Off days

Options
I bought the shoes, I changed the form, I read a thousand pages of advise around the internet. Shins still hurt, but whatever. My question is now, since I have to take rest days off of my feet, What else can I do to stay active on these days? Is a slow walk okay? I don't have and can't yet afford a gym membership. I can't swim on my lunch break. I can't lift weights in the office. Any ideas?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    You don't have to stay off your feet, you just need to need avoid activities that cause pain. Walking could work. Or bike to work, or bike after work.

Does it hurt on the inner half of your shins or the outer half?
    Did it hurt after your runs, or just during?
  • perm_dogg
    perm_dogg Posts: 22
    Options
    Only on the inner part of both legs. I only get time to exercise during my half hour lunch break. I live an hour away so biking wouldn't work. (I'd be in great shape if I did that!! ha ha) I also don't yet own a bike. I have a desk job and try to walk about 500 steps every hour or so, but it's not enough. When I get home I usually swim laps for 5-10 minutes without stopping. I do what I can with the time I have. After I posted this topic, I walked real casually about a mile (changing terrain) and it didn't hurt. It's only when I run. And after a few months of doing this, I still cant go very far without being winded. I should be seeing change by now, I feel.
  • Stiang
    Stiang Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Can you do push-ups/planks at work? I work in a military office and we do that every hour (including me, in a skirt - but I do a modified version of push-up off the desk versus floor).
  • yummyboogereaterr
    yummyboogereaterr Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Do anything you can with bodyweight. Push-ups, crunches, leg lifts, jumping jacks, burpees, etc. Modify things if needed so that you don't put strain on anything that hurts so that you can recover faster.
  • perm_dogg
    Options
    Can you do push-ups/planks at work? I work in a military office and we do that every hour (including me, in a skirt - but I do a modified version of push-up off the desk versus floor).

Yes, I usually just stick to the basics, but I do sneak into the conference room and do push ups and crunches. I think planks and such would only benefit me with weights. Thanks guys. So. Stay active, just not on my legs. Got it:)
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Give yourself some physical therapy to recover from your injury (ice, massage, ibuprofen, stretching). At 29, you should recover quickly.
  • W31RD0
    W31RD0 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I bought the shoes, I changed the form, I read a thousand pages of advise around the internet. Shins still hurt, but whatever. My question is now, since I have to take rest days off of my feet, What else can I do to stay active on these days? Is a slow walk okay? I don't have and can't yet afford a gym membership. I can't swim on my lunch break. I can't lift weights in the office. Any ideas?

Stretch
    Foam Roll
    Work on muscles you may not be training all that much (anterior tibialis muscle often gets overlooked)
    Try other exercise variations at low weight.
  • ingasmile2
    ingasmile2 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Did you buy inserts for the shoes? I was having horrible shin pain from Jazzercise for months, with new shoes, so I changed the shoes and got inserts. It took about another 3 weeks for the pain to resolve but it finally did. Sometimes I just don't think the shoes are enough for the pounding we give our body when we run or dance or just jump around.

You do not need weights to do planks. They are great for strengthening your core! Love planks!

Inga
  • blondie3_04
    blondie3_04 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Do you tape your legs when you run? I first started running in January and at the beginning my shins hurt badly. I started taping my legs and got better shoes. After about 2 1/2 months, I could run without the tape and my shins no longer hurt.
  • LunaStar2008
    LunaStar2008 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I would have chin splints as well, if I wouldn't use my insoles. Even I technically don't have flat feet I use the arch support insoles. My feet can't support the impact while I am running, so I just support them with insoles and I am fine. Haven't have chin splints in years.

And everything else others recommended. Just don't quit.....:flowerforyou: :noway:
  • perm_dogg
    Options
    Do you tape your legs when you run? I first started running in January and at the beginning my shins hurt badly. I started taping my legs and got better shoes. After about 2 1/2 months, I could run without the tape and my shins no longer hurt.

Tape? Hmmm? Something I haven't tried yet. Thanks!