P90X...Can someone explain?

Options
Hi all. I've just been at it for a week and a half and have been working out a the gym but just mainly treadmill and elliptical. I've seen P90X mentioned quite a few times on this site and I was just wondering what is special about it. I was looking on their website and the exercise program is pretty pricey. Was wondering if it was worth the investment. Thanks and sorry about the noob question :)

Replies

• MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I think it's probably worth it if you're going to put in the effort. It's a very challenging program (from what i hear) but you do get great results if you see it through. I personally have never done it, price for me is definitely a detterent but a lot of people here have and have had success with it.
  • tuduis
    tuduis Posts: 67
    Options
    IMO it's totally worth it, as long as you're willing to commit. If you're seriously considering it, I'd look on ebay for the DVD set at a cheaper price and pickup the rest of the gear at your local sports store.

Basically P90X is a hardcore total body workout that will improve strength, cardio, and flexibility as long as you follow the diet and keep on pushing play. As they say in the DVD's "Just do your best, and forget the rest".
  • blewis1984
    blewis1984 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My roommate has been doing P90X for the past couple of months and his results are definately noticeable. But, as others said, it is a pretty intense program. Most people can't finish a single workout when they first start it.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Hi, P90X is definitely hardcore. It is made by Team Beachbody, You do need to be wanting to do hardcore and be serious about it.

I love anything made by Beachbody, although I have not tried P90X myself as I thought it was a bit too hardcore for me.

I have, however, purchased ChaLean Extreme--go online and look at that one. More of a P90X, less hardcore. Or even P90. But you cannot go wrong with anything by Beachbody--so long as you committ. I lost 4-1/4 inches in my first week with Chalean extreme.
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I've just been at it for a week and a half and have been working out a the gym but just mainly treadmill and elliptical. I've seen P90X mentioned quite a few times on this site and I was just wondering what is special about it. I was looking on their website and the exercise program is pretty pricey. Was wondering if it was worth the investment. Thanks and sorry about the noob question :)

Hey Johanna,

Yes the program is a bit pricey, but in my opinion it is 100% completely worth it. I used to work out at the gym on a daily basis. However in order for me to get the kind of burn I was looking for my trainer put together a fast pace circuit training routine. It was very easy with the trainer to move from exercise to exercise, because if a certain machine was being used he subbed something else in. Problem was when I stopped using a trainer I felt lost. I would end up waiting around for a certain machine, so every time I got my heart rate up, I would cool down and have to start all over. A 1 hour work out would take 2 hours. Plus having to stop and go break up a fight between my kids in the child care.

So one night I saw the infomercial for P90X. The rest is history. It was the best move I ever made. I can now work out at home when I want. No more paying for trainers and no more waiting for machines or dumbbells.

Hope this helps,
    Stu
  • erikblock
    erikblock Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    P90X is awesome, but it's definitely not for beginners. Unless your fitness level is already pretty high, I would start with regular Power90 first. P90X is developed for people who are already in good shape and want to bring their fitness to the next level. I've done the regular Power90 program all the way through several times in the past, and I love it. It's fun, relatively simple, and it does produce results.

(A warning: Tony Horton seems really annoying at first, but you sort of get used to him.) :)
  • ahbach2005
    Options
    You may want to look into what a personal trainer would cost you....with very little time invested a good trainer could oultone a program throught the equipment and classes at your gym and you would get the same effect.....

Some times a trainer is a better resource than a dvd

That being said I have heard good things from people who have used it.
    It doesn't hert to ask @ your gym
  • ahbach2005
    Options
    sorry double post
  • dgoforth
    dgoforth Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If you're going to do it, it is absolutely worth it. I've done it twice and love it. Also, another good thing about it is that I use most of the same exercises in P90X when I go to the gym now.

One thing to consider, if you're going to do it at home, you'll need either dumbbells or bands and a pull up bar. That adds up as well.
  • whitelizabeth
    whitelizabeth Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend it IF you absolutely know that you will commit up to an hour and a half a day to work out. Also, if you are going to do it, try to follow the meal plan. I did last year and followed the meal plan. It takes dedication to spend that much time working out and preparing meals but it was completely worth it. I lost 12 pounds the first month alone and by the end had a really nice stomach. A lot of people get excited about it and don't finish it so they waste a lot of money. I was able to complete even with my 3 year old sometimes sitting there watching and trying to talk to me.
  • CrimsonScotty
    CrimsonScotty Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    definitely worth the money if you want to get in the bast shape you've ever been in, but it's not for the faint of heart, when they say it's an "extreme fitness program" they mean what they say, it is extreme. If you're not sure, find the "Fit Test" on the website and go through it and see how you do, it will give you a good indication if it will be right for you. Good Luck!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    P90X is a collection of exercise DVDs which use various different exercise styles to cause what they call "muscle confusion" if I recall correctly. The idea is that using that approach will force your body to constantly have to adapt rather than becoming used to your routine. Whether there is any actual science behind that concept I don't know, and have not checked. In some ways the concept makes some sense, but at the same time when it comes down to it you want to burn calories and intense activity, even stuff your body is used to will do that.

As for the program, I have tried it, but for me personally there is way too much Yoga moves. I thankfully had one I could borrow to try it, and am glad I did so I didn't have to lay out the cash for something I would not use. The workouts are very intense and unless you are in fairly good physical condition you will find them very challenging. I found at first I could not keep up or sometimes get through the whole workout. The great thing is that since you do it at home you can take your time and if you are a bit behind the leaders or need to take a rest you can without having the sense that others may be watching.

My opinion is it is an excellent intense workout program that requires some coordination to do all the different types of programs. That need of coordination is true for most intense programs I have seen. For me, it was not the right program because I can't stand all the Yoga for various reasons. I instead opted for Insanity (also from Beach Body) which is also very intense. If you have joint problems Insanity is not for you though as it offers no lower impact options, which P90X does offer from what I remember.

Jim
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options

Hey Johanna,

Yes the program is a bit pricey, but in my opinion it is 100% completely worth it.

check out craigslist before paying full price I got mine brand new in wrapper with resistant bands for 60$ ... that's the same price as the gym membership for hubby and I
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    check out this thread...lots of different opinions

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/154925-p90x-don-t-do-it
  • johaleesi
    johaleesi Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. This was definitely a lot of info that I needed. I think that P90X is not for me, as I am in no way "in good shape". I am pretty heavy now as it is, so if it's something that will be physically impossible for me to do, I'd rather look into something else. I am definitely committed to working out 1-2 hours a day, I am actually doing that right now, but not high intensity.

I will look into the other options mentioned in this thread, the regular P90 and ChaLean to see if they are a better fit. I also follow a low carb diet, so I wouldn't be changing into the diet that this exercise program comes with.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    You may want to look into what a personal trainer would cost you....with very little time invested a good trainer could oultone a program throught the equipment and classes at your gym and you would get the same effect.....

Some times a trainer is a better resource than a dvd

That being said I have heard good things from people who have used it.
    It doesn't hert to ask @ your gym

This is true for most DVDs out on the market; however, not with a Beachbody DVD. The knowledge that Chalene or Tony Horton, or Shaun T have is incredible and they teach you and push the whole way through. Trust me, I regard every session in front of my TV as a session with a personal trainer--you get out of it what you put into it. plus, a trainer cost way more than $120.00, which is what I paid for my Chalean Extreme. or what you will pay for power 90.
  • cogito78
    Options
    johanna,

As i see you are absolutely rocking the elliptical : ) The important thing would be to mix it up - which is one of the elements of p90x or what i do - crossfit. I love doing the elliptical but your body will get used to it and you will have less returns. It could be switching between the brands of equipment, the programs on the machine or working in the rower, treadmill, etc.