Fluctuating Weight-How do I track progress??

Options
I try not to weigh myself too often and watch what I eat. The problem is every time I weigh myself I fluctuate 3-5 lbs. They say its healthy to lose 0.5-1 lb. a week. Very frustrating when you are always in a 3-5 lb range if any of eating healthy etc. is working. I am absolutely lost in trying to lose weight. My goal is to lose 10 lbs max so its not a major issue. I just don't know how to tackle it when the scale always fluctuates. Its hard to track progress. Any advice from people who are in the same boat would be most helpful.

Replies

• markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself less , watch the trend .. adjust consumption / add extra exercise if you notice the trend change direction.

weekly weigh ins seem to work for me but loads of us understand the frustration from short term fluctuations
  • laserbeans
    laserbeans Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try tracking body measurements in addition to your weight. You may be losing fat but gaining muscle, making your total gains/losses a wash. Tracking, say, your waist measurement may give you a better grasp on whether you're slimming down.
  • chrs86
    chrs86 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Weigh everyday since you don't have much to lose. It's easier to tell what's causing the fluctuations. Track your food each day and weigh. Basically it, so adjust accordingly. Good luck.
  • Scubdup
    Scubdup Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Tracking, say, your waist measurement may give you a better grasp on whether you're slimming down.

That's what I was going to suggest. I'm recording mine. It was a bit depressing seeing so little change until I did some reading that suggested that for me, half an inch waist loss represents about 2kg (4.5lbs).

I've started paying more attention to that measurement instead of the scales.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Weigh and measure yourself under the same conditions once a week. Look at the trend about every 4-6 weeks. If the trend is going downwards then you are losing, if not, reevaluate your weight loss plan.
  • amykhughes
    amykhughes Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I like weightgrapher.com. I'm sure there are similar sites, but it shows your trend. Even though my weight bounces around, I see my trend line going down and that keeps me motivated.
  • bootygroove
    bootygroove Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My honest and best advice is to throw the scale in the trash, and use a measuring tape. If you go by numbers you will always be disappointed, but if you use a measuring tape you will always see your true success.
  • WineVine
    WineVine Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I use trendweight.com.