How to increase my calories to maintenance?

Options
OK so I've decided that I don't eat enough. I've been maintaining on 1400 calories a day for a few months and I exercise at least 6 days a week alternating between sprints/long distance running and heavy lifting/strength training. I've just calculated my BMR and it was 1320 a day and then that x 1.7 (for exercising 6-7 days a week) I should be eating 2200 calories a day. My diet is usually pretty clean, I avoid refined sugar and wheat as much as possible, limit my fruit and natural sweeteners like honey etc and I try to follow paleo as much as possible but I eat oats and whey protein most days and I also sometimes have rice, beans and cheese when I fancy it. I do like to drink about once a week and normally stick to bourbon and diet coke (sugar makes me feel pretty rubbish, I break out quite badly and as much as I love it it just makes me feel off and kind of inflamed if that makes sense). I drink at least 3 litres of water a day and also green tea and the occasional coffee. If I must drink anything else it's usually a smoothie or diet drink but I rarely do.

I've been scared to increase my calories because my social life often leads me to overeat at the weekend and drink with friends and when I do count those occasions it usually ends up being about 3000 once a week, maybe twice if I'm super sociable. I tend to binge a bit, this is getting better though. I do have a history of ED (heavily restrict to under 800 calories, crazy amounts of running and then binging once or twice a week - but I eat a lot more these days, less running and less binging) I tend to suffer really badly with bloating and water retention after eating lots and especially too much sugar and salt. I look pretty tired all the time, my skin is terrible for 23 and I've developed pretty low self esteem and I think it's because I'm not feeding my body with what it needs. I also haven't had a cycle since my ED but the doctor says it can take up to a year to come back and that I'm a healthy weight with enough fat.

I'm 5'3 and currently weigh 8 stone, I'm quite happy with my weight and size, my friends agree I've gained enough and am back to my normal healthy weight. I just want to get stronger and more toned which is why I'm lifting heavy things. I know I'm not eating enough, 1400 is not enough even if I wasn't doing this much exercise. Do I cut down on the exercise or up the calories? I think doing both might scare the living daylights out of me.

Replies

• projhex
    projhex Posts: 23
    Options
    > 3000 once a week, maybe twice if I'm super sociable.

So You eat at 1400, but 3000 twice a week. You're actually eating at 1850 over the week.

If you want to eat 2200, eat at 2000 for a week then jump up to 2200 and see how you feel. You aren't that far off with the binging (which I would try and cut out). You're height and weight are normal. Your TDEE sounds right. Make sure you're tracking your macronutrients and not spending all of your calories on alcohol and you should be fine.

You're probably tired because you're not getting enough food. If you're actually exercising every day, you need food to make energy. If you want to get stronger and build some muscle, you're going to have to eat at a surplus and keep lifting heavy.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    If you are lifting heavy 1400 calories is not enough you know that.

I wouldn't just BAM raise calories...do it by 50-100 a day for a week and see how that goes...be prepared you may gain a bit of water weight...but not likely.

Then the next week do the same and continue until you get to about 1800.

I say 1800 because the 2200 is just an esitmate.

As well that leaves a little room for your weekend fun.

If you look at my diary I have my goal at 2k....maitenance is 2100...and through the week I very rarely go over 2k..sometimes I do...but usually a hundred or so under...then on Thursday I look at my weekly totals (esp since I have prelogged the weekend anyway) and see how much play room I have...then I go by that.

I am maintaining (actually losing a very small amount each week) because I really never hit maitenance and I lift heavy as well.
  • micfit9
    micfit9 Posts: 18
    Options
    http://www.youreatopia.com/blog/2014/7/29/whether-you-ever-want-kids-or-not-or-already-have-them-repro.html

read on hypothalamic ammenorhea

Its dangerous to exercise without a normal menstral cycle because your at very high risk of bone fractures from decreasing your bone density as a result of insufficient production of estrogen. ... this can give you osteoporosis. I'm 19 and I have osteoporosis from working out like this, and I only did it for 6 months. and I was eating 2000 a day.

Also it sounds as though you are not "recovered" but are very much involved with an ED.
    By exercising,you haven't allowed your body to rest and recover from the effects of starvation you have induced and therefore your metabolism is suppressed. HERES WHAT TO DO: To unsuppress it, you need to start eating 3000 calories a day + and stop exercising.

It took me 3 weeks of dong this before my body started healing ... i'm 6 weeks in and I have significantly improved self esteem, hair, skill, nails, energy, sleep etc. !!

Ps. I know it sounds weird but drink water, its washing out the vital minerals and vitamins you are barely obtaining significant amounts through a 1400 calorie diet.

http://180degreehealth.com/how-much-water-should-you-drink/

Common Symptoms of an Ed (which im sure you know)

The regular menstrual cycle has stopped and/or,
    symptoms of starvation: feeling the cold, fatigued, foggy headed, hair loss, brittle nails, dull skin and/or,

http://www.youreatopia.com/blog/2011/9/14/i-need-how-many-calories.html
    http://www.youreatopia.com/blog/2013/3/31/minniemaud-guidelines-for-recovery-from-a-restrictive-eating.html

http://www.youreatopia.com/blog/2012/11/23/phases-of-recovery-from-a-restrictive-eating-disorder.html

PS. if you go into government documents for activity levels.
    the average "moderately active women" which means 3-4 times a week, 30 mins of exercise. her pall would be roughly 1.55
    at 6-7 tims per week with spinting and heavy lifitng your more likely around 1.9 or higher

Take care and feel better
    Remember your body needs rest and adequate calories everyday... not just on weekends.
  • bangles501
    bangles501 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice :)

I'll begin slowly increasing my calories starting with a 1500 goal next week. I do take care of my macros, I always aim for 100g protein and have really been trying to up my carbs but I get so full on them. You make a good point that my weekly average may be made up of booze calories which isn't good. I don't know how anyone stays slim with a social life without starving themselves the rest of the week!
  • bangles501
    Options
    http://www.youreatopia.com/blog/2014/7/29/whether-you-ever-want-kids-or-not-or-already-have-them-repro.html

read on hypothalamic ammenorhea

Its dangerous to exercise without a normal menstral cycle because your at very high risk of bone fractures from decreasing your bone density as a result of insufficient production of estrogen. ... this can give you osteoporosis. I'm 19 and I have osteoporosis from working out like this, and I only did it for 6 months. and I was eating 2000 a day.

Also it sounds as though you are not "recovered" but are very much involved with an ED.
    By exercising,you haven't allowed your body to rest and recover from the effects of starvation you have induced and therefore your metabolism is suppressed. HERES WHAT TO DO: To unsuppress it, you need to start eating 3000 calories a day + and stop exercising.

It took me 3 weeks of dong this before my body started healing ... i'm 6 weeks in and I have significantly improved self esteem, hair, skill, nails, energy, sleep etc. !!

Ps. I know it sounds weird but drink water, its washing out the vital minerals and vitamins you are barely obtaining significant amounts through a 1400 calorie diet.

http://180degreehealth.com/how-much-water-should-you-drink/

Common Symptoms of an Ed (which im sure you know)

The regular menstrual cycle has stopped and/or,
    symptoms of starvation: feeling the cold, fatigued, foggy headed, hair loss, brittle nails, dull skin and/or,

http://www.youreatopia.com/blog/2011/9/14/i-need-how-many-calories.html
    http://www.youreatopia.com/blog/2013/3/31/minniemaud-guidelines-for-recovery-from-a-restrictive-eating.html

http://www.youreatopia.com/blog/2012/11/23/phases-of-recovery-from-a-restrictive-eating-disorder.html

PS. if you go into government documents for activity levels.
    the average "moderately active women" which means 3-4 times a week, 30 mins of exercise. her pall would be roughly 1.55
    at 6-7 tims per week with spinting and heavy lifitng your more likely around 1.9 or higher

Take care and feel better
    Remember your body needs rest and adequate calories everyday... not just on weekends.

Wow thanks for all the information, I'll have a good read. Won't I just gain silly amounts of weight on 3000 calories a day and no exercise? I'm at a healthy weight and really don't want to put on very much although would be comfortable with a few pounds maybe. Did you just jump to 3000 or did you slowly increase?
  • TheFrugalFatass
    TheFrugalFatass Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I hear so much fear in your post. I'm also in recovery for an ED (it ping-ponged between anorexia and compulsive overeating) and it sounds like you might need some more therapy to overcome your fears over food and maintenance weight.

Also, as much as I love MFP, I can sometimes find these boards to be triggering. I wonder if that's what's going on with you?
  • micfit9
    micfit9 Posts: 18
    Options
    I increased to 2200-2500 for a couple days, then made the jump. I figured if I'm going to "unsuppress" my metabolism, I should give my body all I can and go all out

I gained like 8 pounds in a day or two and I was TERRIFIED.
    But its all water weight. (happens to everyone) and you don't gain after that for a long time. Like over 2 weeks.
    then youre weight gain slows right down because your metabolism has sped up.
    Its been 6 weeks and I've gained 11 lbs. ...
    if my maitence was 1700 (according to mfp) i'd have gained 15.5 lbs by now.

so recap.
    I gained 8 pounds in 2 days.
    In 5 weeks and 5 days following that .. i have put on an additional 3 lbs.
    and I eat 3000 calories a day, sometimes as much as 5000 depending on how hungry I am. (not kidding)

I'm also naturally picking up a lot of lean mass from doing nothing, and I'm warm and healthy and happy.
    Its honestly beyond all my wildest expectations but its awesome.
  • dazedandconfused87
    Options
    I was in the same boat as you -- I started dieting really naively -- I didn't count calories or anything because I was on a plan that encouraged not counting calories bc it was obsessive, but it also encouraged exercising 7 days a week (even if having an "active" rest day), no dairy after 10:00am, no starch after 3:00pm... a lot of rules that I just blindly followed without thinking.

I did lose weight but never stepped on the scale and I never even THOUGHT I needed to think about maintenance calories because I didn't count them in the first place and this was a "healthy lifestyle", not a diet.

I realized I was exhausted all the time, my period was MIA, and all I was thinking about was food. So I logged my calories and guess what -- I was eating between 1400 - 1600 per day, not eating anything extra for all my exercise (which was VERY cardio focused). I did the same as you though with some binges and drinking on the weekend... but still.

It really scared me silly when I realized the harm I had been unintentionally been doing to my body. So I jumped up my cals right away. For about a week I ate whatever the hell I wanted and had cut out of my life before -- sweets like donuts, thai food, burritos, etc. At first it was so hard to eat more and my stomach filled up fast, I felt so gassy and bloated all the time. It sucked but I knew I needed to keep eating. So I kept eating! I also stopped exercise entirely for that week to just rest and I couldn't believe how hard my body crashed. I had been running myself into the ground and I had no idea.

I now am netting somewhere between 2.1K - 2.4K calories per day and I've stopped any intentional cardio (I live in a city and take transit so I do have to walk places). I am still doing light weights but 4x per week with 3 rest days instead of 5-6x per week.

And honestly? My skin is no longer dry, I am breaking out like crazy but I am taking that to be a good sign -- that my hormones are getting back to speed and I wouldn't be surprised to get my period soon. And honestly at first I was never hungry and now I am hungry ALL the time. You need to remember that food is energy that is required to KEEP YOU ALIVE. To keep your heart beating, your organs functioning, to keep you healthy and alive. What's more important to you? Being healthy and living a long full life, or chasing some number on the scale that doesn't mean anything at the end of the day? Health and fitness are wonderful things to aspire for, but there are extremes to this. I was chasing an ideal figure that doesn't even exist for my body type and I wasn't taking care of myself properly. My clothes all still fit although they are a bit snugger in certain areas. I'm not sure if I am actually bigger or not and I haven't stepped on the scale because I don't care to find out.

Bottom line -- you can't exist on 1400 calories forever so EAT MORE. Your body will thank you.
  • bangles501
    Options
    I think the problem is I just don't want to gain ANY weight at all. Not even 8 pounds. I was 8 stone 10 last year and felt so uncomfortable at that weight, I have a small frame so that extra 8 pounds made so much difference and all my clothes were tight. I am a healthy weight right now, I don't look underweight, I look the right size for me.

I'm not sure how I'm going to go about this yet but cutting out exercise altogether will destroy me right now, I love starting my day with a good workout, I love how awesome I feel after I've lifted some heavy weights or run 5 miles. I do appreciate a rest day every so often and know I need it but I feel better all day if I've broken a sweat. Maybe I'll try something low impact like yoga some days? I'm about to go to university and will be giving up my car and walking everywhere as well so I might feel like I can cut down on the exercise then.

I decided to eat more today. I made it to 1900 calories with mostly good, healthy whole foods plus a little cheese and whiskey. I feel much more awake and stronger just after today but am super full. Not sure I'll feel like eating as much tomorrow as well but it's a start.

Thank you all for the advice, I really appreciate it. I'm scared to take the leap into eating more but at least I know it's a step I need to take soon, whether I do it gradually or just take the leap. It's nice to hear from people who have experienced my situation and by the way I am seeing a therapist for my ED and self esteem, it's just taking a long time to deal with.
  • dazedandconfused87
    Options
    I understand that, low self esteem and EDs often go hand in hand. What you need to realize is that no number on a scale will ever make you love yourself. You need to accept yourself and love yourself always - whether you're at one weight or another. Undernourishing your body and running it into the ground to be a certain number will only get you sicker and sicker. Just because you're in a healthy weight range for your height doesn't mean you're a healthy weight for your specific body. You should really talk to your therapist about all of this. I wish you best of luck.
  • ladiablo
    ladiablo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Sweetie, you don't sound like you're ready to recover from your ED. Please, please discuss these thoughts with your therapist before you cause yourself some permanent damage!
    I have a small frame so that extra 8 pounds made so much difference and all my clothes were tight.

5'3" and 120 pounds is a perfectly healthy weight no matter your frame. Your clothing may be too small instead of you being too heavy - try reframing that. What makes your current clothing the "right" size?
    I don't look underweight

No one with an ED thinks they look underweight. Are you the best judge for that right now?
    cutting out exercise altogether will destroy me right now

That is a very alarming statement.

Fixing your relationship with food is going to be difficult. Obsessing over tracking calories and maintenance weight is not going to help you fix that relationship. Does your therapist know that you are still working out so much? That you are still restricting your calories to a level that would be "weight loss without exercise" for most people? Does your family know? What do these people, the people who are close to you and love you and want you to be healthy, what do/would they think about how you are taking care of yourself?

Social support is important. But taking your friends to heart when they say you've reached a healthy weight - that does not substitute a medical opinion. Please take care of yourself!!
  • bangles501
    Options
    My current size feels right for me because it's the same as I was for years before I gained half a stone last year and the clothes that fit me are the same ones I've had for years. Last year my weight suddenly jumped up after I had a phase of comfort eating and I hated how my favourite clothes didn't fit me any more and I looked really chubby.

My ED began when I was trying to lose the weight I'd put on, I started thinking about food all the time when on a diet, then I lost the weight and was scared of putting it back on so carried on dieting and it just became more and more restrictive and I began binging and ever since my mind has never been the same about food.

I'm actually not obsessed with the number on the scale, more with my size. If I was a stone heavier but still fitted into all my clothes I wouldn't care.