NakedandAfriad??

Options

Replies

• slomo22
    slomo22 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    (BTW I also loved 50 shades!!! I'm hoping to find someone just like the female protagonist to mold into my very own mate.)
    Weren't Ana and Christian just the most amazing characters EVER??!!! I don't blame you. She would be the most awesomely perfect wife in the history of wifedom.

I love lamp
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    You can eat zero calories for 21 days and not die. People have fasted for far longer then that. This show if anything demonstrates the lunacy of thinking super low calories stops weight loss or causes weight gain. It also points out the actual negatives of going very low cal (irritability, strength loss, decrease in mental clarity, etc). Also I would bet money once they finish the show they all over eat and return to pre show weight. Furthermore once they reach pre-show weight, they would likely have more body fat and less muscle mass unless they were very careful about how they increased calories. This is the same thing that happens when people try super low calorie diets. They lose a bunch of weight, and either quit due to the negative side effects or they reach goal weight. They then stop counting calories, overeat, and regain all their weight including replacing lost muscle with fat.

Moral of the story is very low calorie diets do not cause weight gain or weight loss to mysteriously stop but they are a bad idea for so many other reasons.
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I know there is a lot of talk about going below 1200 calories to lose weight, stay healthy or whatever...Idk if anyone else does, but does anyone else watch the show Naked and Afraid?..Clearly those people are going below 1200 calories a day (yes I know it a TV show)..If the concept is accurate (being it's a tv show), how is that possible if they are going less than 1200 calories a day? This is simply some thoughts and questions of mine..any other opinions?

It's a tv show. It's not real. It's for entertainment and to sell products. Everything about reality tv is staged and scripted.

Shhhh that's supposed to be secret, you're ruining it for everyone.
  • Hophead43
    Hophead43 Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    I know there is a lot of talk about going below 1200 calories to lose weight, stay healthy or whatever...Idk if anyone else does, but does anyone else watch the show Naked and Afraid?..Clearly those people are going below 1200 calories a day (yes I know it a TV show)..If the concept is accurate (being it's a tv show), how is that possible if they are going less than 1200 calories a day? This is simply some thoughts and questions of mine..any other opinions?

It's a tv show. It's not real. It's for entertainment and to sell products. Everything about reality tv is staged and scripted.

Shhhh that's supposed to be secret, you're ruining it for everyone.
    Spoiler Alert!!
  • jefferytmc
    jefferytmc Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Consider most WLS patients are to eat less than 1,000 calories a day after surgery for a sustained period of time, it is entirely possible to eat less than 1200 a day and lose weight and not be malnourished (not saying the people on the show are not malnourished).

I think the biggest reason it is not suggested for regular WL is that eating so few calories tends to make one really hungry and absent a condition of lack of food as on the TV show, more likely to overeat and even binge eat either at the end of the day or within a couple of days. Ultimately, it is not beneficial as most people (minus surgery) cannot take in so little food and not get really hungry.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

I've only watched one episode...after that episode, the guy that was on it commented that he had lost about 10 Lbs of actual muscle. Do you know how long it takes to build 10 Lbs of muscle?

beyond that, it's just a show and these people don't do this for prolonged periods of time. they are also closely monitored by health care professionals.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    You can eat zero calories for 21 days and not die. People have fasted for far longer then that. This show if anything demonstrates the lunacy of thinking super low calories stops weight loss or causes weight gain. It also points out the actual negatives of going very low cal (irritability, strength loss, decrease in mental clarity, etc). Also I would bet money once they finish the show they all over eat and return to pre show weight. Furthermore once they reach pre-show weight, they would likely have more body fat and less muscle mass unless they were very careful about how they increased calories. This is the same thing that happens when people try super low calorie diets. They lose a bunch of weight, and either quit due to the negative side effects or they reach goal weight. They then stop counting calories, overeat, and regain all their weight including replacing lost muscle with fat.

Moral of the story is very low calorie diets do not cause weight gain or weight loss to mysteriously stop but they are a bad idea for so many other reasons.

^Quoting this because it is worth a second read
  • ljminto
    ljminto Posts: 52
    Options
    What RML said. (BTW I also loved 50 shades!!! I'm hoping to find someone just like the female protagonist to mold into my very own mate.)

But yes, some days, very rarely, I won't have much appetite because I'm sick or what-have-you. Nothing terrible happens if you undereat for a day. As a means to lose weight, under-eating for a prolonged period of time has all kinds of extremely dangerous ramifications.

50 Shades was THE BOMB!! Love, Love, Love those books!
  • ljminto
    Options
    I watch it, but for a different purpose. It helps me not OVEREAT. I see how little they need to survive and when I am at my calorie max and feeling like more this helps me not overeat.

Works for me.

Mark

That's a good way to look at that show..haven't thought of it like that.. Thanks!
  • ljminto
    Options
    Oh emmm geee, I think I've watched every epi and they drop an average of 20 lb, one guy lost 40lb. Obviously, not a recommended diet, lol, but it really flies in the face of the myth that a human body will go into starvation mode hence holding onto that weight, because clearly those people were shrinking in each and every episode, and they were eating next to nothing. Mind you I don't think it's an ideal diet, but it also makes me realize that we can survive on eating less than we do; I'm not going to starve if I skip a meal or even a day of food.

Agreed :)
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    What RML said. (BTW I also loved 50 shades!!! I'm hoping to find someone just like the female protagonist to mold into my very own mate.)

But yes, some days, very rarely, I won't have much appetite because I'm sick or what-have-you. Nothing terrible happens if you undereat for a day. As a means to lose weight, under-eating for a prolonged period of time has all kinds of extremely dangerous ramifications.

50 Shades was THE BOMB!! Love, Love, Love those books!

I was going to respond to the thread topic, but NVM.
  • Loss4TheWin
    Loss4TheWin Posts: 249
    Options
    I used to believe in the over-hyped definition of starvation mode - but you rarely see morbidly obese Holocaust survivors...so I'm over believing it.
  • ljminto
    Options
    Naked and afraid is a new weight loss show...it's basically The Biggest Looser meets Survivor! The show sends 2 people to a remote location for 21 days and whoever loses the most weight wins some new luggage! A typical person loses 20-30 pounds. That's over 1 pound per day! This is already a big weight loss fad in Hollywood. I believe they call it the anorexia diet (That’s French for “don’t eat anything diet”).

....Seriously though those people can barely stand the end of the 21 days. I highly doubt it's good for you haha.

i would NEVER wanna try this! lol
  • ljminto
    Options

Agreed.
  • ljminto
    Options

i know that most things on tv are staged, but wow! puts a little different prospective on the show now..
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I would like to believe everyone who says the show is scripted and that they are feeding them off camera, but... what about the guy who had a hypoglycemic seizure? I'm a type 1 diabetic, and I've had hypoglycemic seizures, but somebody who does not take insulin should not experience this unless s/he has had sooo little glucose for soooo long that all stored glucose has been released and the person is still needing sugar to be added to their blood. Someone who is being fed off camera wouldn't have had this happen unless he is also being given insulin (which is dumb to intentionally cause a potentially deadly medical issue).

With that said, since I am a type 1 diabetic, I could lose more weight than all of you. I just have to stop taking insulin. Without that, my body would create ketones to burn fat for energy, and I would go into diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) and eventually die. Sure, it would take a few days to die, but I could lose a whole lot of fat and water weight (vomiting and frequent urination while kidneys are still able to function) in a few days. I don't recommend it, but those few of us who have type 1 can do it. Sometimes, it is half-done (just run high blood sugars, but don't eliminate insulin completely) by type 1's trying to lose weight. It's called diabulimia. But if I stop taking insulin, I could eat as much as I like and still lose fantastic amounts of weight.