Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard flavour recommendations

Options
I am looking to try ON Gold Standard Whey. But they have SO many flavour options I'm finding it hard to choose! I usually go for vanilla with protein shakes, but ON even have 2 vanilla flavours!! I don't mind chocolate flavours but as I have a shake so early in the morning I don't really like the idea of chocolate so early!

Can anyone recommend a good flavour??

Replies

• accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    French Vanilla tastes incredible in orange juice...but i dont drink much orange juice anymore...
    The chocolate was better than average for protein in my opinion
    The strawberry was pretty yummy if i remember correctly. Less fake tasting than others...but this was 8 years ago.
    Really I never had a bad one...try something that sounds good and if you dont like it...ship it to me

Here are some flavor ratings from a huge supplier website:
    Banana Cream 8.5
    Caramel Toffee Fudge 8.2
    Chocolate Malt 8.6
    Chocolate Mint 8.5
    Cookies & Cream 8.1
    Delicious Strawberry 8.1
    Double Rich Chocolate 8.7
    Extreme Milk Chocolate 9.0
    French Vanilla Creme 8.5
    Mocha Cappuccino 9.0
    Rocky Road 8.2
    Strawberry Banana 8.3
    Tropical Punch 7.7
    Vanilla Ice Cream 7.8
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    French Vanilla tastes incredible in orange juice...but i dont drink much orange juice anymore...
    The chocolate was better than average for protein in my opinion
    The strawberry was pretty yummy if i remember correctly. Less fake tasting than others...but this was 8 years ago.
    Really I never had a bad one...try something that sounds good and if you dont like it...ship it to me

Here are some flavor ratings from a huge supplier website:
    Banana Cream 8.5
    Caramel Toffee Fudge 8.2
    Chocolate Malt 8.6
    Chocolate Mint 8.5
    Cookies & Cream 8.1
    Delicious Strawberry 8.1
    Double Rich Chocolate 8.7
    Extreme Milk Chocolate 9.0
    French Vanilla Creme 8.5
    Mocha Cappuccino 9.0
    Rocky Road 8.2
    Strawberry Banana 8.3
    Tropical Punch 7.7
    Vanilla Ice Cream 7.8

Thanks! I think I saw this rating scale on bodybuilding.com. I have heard the chocolate flavours are the best but I am reluctant to buy as I think it would be too rich to have so early in the morning (for me anyway). I also heard the added cocoa reduces the protein content, albeit only slightly (about 5%)
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    You can add more water to make it less rich. I mess with the amount of milk or water i add to all my supplements to get the desired flavor. Like very little water in my preworkout so it feels like i just ate a pixy stick...haha. Or just a bit of milk with my s'mores protein cuz the flavor is very robust that way and smores are awesome.

I put a bunch of water in my vanilla casein though cuz Universal's vanilla kind of sucks...so if i add more water the flavor is less intense and I can drink it...haha.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I use their double rich chocolate. I know you said you drink it in the morning, so I totally agree that it might be a little early for that taste! However, I usually drink it in the evening after a workout, and its definitely the best tasting protein powder I've ever had, either with milk or with water.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,491 Member
    Options
    I use either the Double rich chocolate or Vanilla Ice cream in my fruit/yogurt bowl. Plain yogurt, the protein powder is the flavor/sweet along with the fruit.

If you don't want chocolate in the morning, the Vanilla ice cream is good.
  • May_Rose
    May_Rose Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I always get chocolate because I know it's good. Add a scoop to your morning coffee...I swear it tastes just like choclate milk!!!
  • ecarpenter15
    Options
    The double chocolate is by far the best, followed closing by the chocolate coconut. Extreme chocolate milk is very chalky tasting, in my opinion. I know the idea of chocolate first thing in the morning may seem odd, but I've made it a habit to make a "fancy" coffee shake, just like Starbucks! 1 cup of coffee(french vanilla or hazelnut tastes great!), 1/2 cup of skim milk, 1 scoop of whey, & as many ice cubes that will fit in my shaker cup. It tastes amazing!
  • kender54
    kender54 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I love mocha cappuccino and sometimes will make iced coffee with it too. Its one of the best flavors of any brand I've found. (I'm very picky with the flavors and have hated every vanilla I've tried with a passion) I've also replaced half of the flour in chocolate chip cookies with this flavor and then baked. SUPER yummy!
  • Staniel_2013
    Staniel_2013 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Honestly so far all of the ON flavors I've tried are awesome, even their casein protein for night too.

My recommendation is to use unsweetened vanilla almost milk and ice. They taste great if you just have them with plain water but I've noticed two things:

1. the colder you can make them, they will taste that much better.

2. For an additional 30 calories, the almost milk is very worth the extra boost in flavor and consistancy.
  • pinkshiningstar
    pinkshiningstar Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Currently I have:

Banana Cream
    Cake Batter
    Extreme Milk Chocolate

All are fantastic, I especially like the Banana Cream for something different.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    ON tastes like ****.

Go with Dymatize, Cellucor, or Myofusion. Cellucor has absolutely amazing flavors.