Everyday Runners???

Options
I just started C25K and I know you must rest in between days but AFTER I complete the program I would like to become a daily runner with Sundays off. How many of you run every day? How long did it take you before you were able to accomplish this? How far do you run each day? Any tips for a newbie who has been bitten by the Run Bug?

Inquiring minds and all that...

Replies

• gitnfit2
    gitnfit2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I started running every other day, 1/2 mile was my first distance and thought I was going to fall out. 2 years later I am running 4 days a week training for my marathon. It took time and good friends. I don't know that I would recommend running everyday as I like to give my legs a rest and do some cross training, but my best recommendation would be find a local run group. Running with people helped me more than anything.
  • Stanlee202
    Stanlee202 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I am not an every day runner, and I don't plan to be, but I was bitten by the "run bug" a couple months ago and am almost done with the c25k program. I will run 2 days in a row, but I have an active job, so my body needs the rest days. I'm hoping to fit it in and go every other day (because of my schedule I sometimes take 3 days off in a row...gotta change that!). Anyway, check out the c25k forum on here-there is a lot of great information for those of us who are just starting out :) Have fun running!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I just started C25K and I know you must rest in between days but AFTER I complete the program I would like to become a daily runner with Sundays off. How many of you run every day? How long did it take you before you were able to accomplish this? How far do you run each day? Any tips for a newbie who has been bitten by the Run Bug?

About 1.5 years. I just ended a 30 day/209mi run streak.

Advice? Calm down, go slow, and don't overdo it.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

After you complete the program I would suggest testing to see how it goes. Run back to back days with a rest. Repeat. Then run 3 days, off 1. Then if you want...run 4 and one off and keep testing.

I prefer to run 5 days a week. I usually take of Tues/Friday off so I bascially run 3, 1 off, run 2, 1 off.
    Being a new runner it may take time before you can run 6-7 days a week.
  • Muzica1959
    Muzica1959 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I do plan to take it slow and easy. I aim to run my first 5K in October as I will be turning 55 on Halloween and that will be a very special birthday present to myself. After that I want to run several more 5ks then move up to a 10K. It will probably be after that if I do become a daily runner. I like the idea of running for 3 days, taking 1 off and running 2 more. When I do "get there" I may run Mon and Tues., take Wednesday off, run Thurs, Fri, and Sat., then take Sunday off.

One more question. Do any of you do any other type of workout besides running such as aerobics, cycling? If so, do you do this on the same day as running?
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I do plan to take it slow and easy. I aim to run my first 5K in October as I will be turning 55 on Halloween and that will be a very special birthday present to myself. After that I want to run several more 5ks then move up to a 10K. It will probably be after that if I do become a daily runner. I like the idea of running for 3 days, taking 1 off and running 2 more. When I do "get there" I may run Mon and Tues., take Wednesday off, run Thurs, Fri, and Sat., then take Sunday off.

One more question. Do any of you do any other type of workout besides running such as aerobics, cycling? If so, do you do this on the same day as running?

I didn't do C25K because I didn't like the intervals and I kind of did my own and I'm up to being able to "run" for 2 straight miles (just between 26 and 27 min) non stop now. I'm starting to enjoy it. I can't do it every day, though, so I do lower impact cardio between.
  • cryptonyt
    cryptonyt Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I am no expert, but I will share my experience. I run pretty much every morning, although I miss the occasional day. I started about 3 months ago, but I also play soccer, where I run a lot too (I play centre midfield). I run about 5k each morning. I run in the neighbourhood of my office during the week (we have a shower in the office building), and in the park across the street from my house on weekends. There are a few things that I would have told myself if I were starting today. I would definitely say get good shoes. For me, I also find that having an app on my phone helps. I have a heart monitor too, but I like the app for tracking. I use an app on my phone called, "RunKeeper". I like it, but I'm sure there are lots of equivalent apps out there. The app that I use is customizable to your taste for updates and music playlist. I set it to tell me my pace, distance traveled, and time every three minutes. I find that keeps me motivated. I also find that switching my route each day makes my run more enjoyable. I have a couple of routes that I run, and sometimes to add more variation I will adjust them (i.e. clockwise one day, counterclockwise another). What else I find really helps me is music. I bought some great headphones, that don;t pop out of my ears as I run, and I took the time to make my own playlist of songs that motivate me. I think my playlist is about 60 songs so far, and I add to it. I just set my phone on shuffle, and start running. One last thing, is stretching. I stretch my legs and upper body before each run, and then stretch after the run too. Anyway, I hope that you enjoy your running! :-) Good luck!
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I've been running just over 3 years...started off going four days a week but now I usually run 5 days a week, taking Fridays and Mondays off since I do my long runs on Saturdays and Sundays... rest and recovery is important. But that being said, if I am prepping for a long race, I will go on streaks where I run everyday for a few weeks so I can get used to running on tired legs and learning how to fight those mental battles.

Just don't push it.... there is no point in running every day just to say you run everyday if you end up hurt and injured... slow and steady and consistent wins out.... it all comes down to miles on legs....building the base.. I am not a natural born runner...and I didn't even start until I was 53, but I just passed the 4,000 mile mark....I'm not anything special, I'm just consistent and stubborn...lol
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I started running consistently since October of 2013. Back then I was doing 3 miles on the treadmill at a time 4-5 days a week.
    I increased slowly the number of miles I ran on the treadmill and started running outdoors for 4 miles on Saturdays starting a month later. Then I started to really increase my miles very fast to the point to ditch the treadmill all together. But even at that point I was only running at most 5 days a week. I had to slow down in the month of February and March cause of an overuse injury on my left ankle and knee. Starting in May is when I started to pile the miles back on but slowly. It's just now, 10 months later that I ventured to run 6 days a week. But 2 of those days are slow 5 milers. (slow in comparison to the other days that i am running by like 1 minute to 90 seconds slower pace).
  • Ryanna77
    Ryanna77 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the C25K for 7 weeks now and I still find my legs are tired frequently. If I take 2 solid days off (no walking or running), I am typically able to complete the 28 minutes of straight running, otherwise I need to take quick breaks in between. I am thinking there are two things inhibiting me from being a long distance runner. First of all, I tend to run faster than a lot of my friends who are everyday runners. I try to slow down, but I just get bored. Secondly, on my off days, I still walk 4-5 miles at a brisk pace. On a typical day of C25K I do a total of 5 miles of running and walking within an hour. I'm beginning to think I should just give up on the C25K and do intervals walking and faster running to achieve my goals of getting in shape and losing a few lbs. Any thoughts on this?
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I run 3 days a week (skip a day, then run). There is the occasional 4 days (usually the 4th is a race).

The other 3 days a week that I'm not running, I strength train, specifically weight lifting. I believe strongly in the importance of cross training and the benefits of strength training.

I do have one day a week for "rest". Since I play sports (football and softball), I don't always get that rest day.

I took up running a little over 1.5 years ago. Started with a C25K also. I love running. I currently have 2 days that are longish runs, and one day that is a shorter, but more intense, run.

Enjoy running, and I know you'll rock that 5k in October. My best advice is to be careful about adding mileage. After the C25K program, take your time adding days and/or distance. You want to reduce your chance of injury.:flowerforyou:
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I run every week day and take the weekends off. 1.) because I like sleeping in and 2.) because I'm always out hiking/swimming/doing something else, so I don't try to over do it on my legs. I've always ran while playing sports, etc., so I just kept at it after school...so I don't know how long it takes to become an 'avid runner', you can't really compare people, as everyone is going to be different. Just take your time, have fun and go at your own pace.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    I started to run about a year ago 3 days a week and about a mile each time. I slowly added distance then another day and for the last 3 months or so I have run daily with the occasion day off if I feel I need it. I run anywhere from 2 to 5 miles, again depending what my body tells me. I tend to do lighter days the morning after I lift, I have been doing Stronglifts 5x5 for over month now. On my rest day when I take one I might bike after work or take my dog for a long walk.
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options

I run around 10km or more almost every day. I was able to start running daily after a few months of consistent training and finished last month with 427km (a little over 265 miles).

** BUT -- I can't capitalize this enough **
    I was a former recreational runner sidelined by injury for a LONG time. I had to get my body re-acclimated to doing it. You have to build the miles SLOWLY and be PATIENT to avoid injury. Don't increase your mileage too quickly. Considering that you are just starting, don't worry about doing anything "fast" or any type of speed work. Keep a SLOW jog, keep moving forward, and most importantly LISTEN to your body. Don't push it, run through pain, and get injured -- either take a complete rest day or do other activities like walking, biking, elliptical trainer, etc. instead.

So if you want to run more often after finishing C25K, keep the mileage per week the same and split it into shorter workout sessions. Then you can start adding mileage slowly over time.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I run around 10km or more almost every day. I was able to start running daily after a few months of consistent training and finished last month with 427km (a little over 265 miles).

Codemonkey obviously is an animal. Follow his advice at your own risk. Running 265 miles in a month might make a leg fall off. I think I'm a tough guy when I get 180 in a month. Codemonkey sissifies me.
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options

Codemonkey obviously is an animal. Follow his advice at your own risk. Running 265 miles in a month might make a leg fall off. I think I'm a tough guy when I get 180 in a month. Codemonkey sissifies me.

180 miles in a month is NOTHING to laugh at.. at all! You've must have beast mode enabled yourself LoneWolf!

I'm nobody.. Just a running addict :). And I wasn't able to put in that kind of mileage after a few months.. I'm a pansy lightweight compared to some of the beasts I see in my Strava groups. One of them finished last month with 982.2km (over 610 miles).

But I would NEVER advise ANYONE to ramp up to this type of mileage in short order -- it's a recipe for injury. I would mainly advise the OP to build the cardio base first, adding on mileage SLOWLY, and listening to their body.
  • Muzica1959
    Options
    You folks are giving some awesome advice. Trust me, I plan to take this super slow. I have no visions of grandeur about being a fast runner and winning races. My goal is to be as fit as I can. I'm a firm believe in the adage that slow and steady wins the race. If I am able to run 3 miles a day, 5x a week eventually, I will be happy. As for running fast, that isn't even in my equation. I figure that speed will come naturally with just running and more so as the weight comes off. I've read of some that run 9 and 10 minute miles. I'll be happy to run a 15 to 20 minute mile...and I'm not even looking toward that until I've been running for a year or so.

I do need to find a place to get fitted properly for running shoes. I live in NoWheresVille so there are no stores like that around here. I'm thinking I will have to drive to the Big City aka Nashville to find a place like that. Any advise on how to find a store like that is very much welcomed. Until then I have 2 different pairs of New Balance that I am switching up. So far, I haven't had any real pain to even mention. Sometimes I feel stiff when I first start walking but by the time my 5 minute warm up is over...the pain is gone.

Other than my question about where to get fitted properly for shoes...my next question is about eating before and after a workout...especially a race. What are your thoughts on this? What do you eat or drink pre and post run???
  • Muzica1959
    Options
    And anyone who would like to add me to their "friends list" I would be honored. One cannot have too many running buddies even if they are just virtual.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    You folks are giving some awesome advice. Trust me, I plan to take this super slow. I have no visions of grandeur about being a fast runner and winning races. My goal is to be as fit as I can. I'm a firm believe in the adage that slow and steady wins the race. If I am able to run 3 miles a day, 5x a week eventually, I will be happy. As for running fast, that isn't even in my equation. I figure that speed will come naturally with just running and more so as the weight comes off. I've read of some that run 9 and 10 minute miles. I'll be happy to run a 15 to 20 minute mile...and I'm not even looking toward that until I've been running for a year or so.

I do need to find a place to get fitted properly for running shoes. I live in NoWheresVille so there are no stores like that around here. I'm thinking I will have to drive to the Big City aka Nashville to find a place like that. Any advise on how to find a store like that is very much welcomed. Until then I have 2 different pairs of New Balance that I am switching up. So far, I haven't had any real pain to even mention. Sometimes I feel stiff when I first start walking but by the time my 5 minute warm up is over...the pain is gone.

Other than my question about where to get fitted properly for shoes...my next question is about eating before and after a workout...especially a race. What are your thoughts on this? What do you eat or drink pre and post run???

For the eating/drinking part: You'll need to find what works for you. Before I run, I will have eaten a meal within the past 2-4 hours. I always eat breakfast before a race...making sure it's 1.5-2 hours before the race. Post-race depends on how long the race is or if it's close to a meal time. The key is...don't eat anything "new" before a run. The last thing you want to do is upset your stomach while running.

As for drinking: I make sure I'm hydrated before any run and don't carry water unless the distance is in the 8 mile & above range. I always have water afterwards. For half-marathon training, I do also have coconut water to give me some extra potassium/nutrients on runs over 90 minutes long.

Running stores: You can Google "nashville running stores" and see what you come up with. Here in Houston, we have places like Luke's Locker, Tri-Run, and Fleet Feet. Not sure if those have locations in Nashville.
  • cdomoe
    cdomoe Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different eating before or after a run. Personally i cant eat a full meal before i run, however i can stomach 1/2 a banana and i just eat the other half when im finished, with lots and lots of water. I use to run 3-4 miles 6x a week, however i stopped for a few months so im building slowly back up to daily runs, i average 2-3 miles 4 x a week right now.