Can anyone recommend a good scale?

Options
My digital scale is producing some pretty dubious results lately, displaying ever changing weights every time you step on the thing. I couldn't find any reset button, so I figure it was probably dropped in a semi-recent move. Can anyone recommend a good brand that is reliable and affordable? Is digital the best thing, or are the old reads more reliable?

Replies

• katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I bought my Taylor scale at Costco and I'm very happy with it. It's digital.
    ≪≪≪
  • Fgillies
    Fgillies Posts: 194
    Options
    A friend just bought a scale from target ( im sorry i dont remember the brand, quite possibly taylor) but it reads water weight, fat % etc she said. How awesome, i'm going to look for a new scale myself..it always starts out with 2-3 lbs on the screen, then blanks out!!
  • SoldierWife99
    Options
    My husband bought one at walmart that tells us our weight, body fat %, water %, bmi, and bone mass, not on one screen of course, it flashes through 2 screens... I think. Anyway, it saves data for up to 4 people, its really kinda cool. It's made by Health O Meter.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,191 Member
    Options
    No idea on names, but I would suggest getting one that measures body fat %.
  • Dreamingwillow
    Options
    I've had my Tanita scale for 10 years. Replaced the batteries 3 times. It's very accurate and measures body fat%. They are a little more expensive but, IMO, worth every penny.
  • Fgillies
    Options
    I've had my Tanita scale for 10 years. Replaced the batteries 3 times. It's very accurate and measures body fat%. They are a little more expensive but, IMO, worth every penny.

You can purchase TANITA scales? AHHH I didnt know this, My doctor uses this on me and i LOVE the info!! May i ask where you purchased, and possibly a ball park range price ( if you are comfortable with it)
  • TulsaTim
    Options

I bought a Tanita tonight and it is awesome. It check body fat% and water hydration. It is amazing.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    A good scale? None. They're all evil. haha

Seriously, though, I agree with getting ones that measure things other than simply weight. It's helpful for a couple reasons: 1. if you have a plateau in weight, you can continue to see fat loss by looking at the body %. 2. You can track body fat loss, since that's really what we're interested in (or gain for those who are using this site for gaining weight).

I've heard some good things about Tanita, but don't have any personal knowledge. So I'm a bit interested to see what brands people have good reviews of. (I, too, would like a fancier scale for the body fat % etc, not the weight)
  • BobbieJo_1977
    BobbieJo_1977 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have a weight watchers scale and it has been accurate. Replaced the batteries once in the last 5 years. I bought mine for $30 @ Bed Bath & Beyond. Hope this helps!
  • Dreamingwillow
    Options

You can purchase TANITA scales? AHHH I didnt know this, My doctor uses this on me and i LOVE the info!! May i ask where you purchased, and possibly a ball park range price ( if you are comfortable with it)

Wow, it was 10 years ago...but I remember distinctly purchasing it at a health food store/vitamin store. I think I paid $65-100 for it 10 years ago!
  • Fgillies
    Options
    I was so excited i just googled it, haha Target actually has a Tanita scale for 49.99 i think, and it does all of that stuff, i didnt realize just the normal stores carry scales with body % etc! I am def. making that purchase tomorrow!
  • Dreamingwillow
    Options

I bought a Tanita tonight and it is awesome. It check body fat% and water hydration. It is amazing.

That's awesome! Mine doesn't do water hydration, I'm sure that's the new technology. Maybe it's time for a new scale I can donate this one. Eh...nah....I've grown quite attached to this one.
  • spennato
    spennato Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I bought mine at CVS it is a digital scale only cost 25 dollars and is always spot on with my doctors scale.......
  • TulsaTim
    Options

That's awesome! Mine doesn't do water hydration, I'm sure that's the new technology. Maybe it's time for a new scale I can donate this one. Eh...nah....I've grown quite attached to this one.

Yes we got it at Target tonight for $50 dollars and the water hydration is more than I expected and was actually something I found very helpful. My wife and I have been working very hard over the past few weeks to pick up our water consumption and we actually saw the results tonight on the scale. We are both hydrated in healthy ranges.
  • Eilonwy74
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! Mine is a Taylor, I got it because it was reasonably priced. I'm going to look into the Tanita!
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Whatever you buy, consider one with the ability to measure your body fat (not BMI) percentage. And once you get it, read the manual's fine print to ensure you are weighing as directed so the body fat percentage will be more reliable.

I haven't seen one of these that is right on yet, but regardless of how accurate it is, it will at least consistently show you your ups or downs in BF% so you'll know what you're doing is (or isn't) paying off. Be sure you don't try to get a BF% reading within a couple hours of sweating/showering or that'll throw it off. There are a few other caveats as well, but you'll find your scale's particular 'rules' in the manual. Read that and use the BF% numbers as your guide and suddenly the scale won't be a foe, it'll be a partner toward better health and fitness.

:flowerforyou:
  • Eilonwy74
    Options
    So, if cost restrictions forced me to choose either between a Tanita that does not measure BF% and a Health O Meter one that does, which is the better pick? I'm reading on some consumer reports that the BF% isn't completely accurate, either.