Started counting calories and now my running sucks

Options
2»

Replies

• bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I ran two half marathons this spring and lost 30 lbs while doing it. It only impacted my running positively. What i have found works for me is on days that I just run for an hour- i keep my calories that same that I would doing any other exercising (for me right now that is 1300). on days i run up to 16 miles, I increase those calories by 75 calories a mile. and I listen to my body on those long run days-- if I am hungry I eat-- just healthy options.

It may not have anything to do with your eating- it could be weather, you body, training etc.

Usually with training programs it should be a pyramid. For example- 20 miles, 22 miles, 25 miles, 20 miles. you body needs a down week every 2-3 weeks to repair

just my opinion from my experience, best of luck =)
  • alathIN
    alathIN Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    With all the things you have listed that are doing physically, it sounds to me like your are over training (over working). Cut back on something and concentrate on your running.

This was my first thought too.

Even when you are doing a run-focused training program, they are not constantly building longer and faster with every workout. Fitness is built with cycles of stress and recovery. If you just stress stress stress all the time, your body never has a chance to build fitness.
  • malenkilady
    malenkilady Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey I totally get what your going through. I'm working on losing weight for ROTC right now and I'm doing the Tahoe Tough Mudder race this Sunday. I'd say follow what your body tells you is right for it. I mainly use MFP to regulate my food intake rather than to just count calories. Just be safe and don't starve yourself, but two pounds as an initial weight loss is normal. Your body drops a lot of water weight first then it kicks into weight loss overdrive. I dropped 10 pounds my first month then slowed down exponentially. That's just how our body works :)
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Prioritize your goals.

You can't expect to perform optimally when you're eating in a calorie deficit.

If you want to do your best at the tough mudder then eat for it. Once you're done with it then you can start eating at a deficit to lose weight again.

Dirty Diana wrote...

THIS... is bologna. You can absolutely run on a small deficit and still perform well. People do it all the time. I've done it myself. Losing 2 pounds in a week and feeling like crap just means your deficit is too large at this point. I would suggest adding 500-750 calories a day and you should start to feel better and still see some movement on the scale. If you can, I'd also suggest getting some kind of fitness tracking device (I use a Fitbit) to help you see how many calories you're actually burning in a day. Most people tend to overestimate what they burn, but with all your activity, I'd guess you're underestimating.

Dirty D - you're almost right.

Howver....studies have shown that performance will suffer while losing weight (Lunn, Finn, and Axtell's work in 2009). The book referenced above in this thread by Matt Fitzgerald sites the studies of athletes where they took several groups and divided them up thusly for a 10 week training study...

Group 1 - added 2 x week sprint intervals to increase their power, but maintained their current weight
    Group 2 - maintained their regular training, and actively pursued weight loss through dieting
    Group 3 - added 2 x week sprint intervals to increase their power, and pursued weight loss through dieting
    Group 4 - control group that maintained their current training and their current body weight

The group that saw the most performance increase was group 1 (gained 10% in performance). Of the two groups that pursued weight loss - group 3 - saw no performance increase due to, what Lunn refers to, as "inadequate protein intake kept their muscles from adapting to the stress imposed by the sprints"... .

Howver, group 2 saw a performance increase simply due to the weight loss making them lighter so their power to weight ratio was better than it was at the heavier weight.

The ideal time to lose weight and gain peformance is not leading right up into an event (such as the OP). So the posts suggesting to the OP to hold off on the weight loss until after this weekend may have a point depending on the OP's diet, and final 2-3 weeks of taper training into the event. And you may be correct in that a fine balance of losing the weight, yet fueling with enough protein to avoid muscle power performance loss could still allow the OP to trim some of the fat without a degradation in peformance.

At this point, it is probably moot with an event only 4 days away. The OP should focus on nutrient loading and recovery leading into the event to peak as best as they can for the best performance. It's the recovery where the most gains are made - and all the stress that the OP loaded onto her body with the final training should now be left to recover and build for this weekend.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    So just going to throw this out here from personal experience. If you think your runs are suffering due to overall calorie deficit than why not pay closer attention to meal timing and macros? No reason to not have your cake and eat it too.