BOOT CAMP

Options
I joined a boot camp a few days ago and this boot camp offers multiple classes through the week. Monday, Wednesday and Friday for beginners(my category) I have been really sore after these workouts. I would like to go more than 3 times a week but after being super sore I feel as maybe I wont be able to hang. And also to be honest maybe I'm a little scared lol.

How should I go about this?
Any advice?

Thanks.

Replies

• 86_Ohms
    86_Ohms Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    It's a paradox, but if you keep doing it then the soreness will usually fade.

However, if it's sharp pains, and especially in joints, then you're pushing it too hard or your form is off on something.
  • therocpile
    therocpile Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Try chocolate milk after your workout. 4:1 carbohydrate to protein ratio is optimal for replenishing your tired muscles after a long workout. The milk’s naturally occurring sugar (lactose) is half glucose, its protein speeds up glycogen synthesis in the body, and its electrolytes (like potassium and, to a lesser extent, sodium) help you rehydrate. And not to mention chocolate milk tastes great, and is a nice treat!

I drank it today after I did my Insanity workout x2 and a small run, and I'm not that sore anymore. Also with time your muscles will get stronger, and your soreness will fade away.

Also try eating a high protein meal after your workout.
  • HappyHope0123
    HappyHope0123 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    When I started running back in APril, I was SO sore!!! Couldn't barely walk after running...a friend of mine suggested I take ibuprofen prophylactically...as in before running. For a week I took 600mg ibuprofen prior to running, and it really helped. As long as you don't have a medical condition that excludes ibuprofen, you could try that.

I also second the milk before and high protein meal/snack after a workout.
  • cgonzales325
    cgonzales325 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Try chocolate milk after your workout. 4:1 carbohydrate to protein ratio is optimal for replenishing your tired muscles after a long workout. The milk’s naturally occurring sugar (lactose) is half glucose, its protein speeds up glycogen synthesis in the body, and its electrolytes (like potassium and, to a lesser extent, sodium) help you rehydrate. And not to mention chocolate milk tastes great, and is a nice treat!

I drank it today after I did my Insanity workout x2 and a small run, and I'm not that sore anymore. Also with time your muscles will get stronger, and your soreness will fade away.

Also try eating a high protein meal after your workout.

Thanks for the advice. My trainer recommended protein shake after the workout , I'm still trying to figure out which Whey protein is best.
  • cgonzales325
    Options
    When I started running back in APril, I was SO sore!!! Couldn't barely walk after running...a friend of mine suggested I take ibuprofen prophylactically...as in before running. For a week I took 600mg ibuprofen prior to running, and it really helped. As long as you don't have a medical condition that excludes ibuprofen, you could try that.

I also second the milk before and high protein meal/snack after a workout.

I will also take that into consideration.
  • yassy124
    yassy124 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Lol I just joined a boot camp class with my friend and it scared us to death! We're struggling to go back for another session. To answer your question though, when I first started doing circuit/strength training I was soo sore for like a week, but if you continue doing it, it gets so much better. I think doing it every other day is a good idea so that way you'll have an inbetween rest day for your muscles.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    the soreness won't be so bad after a bit.

but you're a beginner, and they offer the easier, beginner version on MWF...so what's the question, exactly? you're barely recovering from the less intense class and you'd like to add 2 extra classes of the more intense variety?
  • yummyboogereaterr
    yummyboogereaterr Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You should keep going and just suffer through it for the time being. You're body needs time to adjust to your new workouts, for me personally it took about 2-3 weeks. It's hard to workout when you're super sore but if you don't push it you'll never get past that hump. You can do it!!! Don't be scared, boot camps are amazing and I promise it will be worth it in the end. Icy hot is your friend! :)
  • cgonzales325
    Options

but you're a beginner, and they offer the easier, beginner version on MWF...so what's the question, exactly? you're barely recovering from the less intense class and you'd like to add 2 extra classes of the more intense variety?

The other classes are suppose to be more intense and longer sessions. They would go from being 30 min sessions every other day to 1-1 1/2 hr sessions everyday.
  • cgonzales325
    Options
    You should keep going and just suffer through it for the time being. You're body needs time to adjust to your new workouts, for me personally it took about 2-3 weeks. It's hard to workout when you're super sore but if you don't push it you'll never get past that hump. You can do it!!! Don't be scared, boot camps are amazing and I promise it will be worth it in the end. Icy hot is your friend! :)

Thank you for this! I will definitely try to push myself.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

The other classes are suppose to be more intense and longer sessions. They would go from being 30 min sessions every other day to 1-1 1/2 hr sessions everyday.

egggggsactly