Ideas needed for a quick healthy lunch

Options
Lonnad1
Lonnad1 Posts: 47 Member
Help! I am a kindergarten teacher going to back to work next week. My lunch break is about 20 minutes. Over the years I have been eating those microwave lean meals that I know are not really that healthy. I need some ideas for lunches that are healthy, high in protein, and quick. Thanks in advanced for the ideas.

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Salads with chicken or canned salmon are good and quick to pack in the morning. I also like cottage cheese with tomato and green bell peppers. As the weather gets colder, I like making big batches of soup, stew or chili and packing it in individual microwaveable containers for your own personal "lean meal" without all the sodium and other stuff you don't want.
  • JoeCWV
    JoeCWV Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    PB&J is my lunch every day. It is the best lunch on the planet. I don't know why anyone would ever eat anything else. Yep PB&J.
  • nicailyzee
    nicailyzee Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I have lettuce wraps with Boston lettuce baked chicken breast cheese optional avocado and pepper if you like heat. Sandwiches are always good. I love to eat salads for lunch and you can pre pack them. Also as a teacher you can take some of the ideas from the food your students bring with them for lunch they may bring healthy stuff. Fruit cups, yogurt, nuts if you are allowed due to allergies. The healthiest options of the things you like. Left overs in a smaller amount are always good. So if you make a bigger dinner and eat the other half for lunch you kill two birds with one stone. GooD LUCK!
  • erinjruns
    erinjruns Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Make up a batch of soup over the weekend, take a bowl of soup that can be microwaved and make a wrap sandwich with a little bit of meat and lots of fresh veggies. Throw in some grapes or a yogurt and you have a whole meal that is fast and yummy!
  • hannhr
    hannhr Posts: 22
    Options
    - Salad. Pick your favorite base of leafy greens, add in whatever veggies appeal to you, fruit if you like, avocado, protein source (I like precooked chicken breast but you can also add salmon, beef jerky, bacon, eggs, etc), add-ins like flax/seeds/nuts, dressing and you're done.
    - Sandwiches
    - Wraps made with tortillas or flat breads. My favorite is with lox.
    - Bento box with smaller items: yogurt/cottage cheese for protein, raw fruit and veg, egg, maybe a protein bar, some nuts, etc...
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I don't mind eating cold leftovers for lunch. I like to make stuff in the crockpot or one pot meals and bring them for lunch. Sweet potato hash w/ 2 hardboiled eggs is one of my favorites. I make a chicken, sweet potato and brussel spout bake that is good, too. Crackers w/ cucumber and flaked tuna w/ a piece of fruit and maybe some homemade soup.
  • free1220
    free1220 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    20 mins isn't much time,leftover chicken w/veggies such as carrots,squash etc can be eaten cold and is delish!
  • dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Subway 6" ham sub (no cheese) with mustard and whatever veggies you like, 290 calories. I get this once or twice a week.
  • jeannelabanane
    jeannelabanane Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I typically eat wraps. My favourite is whole wheat tortilla, romaine lettuce and 60g of hummus (protein).

You can also do wraps with boiled eggs, chicken, cheese, etc. - but I find hummus quick, easy and tasty.

Edited to add: I used to put peanut butter/banana wraps in my daughters lunch when she was in school, she used to love those.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    PB&J, cheese stick, and an apple.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Microwave steamed veggies and a veggie burger is my go to. If I'm hungry after that, I have a fiber one bar and/or hand fruit.
  • shadesof66
    shadesof66 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Subway 6" ham sub (no cheese) with mustard and whatever veggies you like, 290 calories. I get this once or twice a week.

^^ this...or also a 6" turkey/ham with everything on it...on wheat bread with spicy mustard...290 calories..
  • Beckboo0912
    Beckboo0912 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I sometimes make chicken salad with diced apples and walnuts and put them in cucumbers or hollowed out tomatoes...they are pretty good, then I have some cheese and a fruit or veggie. Or I make buffalo chicken dip it's good warmed up or cold and celery and carrot sticks
  • Lonnad1
    Lonnad1 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Just go drink in the teachers lounge like everyone else.

Trying to stay out if the lounge this year. Lol! Too many temptations, treats, and sweets in there!
  • 17ChargerGirl17
    Options
    hmmm I like those Michelina Lean meals LOL
  • msf118
    msf118 Posts: 1
    Options
    Sometimes I mix together a can of (reduced sodium) tuna and half an avocado, and eat it in a whole wheat tortilla or with crackers.