Calorie Requirement?

Options
I am 5"10 195-200 Lbs (I drift in between) I am a female. I don't exactly have a goal weight I just want to lose weight and get healthier, but calorie wise I just really don't know what to go for. With my exercise regimen I have I probably burn at least 1000 calories a day.

Replies

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter much where you start. There will be trial and error involved. Pick any number of calories you want, 1800 for example. Diligently track everything you eat for 2 weeks. If you lose weight keep the number the same, if you don't lose weight, reduce it slightly.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Figure out around what weight you want to be at (even if it is a smaller goal); put in your stats and choose cals loss per week goal as well as the correct activity level in MFP; then eat the cal goal MFP gives you.

Keep in mind that MFP puts you at a deficit (if your goal is weight loss of course) and that it is based on the NEAT method, so you eat your exercise calories back.

If you find you aren't losing, then consider that maybe your burns might be too high and subtract 50-150cals from the burns and give that another 4-6 weeks.

Also, if you aren't using a food scale to weigh out your food - invest in one and do so. It's about $10-$30 depending on brand.

Here's a link with more info and tips:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • love8383
    love8383 Posts: 169
    Options
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

And how did you come to that number? Is that based on MFP or TDEE (and if so minus what %)?
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit of 3500 equals one pound of weight loss. The standard formula applicable to most, not all, people is 15 calories per pound of your weight, per day, to maintain. If you eat 500 calories less per day, you will lose one pound per week (500 x 7 days=3500 calories); 1000 calories less per day to lose 2 pounds per week; 1500 calories less per day to lose 3 pounds per week. and so on. Weigh daily so that you can continue to adjust the maintenance number as your weight drops down.
  • ZoneOut030
    Options
    Hah you are awesome
  • ctuongle82
    Options
    I think you should go for 1lb a day first. As the weights come off, you will feel more comfortable with eating less. Then, perhaps you can go for more weight lost. I am 5'2" and was 181lbs. Now, I am 149.9 (according to this morning scale). I started out with the goal of losing 1lb a week.
  • ctuongle82
    Options
    Correction: go for 1 pound a week.
  • veg56kg
    veg56kg Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I calculated your TDEE, and came up with 2111. ( I input your age as 20, and didn't put down any exercise. ) So I'd eat that amount and create a calorie deficit with exercise :)