Any Teachers (any level & especially online) in the House?

Options

Replies

• RonnaAustin1111
    RonnaAustin1111 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I teach journalism at a two-year college...
  • wrubsie76
    wrubsie76 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I will be entering my 11th year as a high school math teacher. Please feel free to add me. I would love to have other teachers on my friends list for support after a hard day with the kiddos!
  • IamMCM
    IamMCM Posts: 122
    Options
    online teaching may work for upper elm and higher, but lower elm needs the monitoring of a real person and not a parent… unless the parent is a teacher…but then why enroll? lol!!! human interaction is always more important than information given.
    That's what I've often thought when I see how hard they push virtual school here, starting with kindergarten. Many of my adult students are totally unprepared for the online learning environment, so I'm not sure how a kindergartener can do it unless the parent is experienced with teaching or home schooling. But the program is huge, so I guess it must work out.
  • Janice0711
    Janice0711 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I taught Elem school for 32 years (mostly 3rd grade) and retired 5 years ago. I loved teaching, the students were so sweet at that age....most of them were my height or shorter..ha!

I am enjoying retirement...traveling...taxing my 80 something parents around, exercising....Pilates 1 hr 3x week & Zumba 2x week~
    I have a newborn grandson! Yeah! My daughter also has a 16 month old boy...my son has a 7 year old girl & a 5 month old girl...so I have 2 grand daughters & 2 grandsons...perfect balance!

2 years ago, I lost 40 lbs for my 40th high school reunion...gained some of it back...so back to working out!
    Good luck!
    Janice0711:flowerforyou:
  • Dwamma
    Dwamma Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I have taught in Early Childhood Ed for over 25 years! I love it! I am currently teaching preschool (age 3). I love what I do! :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • jennie1801
    Options
    I teach 3rd special education and I am an on-line teacher!
  • elaine22014
    Options
    Sweet, me too. I teach high school biology and start Aug. For masters in curriculum!
  • Calyse90
    Calyse90 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    HI.

Im a Sub Teacher. Im going on my 3rd school year this fall. Sub k-12, I really like enjoy elementary/high school
  • elaine22014
    Options
    I teach high school biology and have for almost 20 years. Good to see that there are so many teachers.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I'm a violin/viola teacher. I teach kids 3.5 ish through 18. It's fun to watch them grow!
  • lauraschulkind600
    lauraschulkind600 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm a third grade GT teacher, and I also teach the flute.
  • Synchronicity
    Synchronicity Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Teaching rant to my fellow teachers :(

Assigning grades. Worse part about teaching. I hate it. I have students that come see me several times a week for extra help, and my conversations with them make me feel that they know the material well... and yet their tests don't show it and it makes me sad. Then I have the student that sleeps through my class every day and gets A's. And then I have the student who also sleeps through my class nearly every day, has the lowest grade in the class, and yet begs for a C.

I'm sure you can all relate. *sigh*
  • afe1969
    afe1969 Posts: 1
    Options
    I am.a High School Special Educator. I have taught Special Education since 1995. I'm excited to start the new school year with new fitness goals and goals to make things flow smoothly at home with my children. The day is busy to squeeze everything in. I want to increase my health to be a more active and fun mommy as well as have the energy to be a blessing preparing youth for life after High School. I was just told about this site today and it appears to be an amazing tool that will be motivational as well!
  • peter_rotten
    peter_rotten Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Anybody struggle with summers off? The lack of schedule wreaks havoc on my eating. It's one of the many reasons that I teach summer school.
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Anybody struggle with summers off? The lack of schedule wreaks havoc on my eating. It's one of the many reasons that I teach summer school.
    Hi Peter;

In our case (my wife teacher) we both retired Feb 1 so our summer break now is eternal and includes all 12 months.

It's a big adjustment in many ways but similar when taken in the context of your question.

The good news is, it really IS possible (and in many ways easier) to not only not have it "wreak havoc" but in fact, stick to the many adjustments one has to make to ensure success with whatever weight loss program one embarks on.

The "proof" is in the pudding (ooops, probably not the best analogy, sorry).
    She lost 25#, hit goal, and is now in maintenance. I lost 38 (so far) and still have a way to go but on track.

Despite a 5 week "road trip" (many, many, eating "out" meals but at least partially offset by way above average walking (as tourists) days. Back at home, having the time (for the first time in 40 years) to prepare healthier, home cooked meals, makes all the difference in the world.

That, combined with the many benefits "working" teachers simply can't avail themselves of, (adequate sleep, monstrously reduced stress and frustration levels, etc, etc, etc) is (at least in our case) the gift that keeps on giving.

Not our place to advise others what to do but it is worth considering, especially for those nearing retirement. No teacher in the world is more dedicated to her "kiddos", more obsessed with the details, or more committed to the "mission" she accepted when choosing the most honorable profession anyone can - but even she (now, in retrospect) agrees that perhaps too much emphasis was placed on adding those last couple years to boost the pension.

The trade off for some might not be an option (for financial reasons) but if it is, the non-monetary "benefits" shouldn't be underestimated and they extend far beyond just being able to cook more "homemade" meals.
  • cantobean
    cantobean Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I teach high school music.
  • nikkohli
    nikkohli Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I taughht middle school for 4 years in a B&M school and I just accpeted a position as a HS teacher online. I start Monday! Any online (non-college level) teacher have tips? It seems a little disorganized and because I am working from home I am worried I will be working constantly. What is a typical day/week like for you?
  • IamMCM
    IamMCM Posts: 122
    Options
    I taughht middle school for 4 years in a B&M school and I just accpeted a position as a HS teacher online. I start Monday! Any online (non-college level) teacher have tips? It seems a little disorganized and because I am working from home I am worried I will be working constantly. What is a typical day/week like for you?
    I know you're teaching HS rather than college, but do the kids have to be on between certain hours or are they allowed to do the work whenever they wish? If it's the latter, you can easily be working constantly if you're at all lax on time management. You have to work within the terms set by the school, but make sure to schedule time outside of the classroom within that framework...and honor that time off.
  • DWhy5
    DWhy5 Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    PE Teacher checking in!
  • cbusiness2010
    Options
    online teaching may work for upper elm and higher, but lower elm needs the monitoring of a real person and not a parent… unless the parent is a teacher…but then why enroll? lol!!! human interaction is always more important than information given.
    That's what I've often thought when I see how hard they push virtual school here, starting with kindergarten. Many of my adult students are totally unprepared for the online learning environment, so I'm not sure how a kindergartener can do it unless the parent is experienced with teaching or home schooling. But the program is huge, so I guess it must work out.

Exactly.
    Also, let's not forget that the main area developing in the early years is social skills -self awareness and awareness of others' unique qualities, effective, repectful communication, negotiating differences, accepting different opinions, learning tolerance, connecting emotionally (empathy, sympathy... even indifference and apathy), healing from hurt, etc. How do they learn all of this online????