Running Shoes

Options
Okayyy before I even ask my question I am going to preface this. "go to a running store" "get a gait analysis" "insert cliché answer to my question here" YES, I KNOW! I'm a flat footed, over pronator - not asking for advice more just curious.

Now...

Which running shoes do YOU personally like best. I'm going tomorrow to purchase a new pair of running shoes and I'm just curious what other people like. Specifically, which brand, do you over/under pronate, and anything else you'd like to add :)

Replies

• Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Altras- 0 mm drop but cushioned, hotel room for a toe box- say goodbye to black toe nails! yay!

Saucony Kinvaras- cushioned but light enough to be a great marathon shoe if that's your thing. great distance running shoe, holds up really well, pretty roomy toe box. 4 mm drop.

I also just started running in a pair of Mizuno Evo Levitas; I really like them so far but I can't speak too much for them since they have only like 35 miles on them. But they fit me well, are really light, the uppers are all mesh so no toe issues, and I did PR a 5k in them last week. You can't really wear them in the rain though without getting wet socks and they advertise as 0mm drop but they are really a 4mm.
  • vegwrangler
    vegwrangler Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I have always been a Mizuno lover - currently running in the Mizuno Evo Cursoris
  • RealMarkD
    RealMarkD Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I've been loyal to Nike for most of my life, and they've always fit the best & felt the most comfortable. I've also worn Asics and like those, to.
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I'm on my third pair of Mizunos and still loving them.
  • blackermagic
    Options
    I have been running long distance for about 10 years, and have used Asic's most of that time.

First 3 years I ran in Asic Kayano, but would get blisters with every couple of pairs.
    Last 7, I switched to Asic Nimbus, and never had a blister again.

The Nimbus is a neutral shoe, where the Kayano was for pronation.
  • Jlennhikes
    Jlennhikes Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Bought the slightly stabilizing Asics GT-2000 2, and they've been pretty awesome.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I'm a pretty neutral runner (I gait starts on the outside of my heel and goes to the ball of my foot) and I love the Saucony Guides. Right now I have 6s but I haven't looked at the 7s yet to see how they differ. I tried Nikes and Muzuno and always went back to Saucony.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Okayyy before I even ask my question I am going to preface this. "go to a running store" "get a gait analysis" "insert cliché answer to my question here" YES, I KNOW! I'm a flat footed, over pronator - not asking for advice more just curious.

Now...

Which running shoes do YOU personally like best. I'm going tomorrow to purchase a new pair of running shoes and I'm just curious what other people like. Specifically, which brand, do you over/under pronate, and anything else you'd like to add :)

I'm an Asics GT series girl. Their last apparently fits my foot the best.

I slightly overpronate, never been a really heavy runner (weight has been between 129 and 150 at 5'7" when running), really narrow heels.

Almost got talked into a pair of Brooks once, but decided to stick with Asics as they had done so well for me.

What I'd add:

-Make sure you have a full thumb width between your longest toe and the end of the shoe when standing. (Your longest toe may or may not be your big toe--mine is the second toe!) I've never had a black toenail, even when I was running a couple of halfs a year, and I'm sure that is why.

-Always buy wicking socks. Never ever ever ever ever even think about any sock with even a bit of cotton in it. Cotton absorbs several times its weight in sweat and then the sock moves against your foot-Blister City. So buy the fancy socks, try the shoes on with them too. :)

-Once you know what shoe works for you, buy them online and get last season's color. Usually at least 25% cheaper

-LOG MILES ON YOUR SHOES. They don't last forever. 300 miles is about average unless you are a very heavy runner or running on concrete. Might be fewer miles then. They'll look fine, but the midsole will be shot to hell and you need to replace the shoes by mileage--not how they look!
  • mlt2908
    mlt2908 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I am currently using Saucony Glide 7s and they are working great. It's a stability type shoe. I've worn Sauconys for years...lots of room in the toe box. I've had success with Brooks and Asics also but seem to always go back to Saucony. I did not like Nike so much, but I have only tried a couple pair in that brand.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Mizuno for the road -
    Wave Riders for daily trainers and marathon distance
    Wave Sayonaras for speedwork and 10k-HM
    Wave Ekidens for speedwork and up to 5K

Varying Salomon models for trails
  • astralweeks82
    astralweeks82 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Right now, Nike DualFusion Run 2. They're only my second pair of running shoes. I had Asics before and liked those a lot, but these feel amazing, and I will probably buy them again.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Vibram FF Treksport, my favourite for all surface running/walking. I have Vibrams Alitza's for indoor use which I also use on my eliptical, I'd run outdoor in them as well other then darn gravel getting in.
  • leachjg
    leachjg Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I started with Asics GT 2000 and they are great. I have a pair of Brooks Adrenaline. Love those as well. Just started running last August. I had bought another pair of Asics in between there and they were hard. I was told you get what you pay for with Asics.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been in love with my Saucony Kinvara 5. Very light, 4mm drop but still cushioned, roomy toes box. I'm on my second pair since May.

I also have Mizuno Rider 17, Sayonara and Ascend in rotation (not my favorites, speedwork, trails).
  • auntiemsgr8
    auntiemsgr8 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I love my new balance. Have 2 pair- most recent being the 860s. The new 880 is coming out next week if not sooner.

I also like Asics. Saucony are so good for me. I also have one pair of Brooks and they are just ok

I slightly pronate but nothing too terrible. But I still prefer a stability shoe
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Brooks Ghost 5 is what I run in now. Need to replace soon, planning to get the Ghost 6 or 7 next.
  • LadyRN76
    LadyRN76 Posts: 4,275 Member
    Options
    Saucony Kinvara 5 - I love the feel and the toe box is great and it has just enough cushion.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I mostly wear Brooks Beast/Addiction and New Balance whatever model number it is for that year. I have recently been able to wear Asics when in the past I was just too heavy and only New Balance/Brooks offered what I needed. I have flat feet and need motion control/stability type shoe to help with my severe over pronation. I vary in size from 14 to 15 and 2E to 4E in width.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i'm a little more loyal to New Balance i suppose, but i have a pair of saucony guide 7 that i love, and a pair of brooks pure cadence that i really love.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    For road runs, I am a big fan of the New Balance MR00 (over 800 miles on my first pair), the Merrell Road Glove, New Balance Hi-Rez (which is more like a glorified sock), Innov8 Bare-X 150, Altra Samson...

For trails, I like the Merrell Trail Glove, New Balance MT00, and the Montrail Fluid-Flex (for longer runs)...

I like having several pairs so I can rotate them... the shoes last longer and it seems to keep my stride where I want it....

I also like putting down some barefoot miles too, although I typically do that when I have to be on the dreadmill...