<<<Quest Bars>>>

Options
As many of you may know Quest Bar company was sued early this year for mislabeling. Does anybody know if the company ever adjusted the calories on the label to make them accurate? Or are they still off? Right now the cals say 160 so I add 40 to overcompensate...I know it's not a big deal but I've been eating them every day and the calories add up throughout the course of a week!

Replies

• lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    As far as I know nothing has changed, but danged if that means I'll give up my bars. I'd rather overestimate/work out a little extra forever than give them up.
  • jgoulet003
    jgoulet003 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have a box of their bars right now and mine say 180. But I have no idea if they were actually changed or not.
  • azrubael
    azrubael Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    The suit is still pending and from what I have read on the topic I believe the labels are correct.

In response to the suit Quest has posted this information.

Response to lawsuit:
    Quest has been named in a lawsuit regarding the amount of fiber in our bars and all the allegations are false. We are fighting this case to make it clear to our customers and partners that our label information is 100% accurate. Anyone can claim anything they want in a lawsuit. They don't even have to provide proof. Proving it, however, requires science, and the science is on our side - http://blog.questnutrition.com/fiber-count/. If there's anything else we can do, call us anytime at 1-888-212-0601 or email us at support@questnutrition.com.
    For more insights about the false allegations, check out this post from our President Tom Bilyeu at http://blog.questnutrition.com/are-quest-bars-too-good-to-be-true/.
    Calorie/Fiber Accuracy:
    Having the correct nutrition fact labels on our products is a central principle of our company. We use the leading industry software to arrive at our nutrition labels. It is expensive and highly accurate as it allows us to break every ingredient down exactly to arrive at the correct macronutrient and caloric values.
    Since the calculations the software uses are very exact and complex, it may not exactly match the quick math you do by working with the numbers on the nutrition facts panel.
    Bear in mind that the FDA requires us to round all of the values in the nutrition facts panel in very specific ways so this may prevent the math from adding up perfectly. For example, it might say 6 grams of fat on the label even though there's actually only 5.51 grams of actual fat in the product. Their rules mandate that it has to be rounded up to 6 even though the calorie value is figured using 5.51 grams.
    Another thing that can make things difficult to add up is erythritol, which has to be listed as a carbohydrate even though it is almost calorie free, containing .2 calories per gram.
    Additionally, Quest Bars contain dietary fiber from a variety of sources. Different fiber sources have different caloric values and this is taken into account on the label. For example, Isomalto-oligosaccharides have very few calories per gram while other fiber sources may have more or less. We calculate the calories from fiber based on the individual fiber source and how much of that fiber source is contained in the bar.
    Here are some examples of nutrition facts on a few products so you see how the FDA rounding prevents things from adding up exactly:
    Chocolate Brownie: Total fat 6g Fiber 19g Other carb 5g Protein 20g Total Actual Calories 167.3 Total Calories after FDA rounding 170
    Mixed Berry: Total fat 8g Fiber 18g Other carb 4g Protein 20g Total Actual Calories 195.4
    Total Calories after FDA rounding 200
    Double Chocolate Chunk: Total fat 6g Fiber 16g Erythritol 6g Other carb 3g Protein 20g
    Total Actual Calories 161.4 Total Calories after FDA rounding 160
    We hope that answers your question, but if it does not, please feel free to reach out to us again at support@questnutrition.com.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Who cares.

If the bars were 40 calories off... do you really think that makes a difference in a life long fitness game?

You're not trying to be fit for a month... it's LIFELONG. 40 calories won't do anything.... hell even 500 won't do anything.

Don't be so worried about something so small. 40 calories is a few minutes of WALKING.
  • leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    All the ones I've seen are like 180 calories

They're too expensive for me anyway, I bought one, the pbj one and wasn't super impressed. Can't afford to spend $2+ each time I buy them.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    No change. Still off.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    People are commenting here as if all Quest bars have the same number of calories. My guess is that the OP has Double Chocolate Chunk, which are 160 calories. Apple Pie is 170, Cookies and Cream is 180, and Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough is 190, etc.

No, the labels have not changed. No, I don't overestimate the calories. No, I don't work out harder to "make up" for any inaccuracies that may or may not exist. I eat 4 Quest bars per week, log it as the amount of calories on the package, and lose weight consistently. No need to change anything until they actually change what's on the label. In the long run, who cares?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    In the long run, who cares?

I thought it was rather apparent, the person posting the thread cares. Some of the folks who replied care, or care enough to reply. Just like you cared enough to respond in a dismissive manner attempting to invalidate their cares, opinions and concerns.

It takes all kinds. :)