Sugar cravings - how do you cope?

Options
1235»

Replies

• Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    "Then one day last week I just HAD to have these double-chocolate cookies from Safeway. They tasted like heaven. Now every day since then it's been something. York peppermint patties, Skittles, Starbucks pastries, and last night, the killer: an entire box of those original amazing cookies. I didn't eat all of them (I think that would have killed me), but I wanted to. I ate three (900 calories!) and felt physically sick to my stomach. This morning I was snacking on yet another one (yes, after I felt so horrible last night!) before I stepped on the scale and there it was… "

this is why i've quit sugar. Once your start back on it , you just tend to keep going.

Actually i haven't quit entirely. I created some rules that allow me to eat it in low risk situations. Nevertheless, its about commitment and knowing how much of a problem sugar is for you and deciding that you don't want to be a victim to it anymore.

I quit sugar because i can't control my intake when i try to do moderation or anything else like that. And when i eat sugar, i tend not to eat other healthy foods at all. I quit sugar in January.

Since then i've had it about 6 times now. My rule is that i can have it when i am at someone's else's house or an out of my house sitatuiosn when it is offered to me. Then it is quite a spontaneous occasion. Also in that situation, i can only one have one serve. And i cannot ask for it.

These rules have helped me let go of sugar.

The other day we had a party at work where there were three desserts. This has been the hardest event since i quit because i wanted at least two of them. However i know for me that its essential i stick to rules because once i break them, i tend to keep breaking them. so i stuck to it that day even though it was a bit painful. And then you feel good and strong and i know there will be another time when i will get to have that other missing dessert. Meanwile the main thing was that i wasn't hungry. I had already eaten enough of the healthy filling foods by the time dessert came out.

Its a mental thing. You have to work on your commitment and resolve a lot.

I like being sugar free. It is hard sometimes but most of the time it is not. But its something that you have to commit to every day. I think it will take longer to be really free of sugar than it took me to be free of cigarettes because cigs at least are rather horrid and antisocial which is the not the same for sweet things. Nevertheless, i like being slim and having quit sugar has enabled me to get slim this time. And i intend to stay this way.

I love my food. I make sure i eat a varied and delicious diet with many savoury treats. My diet is a lot better now than when i started out earlier in the year. I am really enjoying cooking and shopping and so on. I am eating all sorts of things, just not refined sugars. I get enough sweetness from fresh fruit and some dried fruits. I have to be careful with the latter also. But they are really delicious Figs and fresh dates are my favourites.
  • DavidVWallace
    Options
    Hu
  • allisoncrompton981
    Options
    I agree, sounds like it's a problem binging on sugar. I have food issues, and prefer sweets, so what I've found is I can't buy it and have a bag sitting around and luckily I can do that right now. But I do believe it's useless to try to go cold-turkey so I had a trainer tell me that when I have a craving for say a Snickers bar, go and buy one at 7-11, eat it and that's my treat for the week, and I try to make sure it fits into my calorie count for the day.
  • chloe2300
    chloe2300 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    If I'm desperately craving sugar I'll have one of the 99cal 'funsive' chocolate bars but most days I can get by with low calorie hot chocolate - I make it with 1tsp of powder so it's only 20 calories and 2g of sugar per mug. I also sometimes have boiled sweets (either Werther's Originals or Fox Glacier Fruits), they're a bit worse (20cal, 4g of sugar) but one lasts ages.
  • japaneseboy
    japaneseboy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm using water ice to indulge my sweet tooth.
    They are 40 ml (1.3 oz) and have only 16 kcal (4g sugar, rest is water).
    Especially now in the summer i eat them daily. Sometimes even 3 per day, which are still under 50 kcal total.

tAGE30I_wassereis.jpeg