Recovery Drinks, any advice?

Hi Folks, I haven't been here in a very long time but I am keen to start doing Insanity soon (who promote shakeology), but I'm looking for the ideal recovery drink in the UK.

The overwhelming recommendation is to get a drink that 4:1 carb to protein ratio and as it stands I can only find a product called high5 here.

I can see other products like Matrix anabolic but they look like they're more for muscle gain and I don't want that..I just need something to fuel the muscles after intense workout. I'm grateful for any advice and I apologise for duplicating this post in two threads..not sure where it best belongs!

Many thanks

John Paul

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    I have heard that 2:1 is more than fine for a recovery drink. Specifically chocolate milk is mentioned.
  • onionparsleysage
    onionparsleysage Posts: 103 Member
    Eat a healthy meal shortly after working out. Something like a veggie egg omelet will work well if you're at home.

I'm not a fan of the whole "recovery drink" phenomenon for short workouts like Insanity. The whole chocolate milk idea was spread by the dairy industry... just eat healthy & you'll see results.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Eat a healthy meal shortly after working out. Something like a veggie egg omelet will work well if you're at home.

I'm not a fan of the whole "recovery drink" phenomenon for short workouts like Insanity. The whole chocolate milk idea was spread by the dairy industry... just eat healthy & you'll see results.

The dairy industry? Lol.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    does it have to be a drink? you could have a piece of toast or some rice and some egg beaters or greek yogurt.
  • SharpieV
    SharpieV Posts: 26 Member
    I don't think the chocolate milk thing is being pushed by the dairy industry exclusively. It actually does have a nice mix of carbs, fats, and protein. I am sure they're keen to get behind the idea, certainly, but then again, so am I! Any excuse to drink more chocolate milk is a good one by me. I love the stuff.

I think any good small snack or drink will do well after a workout though. I have to drink things as I can't often stomach solid food after a workout, but so long as you're eating/drinking something, that's the main thing IMO.
  • jaypauluk
    jaypauluk Posts: 3
    I've heard of the Chocolate milk suggestion as well and it seems to work for some people to be fair. I've read up a bit on the concept of the 4:1 carb to protein ratio..and whilst that can be achieved with a diet and not supplements ..there is a practicality to the supplement.

I have plans to continue on after the standard 2 months for Insanity as it seems to be the most beneficial way forward compared to some exercises I have undertaken and my weight plateaus...I need something to hit it over but need that recovery.

Thanks for your comments!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member

The dairy industry? Lol.

I almost spit out the chocolate milk I'm drinking...
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    This shake is one of my favorites:
    1 serving.

Ingredients

2/3 cup coconut water (or water)
    2/3 cup tart cherry juice (from montmorency cherries – Eden makes a good one)
    1 ripe banana
    1 Tbsp hemp hearts
    ½ scoop of high quality plain or vanilla protein powder (such as Vega Sport Protein powder)
    1/3 cup frozen blueberries, preferably organic
    6-8 frozen strawberries, preferably organic
    1 tsp (5g) pure glutamine (optional)
    1 scoop greens powder or 1-2 kale leaves, washed and de-ribbed or handful of baby spinach (optional)
    Directions

Place all ingredients in a high powered blender, pulse and then mix on high until completely smooth.
    Enjoy immediately; or pour into a to-go container to bring with you in order to consume it as soon as you complete your workout.
    This shake contains carbs to protein in the ideal recovery ratio of ~ 4:1.

I also use Vega Recovery Accelerator.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Vodka?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Vodka?

I'm a runner, so lowfat chocolate milk is my go-to.

But there's something to be said for this suggestion...
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Water?

I've never seen a big difference re: eating/drinking after vs just drinking water.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member

The dairy industry? Lol.

The dairy council is everywhere and they have powerful ties.

death_to_all_juice.jpg
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    White Russian?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Hi Folks, I haven't been here in a very long time but I am keen to start doing Insanity soon (who promote shakeology), but I'm looking for the ideal recovery drink in the UK.

A pint of a nice bitter.
  • I used this kind and was very happy with it: Healthy 'N Fit 100% Whey Pro-Amino Vanilla Ice Cream, 2 Lbs., 45 Grams Of Protein! only 196 cals. per heaping scoop and 3 grams of carbs. The price is nearly half than many others, about $25 to $28 for 2 lbs.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/hfit/whey.htm
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member

The overwhelming recommendation is to get a drink that 4:1 carb to protein ratio and as it stands I can only find a product called high5 here.

I can see other products like Matrix anabolic but they look like they're more for muscle gain and I don't want that..I just need something to fuel the muscles after intense workout. I'm grateful for any advice and I apologise for duplicating this post in two threads..not sure where it best belongs!

Many thanks

John Paul
    What are your goals?
    If your goal is losing weight then I wouldnt necessarily subscribe to forcing calories after working out just for muscle recovery.
    If your goal is more shaping, and needing to get the most of each workout, things like that then I would look into the benefits of Chocolate milk. Cheaper and studies show it works.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    beer
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Bread, a bagel, or an English muffin with cheese or peanut butter
    Dried fruit and nuts
    Cottage cheese with fruit
    Yogurt with fruit
    Veggie omelet with toast
    Chocolate milk
    Eggs and toast
    Crackers with low fat cheese
    Rice or popcorn cakes with nut butter
    Smoothie with protein powder
    Protein bar
    Protein shake
  • Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

My goal is weight loss really, as when I don't exercise I plateu and can't get past it. The resounding advice for anything like HIIT is to help your muscles recover, especially with the likes of insanity. It may be that I try without and see what happens. I don't want to bulk muscle at all but being lean won't go amiss.

All that said..I'd love a beer after completing week 1!

Choc Milk I keep floating around my head... it's a tempting consideration but is not cheap. That and I don't do well with alot of Milk lol. Chronic Pain!
  • jasati
    jasati Posts: 18 Member
    Whey protein can aid muscle recovery after a workout and, if on a low carbohydrate lifestyle, chocolate milk within an hour of finishing is also acceptable to aid the replacement of the glycogen used. Hope this helps. Regards.