HRM....???

2LiveAgain
2LiveAgain Posts: 72
edited September 23 in Health and Weight Loss
I really need and want to get a HRM, but I don't have much money at all for one right now, anyone know of a good and accurate one that they have tried and know it works, that's a bit on the cheaper side???

Replies

• The Sportline Heart Rate Watch is a good one. It has a strap on HRM as well as touch HRM on the watch for "spot checking" your heart rate at times when you aren't wearing the strap. I picked mine up at Walmart, wasn't too expensive. IMHO, you def want one that has both a strap (around your chest) and a touch feature on the watch. Plus the strap "syncs" with most excercise equipment, although the calories burned shown on the machine will be about 20% higher than what the HRM shows (the HRM is the correct reading).
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    look on Ebay. That's where I got mine for $50 less than the usual price. It was brand new, in the original packaging still.
  • kacylaine
    kacylaine Posts: 154 Member
    Couldn't agree more w/ cjmariani. I got mine from walmart for just under 50 bucks. I love mine. Make sure you get one with the chest strap. It's extra money, but so worth it.
  • sweating_it_off
    sweating_it_off Posts: 5 Member
    how much you looking to spend?
  • agartin
    agartin Posts: 274 Member
    I am new to using HRM's but I just purchased my first : http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/oregon-se188.html

I knew I wanted one with a chest strap, and like you I needed one on the cheaper side.

I used it and also checked it's accuracy with the machine I was using (since I can input my info into the machine) and they were pretty neck and neck. My HRM said I burned a little fewer calories though so I went with that.. but I love it for workouts where I don't have a machine to monitor my heart rate.. such as step class, jogging outside or zumba! :)
  • stokesmommy
    stokesmommy Posts: 8 Member
    to start with for a liitle while you could always get an app for your phone mine works by placing my finger over the camera and it tellls me my HR. doesnt do calories but its a start
  • agartin
    to start with for a liitle while you could always get an app for your phone mine works by placing my finger over the camera and it tellls me my HR. doesnt do calories but its a start

Wow.. never heard of that.

I suppose you could guesstimate your calories burned after using that app with this calculator.

http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm

The first time I used my HRM I didn't know how to start my calorie counter but I still got my avg heart rate and was able to find calories burned with that. :)
  • I am new to using HRM's but I just purchased my first : http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/oregon-se188.html

I knew I wanted one with a chest strap, and like you I needed one on the cheaper side.

I used it and also checked it's accuracy with the machine I was using (since I can input my info into the machine) and they were pretty neck and neck. My HRM said I burned a little fewer calories though so I went with that.. but I love it for workouts where I don't have a machine to monitor my heart rate.. such as step class, jogging outside or zumba! :)

Thanks for that link! I just looked and they have it one sale for 44 right now, hopefully it'll stay til Friday!

Thanks everyone for your answers, I was looking for one around 50, so now I have a couple places to look1 Also, another question, which is somewhat embarrassing, but I've obviously never had an hrm or a chest strap, so how are the chest straps? I mean, is the strap adjustable and would it fit on someone my size or are they typically for smaller people?
  • agartin
    I am new to using HRM's but I just purchased my first : http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/oregon-se188.html

Thanks for that link! I just looked and they have it one sale for 44 right now, hopefully it'll stay til Friday!

Thanks everyone for your answers, I was looking for one around 50, so now I have a couple places to look1 Also, another question, which is somewhat embarrassing, but I've obviously never had an hrm or a chest strap, so how are the chest straps? I mean, is the strap adjustable and would it fit on someone my size or are they typically for smaller people?

Be sure to look for coupon codes on google when you order! I was lucky to find a 10% off code but I can't remember which one it was.

The chest straps are stretchy and adjustable.. kind of like a bra shoulder strap. :smile: lol

When I use mine, I can't even feel the chest strap.
  • I am new to using HRM's but I just purchased my first : http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/oregon-se188.html

Be sure to look for coupon codes on google when you order! I was lucky to find a 10% off code but I can't remember which one it was.

The chest straps are stretchy and adjustable.. kind of like a bra shoulder strap. :smile: lol

When I use mine, I can't even feel the chest strap.

thank you !!!:happy:
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member

I ordered a Polar HRM, but in the meantime I have also been using the cell phone app, and it works like a charm. Works well if you don't otherwise have a HRM handy.
This discussion has been closed.