No motivation or will power :'(

Options
I don't know what to do. Well, I do but I struggle. Trying to lose weight is tough when all I ever do is go back on my word. For example, I woke up in a good frame of mind this morning, had a good breakfast then went and ate a breakfast wrap at the pub for no reason. I've wound myself up to the point of just wanting to purge now. This happens regularly. Why can't I change my way of thinking? :( any help and advice is appreciated x

Replies

• _Clarana_
    _Clarana_ Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I think learning the difference between hunger and eating out of boredom/sadness/habit/the ohf***it feeling, etc. is important...then when you have the urge to eat and it's not out of hunger, replace it with something that makes you feel better. Also be kind to yourself...I always eat more, or eat for no reason, when I'm just generally feeling crappy about myself and unmotivated. It makes you feel like you might as well, when really you know you can do better.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I would consider seeking professional help if you have the desire to purge. That sounds to me like more than not having motivation or will power.
  • cloemillerpicton1
    cloemillerpicton1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It's only been this week... I just need to stop snacking but struggle to. Like you said, it's out of boredom. Not really sure what to do to be honest
  • cokefloat1
    cokefloat1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Why worry about eating a little extra. I don't restrict myself from anything but make sure that if I indulge then I do the exercise to work it off.

In this way I keep myself happy in body and mind :)

What bugs me a lot about this site is that quite a few people seem to be punishing themselves. In my opinion it's all about balance.
  • cokefloat1
    cokefloat1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    If you're getting bored find something to do. Not sure if you're working or a student but if you're in the office and craving something out of boredom go for a walk and see a colleague about something rather than emailing them.

If you're a student, get out, go for a walk (away from busy streets where there could be food distractions) or get yourself a hobby. I've taken up cycling which I used to love and am loving again having rediscovered it. If I'm bored I just go out for a ride then enjoy the spoils of having something nice when I get back to claim back the calories! Win win situation!!!
  • ZaCkOX
    ZaCkOX Posts: 115
    Options
    I don't know what to do. Well, I do but I struggle. Trying to lose weight is tough when all I ever do is go back on my word. For example, I woke up in a good frame of mind this morning, had a good breakfast then went and ate a breakfast wrap at the pub for no reason. I've wound myself up to the point of just wanting to purge now. This happens regularly. Why can't I change my way of thinking? :( any help and advice is appreciated x

Will power comes from within you. Without it, you will do this all the time. What I have done is eat less and less, eventually my stomach shrunk where I cannot eat as much anymore or I feel sick.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    How about setting one goal for the week. Like drinking 8 glasses of water a day for 7 days for exemple. I found that weight loss has nothing to do with motivation and will power and everything to do with habits. Take one steps at a time and eventually you will get there.....maybe not fast enough for your taste but going slowly is better than never getting there.

Good luck
  • TashTag
    TashTag Posts: 109
    Options
    I have the same issue, i have found a lot of inspiration and ideas on instagrma and seeing major success stories used to get me green with envy but now i use it as fuel. Power to push and keep going. I created an inspiration wall in front of my treadmill with things that inspire me and that i want to work towards. Ive spread the word and got all or most friends and family on board with the fact that im on a mission so their constant support keeps me going. I know how people say to do it for yourself. But I feel like if ive got alot of people 'counting' on me to succeed then how can i let them down. Yes its for me but sometimes i cant find it in myself, i cant make myself feel like i deserve it but other people do.

Small changes and small goals are a great idea. I have slowly done one little thing at a time.

I hope this helps and if you ever need a push add me :) #tashtag
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    It's only been this week... I just need to stop snacking but struggle to. Like you said, it's out of boredom. Not really sure what to do to be honest

Even so, wanting to "purge" is rather a strong reaction to not being happy about what you ate.