Whey Protein Shake: Before or After Workout ?

Options
Just curious.

Replies

• kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    I was always told after but within 1 hour of finishing the workout.
  • RunnerStephe
    RunnerStephe Posts: 2,195
    Options
    I do mine after too.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Before real food - post workout I can't handle real food for about 1 hour-ish hence shake of whey + fast carbs.
  • alpinehealth
    alpinehealth Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I do a protein shake within 30 minutes after a work out. Always.
  • nopotofgold
    nopotofgold Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    It depends on time. If I can do it an hour before I will have one than. I always work out better if I don't feel full which can lead to nausea if I am pushing limits. And if I can't I do it after.
  • loveless_me
    loveless_me Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    What does a whey protein shake do? Is it just a source of protein? Could I take it even though I am trying to lose weight and I do mostly cardio (but some strength training like squats and push ups) I am lacking in protein because I'm a vegitarian
  • maizerage66
    maizerage66 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    There is no magic for when to consume that shake. It differs for everyone. Some people take it before because it gives them energy and strength, some people take it after because they can't tolerate real food right away or don't have access to food for an extended period of time. I used to follow all the bro science and consume a shake immediately after to help the results but timing doesn't really matter. It's food and it all comes down to CICO.
  • May_Rose
    May_Rose Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    It makes very little difference as long as you're getting enough protein throught the day. I drink my during though ;).
  • maizerage66
    maizerage66 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    What does a whey protein shake do? Is it just a source of protein? Could I take it even though I am trying to lose weight and I do mostly cardio (but some strength training like squats and push ups) I am lacking in protein because I'm a vegitarian

It is just protein in powdered form which makes it easy to access and quick to consume. It is optimal for weight loss, it helps you maintain your muscle mass and strength while you lose fat. It will not make you gain weight unless you have an allergic reaction or it puts you over your calorie limits.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Before or after? Yes.

Or whenever you want. Get adequate protein/calories over the course of the day. Don't worry about eating within an hour after a workout. I like to eat within a few hours afterwards just in case there are any partitioning benefits, but the big picture seems to indicate that the timing doesn't matter much or at all.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Nutrient timing doesn't matter, taking protein before or after a workout is bro-science.

Having enough protein however is very important. I personally strive to make sure I at a minimum reach my protein and fat goals for the day, then spend the rest on carbs. If I go over my fat and protein that's ok, I"ll just consume less carbs.

I personally find protein shakes handy on the days where I'm not consuming enough protein through my regular food. Protein shakes are food, and mine are tasty so i consider them a treat that helps me reach my macros.
  • SeptemberLondon
    SeptemberLondon Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I think it's a personal preference. I prefer to work out early morning & usually on an empty stomach (if anything, I'll have a banana an hour prior). Then I have a protein shake w/ added fiber for breakfast. It's convenient, nutritious, and fits into my workday very well.

Like others have said, I also don't have much appetite for a few hours after a hard workout.
  • Ljordan_fitflow
    Ljordan_fitflow Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    There is no magic for when to consume that shake. It differs for everyone. Some people take it before because it gives them energy and strength, some people take it after because they can't tolerate real food right away or don't have access to food for an extended period of time. I used to follow all the bro science and consume a shake immediately after to help the results but timing doesn't really matter. It's food and it all comes down to CICO.

Agree with this
  • meanpooh
    meanpooh Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I do both. About 30 min before and as soon as possible when finished.
  • FatJockSing
    FatJockSing Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Whatever suits - it is reasonably argued that the impact of food timing VS the overall impact 'Calories In vs Calories Out" is relatively insignificant. Top end single figure Body Fat people heading for a show MAY find it critical to get teh timing correct. For the rest of us, not a huge issue. (IMHO)
    :ohwell: