Heart Rate Monitors

Options
Hey guys, I have a question! I am interested in purchasing a heart rate monitor because I really enjoy using workout videos during the cold winter months, but I have no idea how many calories I burn during these workouts! I really don't know how these monitors work and what all they can do.. I don't need anything fancy, just something I can use to track what exactly I am burning. I currently own a Garmin Forerunner 205, but all I have used this for is tracking my running distance and how many calories I burn from that. So if anyone has any info on heart rate monitors that would be awesome! Also, if you own a monitor yourself.. any info on reliable brands and styles would also be great! Thanks!! :happy:

Replies

• sdsmart
    sdsmart Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in this too! Great q!
  • Brady_
    Brady_ Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    bump :-) i want one too!
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Not to sound snarky, but the search function works wonders.
  • RippaRita54
    RippaRita54 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar F7, i love it! Was only $99 on sale at their online shop. It tracks the calories as i go which is what i wanted. Is a simple one to use. I really only wanted the calories burnt info but it does other cool stuff too!! It has the chest strap, i wouldnt bother with the ones that you have to stop and put your fingers in to measure..... Also beware of cheap ones with cheap chest straps as they are not very comfortable.... I have seen online the Polar sports bra with inbuild chest strap, reckon that would be great..
  • howardrw
    howardrw Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you want the HRM to do.
    Most people here at MFP likes the Polar models.
    I got my from Walmarts, I only was looking for something to check my calorie burn, nothing really fancy.
    The one I got from Walmart was about $40.00 and for me it does what I need it to do.
    The Polar models are more popular on this site and they cost from $59.00 to over $200.00 I believe.
    The Polar FT7 seem to be the more popular one on this site, and Sears have them for $109.00.
    Now th HRM will check your calorie burn, you heart rate upper and lower ( you will have to set those up, the HRM will have instruction to help you with that), it can be used as a stopwatch to check your time.
    When you get one make sure that you get one with a chest belt, this is what you will wear. This belt will monitor your heart rate and send the signal to the device that you will be wearing on your wrist ( this device will look like a wrist watch).
    So depend on what you want it to do, their are many brands, but once again the Polar model seem to be the more popular one.
    The one I got is an Oregon Scientific model.
    I hope this helps and good luck on what you decide to get.
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar F11 and F4 ones. The F4 may be discontinued now but I like the more basic aspects. As long as I know how long I've been in my target heart rate zone and calories burned, I'm fine with that. =) More advanced watches like the F11 allow you to program an exercise schedule for the week, etc. What used to be annoying with all Polar HRMs is that whenever the battery died, you would need to mail the HRM into the company. That applies to both my HRMs, and I considered switching to another brand because of the inconvenience. But now some of their models including the FT4 and FT7 allow you to change the battery yourself. So if you go with Polar, check the specs first.
  • MikeK51
    MikeK51 Posts: 317
    Options
    But now some of their models including the FT4 and FT7 allow you to change the battery yourself. So if you go with Polar, check the specs first.

Good to know. I was looking at the Polar FT7 last night at Sports Authority. They have a sale for $99 till 1/22. It didn't say whether you could change the battery yourself or not. Thanks.
  • adriayellow11
    Options
    I just got the Zephyr for Christmas and LOVE it. It also does the GPS tracking your route thing if you choose to use it outside. The strap is super comfortable (much more than my old Polar) and I never have a problem getting it to read. I especially find the heart rate chart helpful bc you can see how long you are keeping your heartrate in the target zone.
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    If you visit the Polar site, you can view the descriptions for each model. Click on Full Features to find out whether the battery is user-replaceable.

$99 is a great price for the FT7!
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I have a MIO brand HRM watch. I LOVE it!
  • navgal
    navgal Posts: 16
    Options
    I have a fondness for the Polar F6 it keps a daily log, weekly log, graphical logs and tells me calories burned, how much % was fat cal. burned my low and high heart rates, I find it very usful, simple to use and I really like it :)