Exercising twice a day? GOOD OR BAD?

Options
I'm a student and I've tried to lose weight in the past and it has been hard to carve out a significant amount of time to work out 5 days a week. As the school year is coming up, I want to start an exercise routine that will be more doable. Normally, if I exercise in the morning I would have to wake up around 5 to get a solid 45 minute work out before I have to get ready for school, eat breakfast, shower, and then my long commute. When I work out in the morning I don't feel energized or very motivated to get in a full burn. Exercising after school is a big struggle for me because I have to wait at least until after dinner and I don't like getting cramps, and I'm exhausted by the end of the day. These are are bunch of excuses, I'll admit but they have definitely hindered me from burning fat and gaining muscle in the past. I had an idea about doing a 20-30 minute cardio workout before I start my day, and possibly doing a strength workout for 20-30 minutes after school. Would I still receive the same health benefits from splitting up my workouts throughout the day? Also, some free workout video website suggestions would be great.
Thanks,
Tasha

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    20-30 mins in the a.m. and 20-30 mins in the p.m. is a good idea. Do what works to keep yourself on track.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    20-30 mins in the a.m. and 20-30 mins in the p.m. is a good idea. Do what works to keep yourself on track.

Seconded! If you just want to burn calories, it doesn't really matter if you do them all at once or in two reasonable chunks :)
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do two 60 min workouts. Getting to eat more food is always a good thing.
  • yummyboogereaterr
    yummyboogereaterr Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I do two a days now and I love it. It's all up to you, just make sure you're eating enough calories and if you're feeling worn out give yourself a couple days to reset before jumping back into it. Also for your owning cardio I suggest doing something where you can spike your heart rate then bring it back down, like sprints. You'll get more out of it that way.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Your body won't care either way, unless you're splitting something that would otherwise present special challenges in terms of fueling your body etc, and in that case the difference would be that you dodged having to address those special challenges. Burning calories is burning calories.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    If you're having a hard time fitting in 5 workouts a week, just keep in mind that it's not necessary to work out 5x a week to lose weight. Diet is the most important thing.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    The split you stated will be fine.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a plan. go for it!
  • benchsquad65
    benchsquad65 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    When my grandfather was bailing hay 12 hours a day and shoveling coal in mines, he didn't worry about "exercising too much." C'mon people, the human body is made to run 40 miles a day and hunt wooly mammoths. If you wanna do two a day's, go ahead. you wanna do threeadays, go ahead.
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with doing split sessions. If it works for you then do it :)
  • prettigirl01
    prettigirl01 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I say anything is better than nothing especially when just starting off
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I have a thing I call Hell Week that I do every couple of months and it is where I get in at least two mile runs in the morning AND evening each day for a week

That is pretty hard on the body.

However if you are asking about maybe running at one point, and doing something else another part of the day....I imagine if your body can handle it...go for it!