Fitbit flex

Options
I am thinking of getting a fitbit flex, I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the product. I have a bodymedia core and I like it but I am tired of people always asking me about it (I live in Hawaii)and I don't like having to pay the monthly fee.

Please share your thoughts and experiences with the fitbit or the fitbit flex. I am more interested in the fitbit flex.

Thank you

Replies

• kashaas
    kashaas Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit flex and I love it! It definitely gets me moving... I love that it lets me set goals and it vibrates when I reach the goal. I have mine set at 10,000 steps a day. It syncs directly to MFP so I don't have to do anything.. I would definitely recommend it.
  • seedhousel
    seedhousel Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would not recommend buying this product. Mine arrived and all seemed good, until 6 weeks when it broke. It stopped charging, wouldn't reset, totally useless. Having looked into this I have been able to see that this is in fact a regular occurance with most Fitbits breaking between 6-24 weeks. Gutted. The only positive is I have replaced it with a Polar Loop which is even better!
  • lmann72
    lmann72 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I've had mine since May and love it - I've also heard that if there is issues with it that you can call customer service and they will do replacements.

It really does remind me to keep moving!
  • tyoung75
    tyoung75 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I don't have the flex, I have the One but.... still love it. I've never heard of anyone having issues with any of their fitbits within my fitness circle.
  • MargoQuigley
    Options
    I've just had my 2nd Fitbit flex crap out on me after about 7 months. I have a msg into Fitbit now, but I'm not entirely sure what the longevity is supposed to be on these. Fitbit did replace my first one back in January, but still waiting to hear about the second. If no replacement, I'm also considering the Polar Loop.
  • Lelah77
    Lelah77 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I have mixed emotions about my Flex. I like the features already mentioned, like the progress dots & vibrating celebration of my walking goals, sleep tracking (my fave), etc. I also like that it can get wet - I like to swim sometimes to switch up my workouts.
    HOWEVER: I HATE the charging unit. It is unpredictable and unreliable. I called to complain when I got my FitBit last August and no real resolution was reached other than "return your FitBit and we'll replace it." which didn't help - it was an ongoing problem. I don't know if it was ever really resolved, either.
    Second, because it is a motion sensor worn on the wrist, it doesn't track my walking when I am pushing a stroller or carrying my children around, which is a good part of my day. I haven't figured out a resolution to this.
  • JenniferSpindel
    JenniferSpindel Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I started with an Ultra, then moved onto a Flex.

I had my first flex for well over a year when the charging dock stopped charging it. I called customer service, the recommended a cleaning (which unfortunately didn't work) and then immediately sent me a replacement which I wear everywhere but the shower (honestly, how many steps do you really take in a shower?!?!?)

I hate seeing naysayers on this message cause I LOVE my Fitbit, but to each his/her own. I love that it was inexpensive in comparison to other trackers, that there's no fee to use it, I can monitor my progress via my phone (and it syncs through Bluetooth), and just how simple it is.

Is it perfect? No. Should it be used as a tell-all for your exercise progress? Not a single tracker can. But, would I recommend it? Abso-frickin-lutely!

Now I'm just waiting for the new one to come out.... I really do miss my altimeter! I walk up several flights of stairs a day and the flex doesn't count floors like my ultra did. However, rumor is the new on is supposed to do that (the Force was their new one but it was recalled cause people were getting rashes from some sort of material).

Anyway, hope that helps!
  • JenniferSpindel
    JenniferSpindel Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have mixed emotions about my Flex. I like the features already mentioned, like the progress dots & vibrating celebration of my walking goals, sleep tracking (my fave), etc. I also like that it can get wet - I like to swim sometimes to switch up my workouts.
    HOWEVER: I HATE the charging unit. It is unpredictable and unreliable. I called to complain when I got my FitBit last August and no real resolution was reached other than "return your FitBit and we'll replace it." which didn't help - it was an ongoing problem. I don't know if it was ever really resolved, either.
    Second, because it is a motion sensor worn on the wrist, it doesn't track my walking when I am pushing a stroller or carrying my children around, which is a good part of my day. I haven't figured out a resolution to this.

There are some additional products through external sites that have various Fitbit holders... I think one was even a pocket for the shoes! Try Etsy... they might have something for that cause you're not the first to have the "I'm carrying a child" issue with tracking.
  • kendrak06
    kendrak06 Posts: 14 Member
    Options

I'd try wearing it on your ankle then.. I don't know if it'll work, but it's worth a shot! I've seen other people suggest that too.
  • kendrak06
    kendrak06 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Flex! I absolutely love it! It's gotten me on track with my exercising. I've had mine since May. So far, the only issue I've had with it, is the charging dock.. the tracker doesn't seem to want to "click" into place.. so I have to put it in there, and then slowly release it.. it usually stays in place and it doesn't take long to charge. I only have to charge it once a week. And yes, it's neat that you can wear it in the water. However, I don't.. I've seen people mention that theirs crap out on them and I wonder if maybe that has something to do with it? And like someone else said.. how many steps are you really taking in the shower anyway? Anyway - I know two other people personally with one and they love it. My daily goal on there is 10k steps and I'd say 6 days out of the week I reach that! I love that it syncs up to MFP. I just plug in my food on MFP, and Fitbit tells MFP how many calories I've burned that I can eat back. I don't even enter my exercise on MFP because I think that might be double-booking it. Anyway - I definitely recommend it! It's changed my life :)
  • MargoQuigley
    Options
    "I hate seeing naysayers on this message cause I LOVE my Fitbit, but to each his/her own. I love that it was inexpensive in comparison to other trackers, that there's no fee to use it, I can monitor my progress via my phone (and it syncs through Bluetooth), and just how simple it is."

Don't get me wrong - I've been using the Fitbit since the Ultra came out, then had a One, then got a Flex. I like the products and usually the customer service is very good, but the reliability of the Flex leaves something to be desired. I have talked many of my friends intros getting Fitbit products, but unfortunately, a lot of them had similar problems with the Flex, even including skin rashes similar to the issue with the Force.

I've just ordered the Polar Loop, partly because I already have the H7 HRM and I now live someplace with a pool and have been trying to go swimming more often. It's really a matter of preference.
  • housemamma
    housemamma Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit but it doesn't accurately measure my steps. I've walked the same as my husband and he ends up with twice as many steps. My husband and I have decided that since I'm recovering from frozen shoulder (both shoulders) I don't move my arms as much or I have a light step. I've tried resetting my step stride and the fitbit itself with little success. I even wore my husbands around my ankle and mine on my arm the same day and got more with my husbands. I'd switch it to my ankle, but the "larger" size band has disappeared somewhere in my home and my search efforts have gotten me nowhere. However, I still wear it because it is better than nothing and keeps me moving. I don't know if this is helpful, but its my "two cents".
  • Censor76
    Censor76 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I just got mine last week and I love it. I've been playing around with the settings and no complaints.

I bought mine because I don't seem to realize I'm more active than I think...I should have easily lost 5-10 lbs by this point. I think I'm not eating enough so I wanted to see what I'm actually burning instead of my guessing...since my guessing isn't working.

I bought the flex because I knew people who had it and were happy.

Good luck!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I have had mine since March and have had no issues whatsoever. I wear it 24/7 unless charging, including the shower and the pool during water aerobics. It gives me the info I need and the motivation I want and I am thrilled to pieces with it.
  • inneedofanap
    inneedofanap Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I've had my Fitbit One since April. No problems at all. I totally love my Fitbit. I never realized how sedentary I was before I started tracking my steps. In the past few months I've tripled my daily steps and lost 2 pant sizes. ;)
  • x311Tifa
    x311Tifa Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I've had my flex since Christmas/January. Only once did I have to deal with resetting it and troubleshooting. Other than that, it's been fine.

I use it purely as motivation. I'm not sure how accurate it really is, but I get that "yay!" feeling when I hit my 10,000 steps for the day. I also love that it syncs automatically with MFP.
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping for a flex or loop from Santa this year, still debating which! Taken me a while to narrow it down to these two! LOL
  • shawndaleigh7
    shawndaleigh7 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the flex and I love it as well. I had the Jawbone UP originally, but I went through three of those and got tired of having them replaced. My husband got me the flex and I did have to replace it once, because it just completely stopped working, but the customer service was great and I haven't had any issues since. It helps get me moving because I can actually see the number of steps I'm taking throughout the day and I also compete with my husband and my friends to get the most steps. I love that it syncs with MFP, because I did have some issues with my UP doing that correctly. I also like that it uses bluetooth to sync with your phone, as the UP that I had required you to take the bracelet off and plug it into your phone.
    Of course, there are a couple of things I don't like. The battery life seems short compared to the Force (the one that was recalled) and the UP. Also, I wish it had a display on the bracelet to tell you how many steps you have taken. It has 5 little lights that help to show your progress, but I would like to know the exact number of steps I have taken without syncing with my phone.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    The One and Zip are more accurate than the Flex. Buy from an authorized retailer and you get a one year warranty and they DO break frequently or do not work out of the box, so forget ebay. Their site and support are pretty mediocre at times. I've been a Fitbit user since day 1 and have been a fan but am going to move on the next time I need a new one.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options

Put it in your pants/shorts pocket when you aren't swinging your arms. The motion will then credit you for steps taken.

That being said, I got my Fitbit Flex for free through work. I don't know if I would have paid for one on my own, but I do really like it. I have had it since March and am on my third one. Fitbit was good about sending replacements for the first two. For the third one, I decided not to wear it in the shower like I did the first two and no problems so far. I am highly competitive so this is great for me so I keep trying to make sure I have more steps than those on my friends list. I love the buzz when I hit my 10,000 steps and I also use this as an alarm to get up in the morning.