New Show "heavy"

Wow. I watched it last night. I was impressed. I wish the show would focus more on what they eat . Ive got the workout down. My body absolutely refuses to loose weight. Infact I gained 8 lbs during the holidays. :( but have worked out the past 2 weeks every day but 2 and the scale says I gained 2! What the heck is going on?

I workout --- check (cardio, weights and squats)
I eat right -- check
Support System -- ummmm.. I think they abandoned me as I have been doing this 2 yrs now. Hubby even hates hearing about it.

She lost 77 lbs in 6 mo. Why cant I loose 2 lbs a week?

Okay, done venting but love the show. Very inspriational.

Replies

• MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    How many calories are you eating a day?
  • JSprad
    JSprad Posts: 31
    I watched that show too! It was very motivating!
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    How many calories are you eating a day?
  • lindseyelyzabeth
    lindseyelyzabeth Posts: 33 Member
    you should take a day to rest from your workout. your muscles are probably retaining lots of repair fluid from all of your hard work. so, don't be afraid to rest. also, make sure you are watching your sodium intake and drinking lots of water. hope that helps! :)
  • angievaughn
    angievaughn Posts: 655 Member
    I got my husband to watch the show with me last night. I really helped me talk to him about my fears and my goals. The show has pretty extreme cases and I am no where close to where they were at........I still felt for them...and when they were struggling...I knew what they felt like. I was blown away by how much they lost and how the show has helped them. The only piece missing was what they were allowed to eat!!! I wish they would at least touch on it!!

HEAVY will be my new Monday night show....I hope my husband will keep watching it with me.....so it will open up more talks about my weight loss........
  • Bigpelly8
    Bigpelly8 Posts: 504 Member
    I watched it. I liked it, but didn't find it as inspiring as biggest loser. The girl on last nights show, my god she was whiny!!! :-)

Great they made those changes, and it looked like the guy bought into it a lheck of a lot more than she did. Will def. give it a second watch though!
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    you should take a day to rest from your workout. your muscles are probably retaining lots of repair fluid from all of your hard work. so, don't be afraid to rest. also, make sure you are watching your sodium intake and drinking lots of water. hope that helps! :)

I agree. Let your body relax a day before you weigh in.

I enjoyed the show last night. Looking forward to the next. Biggest Loser is on tonight too :d
  • JSprad
    JSprad Posts: 31
    I agree...she was whiney!!
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    I tried to watch it but never could find the right time and channel.

About your weight changes, I wonder if your body is just used to what you have been doing. Do you normally do the same activities and eat the same foods and number of calories? It might be time to mix it up. Try some new workouts that your body isn't used to. You might also try to vary your calorie intake throughout the week so your body doesn't get used to having the same amount of calories every day. If your daily goal is 1750, vary that each day to balance out.

Monday - 1750
    Tuesday - 1500
    Wednesday - 1900
    Etc

These aren't exacts and you also have to take into consideration how much you are burning with activity. Maybe you are just burning too much and your body is in starvation mode. Your net calories shouldn't be less than around 1200 a day I believe

Good luck!
  • thefreemans28
    thefreemans28 Posts: 267 Member
    Not sure if this was already said, but muscle weighs more than fat, so when you work out you are building your muscles, which will in turn show on the scale as a weight increase. And if you already have trouble loosing, it may be incredibly discouraging! I have found that the number on the scale matters, but what matters even more is inches! So get one of those flexible rulers like seamstresses use and measure your arms, thighs, waist, and hips each week. I bet you'll see a bigger difference in those numbers than you will on the scale.
  • Jacquelyn913
    Jacquelyn913 Posts: 300 Member
    What channel is the show on, I would really like to check it out. MTV is also airing a new show called I Used To Be Fat. So far it has been very motivating. I cant wait to keep watching. Good luck to you all =)
  • princessmikayla5
    princessmikayla5 Posts: 140 Member
    I also found the show very motivating. I'm emotional so I was crying at the end :tongue: I found Tom very motivational. He did fantastic! The girl got on my nerves with the excuses, but I kept trying to remind myself that I have used excuses myself.
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    I agree with Linsey... check your sodium intake... RDA is 2,500 mg right now but the government is trying to change it to 1,500 mg. It really makes a difference with me. On those days you are higher... make sure you have extra water.
  • autumntia
    autumntia Posts: 72 Member
    Have you tried the Yerba Mate' tea in between meals? That is working wonders for me, it really helps to curb your appetite and it rids your body of harmful toxins that can sometimes cause your body to hold on to fat cells.
    I use the Eco Teas brand of Yerba Mate' but there are plenty of others you can use. Also I know people will frown on this but I have been eating 1100 calories or less per day and working out every other day, I lose on avg. about a half a pound per day.
    Be sure to eat mostly veggies and fruits for at least one meal a day (like breakfast) .

I am not sure if you really wanted all that advice, but I hope it helps a little :-) Good luck!
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    If you choose to make your food log public, we might be able to help. Without seeing what you are eating, its tough to say ,..
  • fitoverfifty
    fitoverfifty Posts: 192 Member
    If you are eating calories to maintain or lose, and you are exercising....you should start to lose weight.
    If not, you need to see a doctor and show him what you've been eating. Sometimes, even if it is rare, it is a medical problem causing the weight gain.

I've also heard it explained over and over again that when you start to work out you tend to gain a little , not only does muscle have weight to it....but before you get muscles, they tear and repair...which causes your body to hold onto some water to repair the damage ( that's how the muscle grows)

Anyway.....that's how it was explained to me.....it may be wrong, but it makes sense.
  • becky444
    becky444 Posts: 145 Member
    If you are eating calories to maintain or lose, and you are exercising....you should start to lose weight.
    If not, you need to see a doctor and show him what you've been eating. Sometimes, even if it is rare, it is a medical problem causing the weight gain.

I've also heard it explained over and over again that when you start to work out you tend to gain a little , not only does muscle have weight to it....but before you get muscles, they tear and repair...which causes your body to hold onto some water to repair the damage ( that's how the muscle grows)

Anyway.....that's how it was explained to me.....it may be wrong, but it makes sense.

Thanks for all of the info. Had another bad weigh in today. Up 3.5 lbs today. I am working out and gaining. Crap. I am up 14.5 lbs in less than a month. So I am going to the dr in a few weeks. Something has to be up.
    Not giving in.
  • abrow7889
    abrow7889 Posts: 3 Member
    I liked the show, I hope they do some follow-up later on so we can see their continued progress.
  • becky444
    becky444 Posts: 145 Member
    What channel is the show on, I would really like to check it out. MTV is also airing a new show called I Used To Be Fat. So far it has been very motivating. I cant wait to keep watching. Good luck to you all =)

I forgot to mention it is on A&E.