What Happens If Weight Stays the Same

I understand bulking and cutting and the concepts of calorie deficit and surplus. But my question is, what happens if you work out both weight lifting and cardio and eat enough to not lose weight nor gain weight while doing so? My specifics in case you want them:

I am 5'9 and weigh 173 lbs.

Generally, I average 2400-2600 calories per day. My macros generally fall around 200-270g Carbs (Fruits, Vegetables Whole Grains, Brown Rice and the like), 170-200g protein and 65g+ fat.

My routine is as follows: Day 1 Weight Training of Chest, Back (including shoulders), Legs. Day 2- HIIT on the treadmill. Day 3 - Rest. Repeat this 3 day formula in a continuous cycle.

I weigh myself on Sundays. Again, what if anything is happening to my body if each Sunday weigh in I weigh the same 173 lbs? Would there be any change in Body Fat or Muscle gain? Or is the answer that it just stays the same, aka no change?

Replies

• markjacobs1987
    markjacobs1987 Posts: 162 Member
    Well measurements will really tell the story if you are losing body fat and gaining muscle. If you haven't been taking measurements I suggest you do so and that will tell you if you are making any progress or just maintaining. Also are you looking to achieve a certain goal (add muscle/bulk, lose fat)? If I knew this I could better help you with your question.
  • ltoledo23
    ltoledo23 Posts: 2 Member
    First, thanks for attempting to answer. I would say my first goal is to lose more body fat BUT I would also like to gain some muscle, if not muscle tone, as well. More than anything I want to look cut with a flat stomach. A long shot but I'm gong for it. I was just curious if maintaining weight while working out changes your body positively (i.e., lose fat and gain muscle)?
  • AvonBell
    AvonBell Posts: 107 Member
    There are many health benefits associated with strength training such as stronger bones and more stamina. These kinds of general health benefits can be achieved while lifting at maintenance.

But to lose body fat you have to combine it with a calorie deficit. You want a flatter stomach? Cut calories. You want to look more toned? Cut calories. On the other hand, if you want to grow your muscles, consume a calorie surplus.

Typically, you focus on cutting the fat first and then growing the muscles. Trying to do both at the same time is improbable and impractical.
  • markjacobs1987
    markjacobs1987 Posts: 162 Member
    As Avon said yes it is possible to gain muscle and lose fat at maintenance and as I said in my first post that's where measurements will tell you the story. Your measurements will change if you are building muscle and losing fat. Now as for getting a flatter stomach eating at 2400-2600 is probably a bit too much considering you are not losing at that amount. I would try eating at 2200-2400 and also eating at a ratio of 50% protein, 30% carbs, and 20% fat or 40% protein, 40% carbs, 20% fats. Eating higher carbs is something that is better at a bulking or maintaining stage. You want to have higher protein numbers for shredding that belly fat. I hope this helps!