Weight falling off too quickly?

Options
This week I've lost roughly 8 pounds. I'm skeptical about this! I've been using the same scale and I check it for accuracy every time. I got on another scale and that one had me at an even lower weight. It seems strange to me to lose so quickly. I don't notice any physical difference yet. I have been drinking 3.5 litres of water per day. Is it just water weight or am I not eating enough or is my scale just broken? Or should I just accept that the weight is going off quickly and be glad with it?

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Replies

• Brender123
    Brender123 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I wish I could have that problem! I would just be happy and go with it.:smile:
  • veg56kg
    veg56kg Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Maybe try another scale? Are you eating enough? I wouldn't blame the water. I drink about the same about.
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Most of the big fluctuations in weight are probably going to just be how much water your body is storing at any given time. If I drop my sodium intake down I drop a few pounds, raise it and I go up. Woman have the pleasure of being on a monthly cycle that does roughly the same thing to their bodies. I exercise daily but if I take a few days off I drop some extra water.

The most psychologically damning part of it is when you "think" you have lost weight and it turns back up on the scale a few days later.

So mostly just work with averages and don't hit the scale too often if you go insane when things jump around a bit.
  • credgeur
    credgeur Posts: 16
    Options
    :) Thanks for the good answers guys!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    It sounds like it could be water weight, have you tried taking your measurements? I always take my measurements because I find scales to be wonky sometimes! But no doubt it feels good to see lower numbers on that scale, keep it up :)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    One of my friends found a qtip under her scale :(

If you've started dieting in the last week or two, about 5 pounds is probably glycogen (or water weight). That being said, a few people lose more quickly than predicted at first. If you're still losing like that after 6 weeks, or are ravenous all the time, you are probably ok.

Ps. This isn't medical advice. Just experience.
  • believeandsee
    Options
    No worries. just go with it, be happy!:)
  • Liggy302
    Liggy302 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Whenever I start "dieting" again, the first thing I do is massively increase my water, and for the first week the weight drops off. It will slow down if it is due to water consumption. It would be pretty hard to lose that much fat in that time but anythings possible. If it doesn't stop, talk to your doctor as I've heard people can experience problems with Gall stones after extreme weight loss. Although this is just what I've heard. :) GL
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    If this is your first few weeks, It's water weight. I lost 10lbs in the first two weeks. Its about 1.5lbs a week now
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    One of my friends found a qtip under her scale :(

If you've started dieting in the last week or two, about 5 pounds is probably glycogen (or water weight). That being said, a few people lose more quickly than predicted at first. If you're still losing like that after 6 weeks, or are ravenous all the time, you are probably ok.

Ps. This isn't medical advice. Just experience.

Haha yep! That was me! My scale said 175 everyday for a week before I got suspicious. I was really 178 at the time.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I chart everything in Excel so I can see the longer term trend, which tells me if what I'm experiencing right now is "normal" for me. I put my TOM in the chart, since that seems to have more influence on how and when I lose than pretty much anything else.