How to incorporate flax seeds, chia seeds into your diet?

Options
Many of you have probably heard of the health benefits that flax and chia seeds have, so I was wondering if any of you guys know of any good ideas as to how to incorporate them into your diet? So far, I've been mixing them in with my oatmeal and with waffle mix.

Replies

• bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    If you can get milled flax seed, it's pretty easy to incorporate into foods- it's ground up so you don't have the chunky seeds in your food. I use it in protein shakes, smoothies, pancakes, oatmeal, banana breads... Usually carb-y things with a sweet or strong taste
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I don't know about chia seeds, but I regularly eat greek yogurt for breakfast. I mix a tablespoon of ground flax meal into my yogurt. It gives it a bit of chewiness and a slightly nutty flavor. It's very subtle, so it doesn't alter the taste of the yogurt for the worse. I really like it. Ground flax meal can be mixed into a lot of things - even smoothies, if you're into those. Make sure to keep it refrigerated, as once ground, flax seeds can go rancid at room temperature. Whole flax seeds are OK at room temp.
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I use chia seeds in my smoothies or when I'm baking. The chia seeds will gel up when mixed with water and can be used as an egg replacement. Chia seed pudding is good too! I also like to mix them into my oatmeal or protein pancakes. I've also heard of people adding them to their yogurt.
  • youareorange
    youareorange Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I use chia seeds to make a rice pudding-like dessert. Put chia seeds in, add almond milk or whatever milk you'd like and put it in the fridge for about an hour. The chia seeds absorb the milk and expand and you get this really like tapioca-like dessert that is much healthier!
  • carnavore
    Options
    Like a champ, I just put on my protein shake. Then I'm like nom nom nom!
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    NUtribullet those suckers and you can out them in anything
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I bought Chia seeds on Sunday from Costco because they were a great deal! However, I started putting them into my morning smoothies and Monday, Tuesday and today I've had some serious issues with gastro problems (I have been in the bathroom FAR too many times to count). :( Am I alone in this? I've read some articles that say both sides of the extreme so was wondering if anyone else had this issue.
  • ricy074
    ricy074 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i put them into almost anything liquid. soups, gravy, shakes, water, ice tea, lemonade, etc. latest one is in my cottage cheese, omellete/ scramble mix, pancake, cake, muffin mixes, etc. just let it set for a few mins. bout 15-20. if you cant wait that long for example in the AM then make a concentrate the night before. enough liquid for the seeds added and put in the fridge. in the AM add the gel to your smoothie/shake.
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    i put them into almost anything liquid. soups, gravy, shakes, water, ice tea, lemonade, etc. latest one is in my cottage cheese, omellete/ scramble mix, pancake, cake, muffin mixes, etc. just let it set for a few mins. bout 15-20. if you cant wait that long for example in the AM then make a concentrate the night before. enough liquid for the seeds added and put in the fridge. in the AM add the gel to your smoothie/shake.

I make my shake around 7:15 and don't even drink it until at least 8:30 so it's been sitting over an hour and I still get sick from it. Seems to be common amongst blogs I've read on chia. Some people have allergies. Well, better to have an allergy to chia than to chocolate ;) LOL
  • lockeddoor
    lockeddoor Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I mix chia seeds into my oatmeal, muffins, pancakes and peanut butter cookies. Pretty easy, can't taste it. You can grind it if you don't like seeds, but I don't grind them because I'm lazy.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    In my oatmeal
    On my salads
    In my green smoothies
    In my hamburger patties
    in my yogurt...
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    In oatmeal and yogurt...also, I use ground flax seed and water as an egg replacement when baking. My daughter has a severe egg allergy. The ground flax works really well!
  • Jonalee1977
    Jonalee1977 Posts: 415 Member
    Options

I make my shake around 7:15 and don't even drink it until at least 8:30 so it's been sitting over an hour and I still get sick from it. Seems to be common amongst blogs I've read on chia. Some people have allergies. Well, better to have an allergy to chia than to chocolate ;) LOL

How much are you using? Try cutting back and start upping your intake slowly. Your inside probably don't know what hit it at the moment.

To the OP, I put a tablespoons of chia seeds and a tablespoon of whole flax seeds in my smoothie every morning. My Nutribullet pulverizes them and I don't notice a change in consistency at all. I will also put a tablespoon of chia seeds in my oatmeal, but I let them sit in a little bit of milk while I'm cooking it. I like the tapioca-ish texture, but some people don't.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I use chia seeds to make a rice pudding-like dessert. Put chia seeds in, add almond milk or whatever milk you'd like and put it in the fridge for about an hour. The chia seeds absorb the milk and expand and you get this really like tapioca-like dessert that is much healthier!

That sounds good. You replace the rice with chia seeds? How much chia seeds and how much milk for how many servings? How much do chia seeds cost?

Flax - I get oatmeal at Whole Foods that already has it in there.
  • ricy074
    ricy074 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    imagine if you had an allergy to chocolate?? i agree try cutting back the portion and also try it at a different time of the day in other liquids. also check the combo of ingredients you are using it with. it could be something else. last i read that too much fiber at once could cause discomfort in some.
  • azwen
    azwen Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I put either or both into smoothies, depending on my mood. I also put a tbsp. into my sports bottle of water sometimes. They absorb some water and become slippery; I hardly notice them as I drink. I also sprinkle milled flax on my cereal when I eat that. Haven't had oatmeal recently; it's too hot! But when it gets cooler, I'm sure I'll use the seeds in oatmeal, too.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I just put a tablespoon into my daily plain yogurt and berries.
  • IllustratedxGirl
    IllustratedxGirl Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I make a shake with them every morning.. Almond milk, strawberries, blueberries, flax seeds, chia seeds, acai powder, cacao, chocolate hemp protein powder

It's my superfood smoothie :)
  • Stella_Mayfair
    Stella_Mayfair Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried chai. I LOVE flax and mouth waters over hemp seeds. I eat hemp seeds alone with water. Flax in smoothies, homemade cookies/muffins, cereal. or I just take a tsp and down it with water. Loge the taste but scared I may get it stuck in my throat/esophagus, since flax bulks
  • dhall2011
    dhall2011 Posts: 209
    Options
    I eat chia seeds/drink them every day nearly. I either put them in my smoothie (greens, fruit, and water), or I make chia fresca. 1 top of chia seeds in a cup of water, a squirting of lemon or lime juice to taste, stir, let sit 10-15 min, stir again, enjoy. The seeds are chewy and some are still crunchy but I feel so good after. It's my new energy drink/afternoon pick me up.