burn during yoga? Perhaps you need to eat some of your exercise calories?
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    More protein, Water and eat something every 2-3 hrs. It's normal to be hungry when you wake up since it's been like 7-10 hrs since you last ate.
  • MobiusMan
    MobiusMan Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    you should feel hungry in the morning...Break Fast...
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Yes protein. There are a bunch of smart people on these boards!
  • nubreeze33
    Options
    you need protein luv........Almonds keep them around for snacks
  • recesq
    recesq Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You are hungry because you're eating carbs all day long which stimulate your cravings and hunger. Plus you are working out which stimulates hunger. and I' don't see that you are drinking 64 oz or more of water a day. I don't know your goal or where you are at right now, but like the other postor said, add protein. To that I would suggest also drinking more water, cutting out most of your carbs for at least a week or so and possibly cutting back on the workouts for a few weeks.
  • elenaamaretto
    Options
    i just started dieting and working out daily 3 weeks ago so that might be it. i could probably try drinking more water and eating more protein. i always eat whole grain, i just can't have dairy because it makes me sick. but thanks guys for your advice!
  • elenaamaretto
    Options
    Almonds are a great dense food that will help fill you up and keep you full. They are high in fiber. Also, protein is a great filler upper. How many cals do you burn during yoga? Perhaps you need to eat some of your exercise calories?

this also might be it too!

i just figured out that the yoga i do burns around 320 calories an hour, while the yoga i thought i was doing only burns 159. im just worried i wont continue to lose weight if i eat more than 1500

and i love almonds! that also might be it.. i used to have pistachios to eat at my dorm but i ate them all.
    i should probably buy some more nuts.
  • Dyamond77
    Options
    You have some good advice here. I found that most of what they are saying is accurate. In the morning you should eat your biggest meal: oatmeal with flaxseed & apple. for snack have the almonds & whey protein shake( i add more flaxseed) lunch must be a very large meal: spinach salad turkey breasts chunks sunflower seeds (crotons) tangerine/dates and balasmic dressing. snack: pear, peach or prunes(u choose ur fruit) dinner: salmon steak seared with green peppers cilantro, summer squash, (or another green salad,just a little lighter) broccoli steamed. BEFORE OR AFTER YOUR MEAL DRINK WATER. I find that a 22oz cup isnt so intimidating as 64oz jug!! I drink the whey protein shake after a workout. stop eating after 6pm and go to bed around 10:30pm.
  • kacylaine
    kacylaine Posts: 154 Member
    Options

this also might be it too!

i just figured out that the yoga i do burns around 320 calories an hour, while the yoga i thought i was doing only burns 159. im just worried i wont continue to lose weight if i eat more than 1500

and i love almonds! that also might be it.. i used to have pistachios to eat at my dorm but i ate them all.
    i should probably buy some more nuts.

You absolutely need to eat as much of your exercise calories as possible. I struggled with anorexia a few years ago, so I understand balking at the thought of eating to lose weight. But, you need to do it! MFP already has you at a calorie deficit, so if you work out and burn calories and don't eat your calories back, you will starve your body and you will start to hang on to all the fat your body can, because it thinks it might actually starve.

Eat to lose! Also, I agree with the protein!