Eating to make up exercise calories?

Options
Say my goal is 2000 cal a day, and I burn 300cal, am I then supposed to eat 2300 or still only 2000 to lose weight?

Replies

• Stiang
    Stiang Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    You can if you want, but I try not to. 1) You might be overestimating calories lost. 2) You might be underestimating calories in.
  • love8383
    love8383 Posts: 169
    Options
    2000 calories a day seems like enough i wouldn't eat back the 300
  • gail1961
    gail1961 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. I would not eat it back. I would have never lost if i did.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I usually only eat half of mine back but I only eat 1600 calories a day. As long as your not famished and are feeling satisfied I wouldn't worry about eating those back
  • BCCail
    BCCail Posts: 9
    Options
    Good, I have enough problem making sure I eat the required calories to begin with, I don't need to add to that number. ;)
  • ksolksol
    ksolksol Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    The big question is how do you feel not eating them back? If you're not hungry, no sense in eating them. If your body feels like it needs them, you know you have them.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I don't eat mine back. I figure they're there for cushioning.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    If your deficit is already factored in and you are sure of your calorie burn then I would consume a good portion of those calories back... I have always kept the deficit for weight loss separate from the working out for fitness and over all health... That is why I eat those calories back because I use that food to fuel my body. When I am in weight loss mode my deficit is already factored in..... Best of Luck.....
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Hunger is not the best indicator of what the body needs tho...

MFP is set up for you to eat back your exercise calories. The deficit you have will enable you to lose the weight you want without exercise and any calories you get from exercise are there to help fuel your next workout.

I personally always ate them back...and I lost the weight.

Mind you I weighed all my solids and was 99% sure of my intake.

If you are having issues with getting calories in try calorie dense foods such as ice cream or full fat milk and cheese or avocadoes...even chocolate or a glass of wine works.
  • BCCail
    BCCail Posts: 9
    Options
    My big concern was "starvation mode" because my actual calorie goal is 1760 and most days I ear around 1300, then I exercise and burn 300 so it works out to me consuming 1000 calories a day, which I believe is too low for the average woman and I am above average so I'm supposed to be eating even more.
  • newlooknewme2014
    newlooknewme2014 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Don't eat them if you're not hungry. IF you are hungry it is fine to do so. However, like a previous post mentioned calories burned is not accurate nor is calories eaten. So err on the side of caution and not eat them ALL back.

This site explains the whole eating calories back thing I've found it helpful : http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/eating-back-calories-burned/
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    if you get hungry, weak or light headed, those are good signs you may need more food. i eat back part of my workout calories if i feel hungry or weak, usually non-fat greek yogurt or half a scoop of protein powder in water.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    You're defeating the purpose if you eat them all back. Also if you're using MFP to estimate calories burned, they tend to over estimate and you could wind up overeating your workouts.

If you've just got to do it, a good rule of thumb is to eat no more than 1/2 of burned calories back.
  • Luckee_me
    Luckee_me Posts: 1,426 Member
    Options
    It's a mixed bag of answers.
    I try not to eat my exercise calories back, but somedays it happens and I try not to stress about it.
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    On your calories with a bit to lose probably ok not to. Just be very accurate with your logging, portion sizes, etc.
    But word to all those struggling on just 1200 calories you do need to eat yours back!