hi should you weight your food raw or cooked

Options
i some times do both but with one is the right way :huh:

Replies

• ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I believe it depends on what NI information you are using. I see on the USDA website they do both for some things. For example, they have russet potato, but they also have baked russet potato. So there is options, you just need to pick the right one.

However, I will add, that I think raw is the most accurate, but not always possible. The reason I say that is because the cooked weight can be different depending on how you cook it. For example, a medium rare sirloin steak is going to weigh more when it is cooked than a well done sirloin steak. I feel the difference is probably not much to quibble over though.
  • skyfall76
    skyfall76 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Raw
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    raw
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    the two guys above me both have abs....abs are tough to achieve. i would listen to them.
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    the two guys above me both have abs....abs are tough to achieve. i would listen to them.

:laugh: So true! I always think the same thing.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Cooked.

Personally, I buy a ton of meat weekly and freeze it. If I weighed it raw, I would also weigh the meat with ice and water retention, not to mention it's messy.

I've always weighed cooked.

PS... I have abs also, and I powerlift....
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I weigh mine raw. I'd rather overestimate my calories than underestimate them. Cooking foods reduces their weight because some of the moisture content is evaporated so if you weigh them after they're cooked, you're going to be eating more calories than you think.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    i some times do both but with one is the right way :huh:

Depends. If you use raw or cooked tracking entries.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    The thing is, when you cook it it will lose some of it's weight through the cooking process depending on how you cook. Some of this is splitting hairs though, just pick a method and be consistant.
  • rebeccaisafish
    rebeccaisafish Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I always use raw, it just makes more sense to me seeing as you can't be always be sure of how the "cooked" entries were cooked. As long as you use the raw database entry when using raw food, and the cooked entry if you're weighing cooked food you will probably be fine though.

Also don't use the cooked measurements because the majority of my cooking using lots of ingredients, so it wouldn't be possible to weigh it cooked, unlike people who are having a simple baked piece of fish or a baked potato or whatever.
  • jjeanmneis
    jjeanmneis Posts: 83 Member
    Options

xray vision here cause one has a shirt on

oh yeah, btw, i agree with raw for meat and cooked for veg
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    The thing is, when you cook it it will lose some of it's weight through the cooking process depending on how you cook. Some of this is splitting hairs though, just pick a method and be consistant.

Partially my point there - 1 chicken breast raw will have a different weight and macros once cooked - say grilled.
    I personally track in the state the food is before eating!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It's actually hilarious when you see some packages... the same patty will have 160 calories raw and 130 calories cooked. Always boggles my mind.

I log raw when possible, but typically I make big batches so I end up using cooked, and cooked entries (a lot of the meat I buy gives nutrition as cooked anyway so I just use that, if not I use the generic MFP entries).