Protein Bar Recommendations

Options

Replies

• Cheekies_
    Cheekies_ Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Aldi's Fit & Active brand protein bars are really tasty and very economical. My favorites are the Chocolate Chip and Double Chocolate. (I am clearly using these as a chocolate fix, I think :tongue: ) They have between 170 and 180 calories and 10 grams of protein.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Clif bars. I buy the 240/250 calorie bars, but we've gotten smaller bars for the kids. I love just about all of the flavors, especially the blueberry.

Clif bars are far from protein bars unless you're talking about the Clif Builder's Bars. Clif bars are pretty much all carbs.

He's right. I've eaten them, just for fun cuz they are tasty, but those bad boys are for long distance riders, or a day long hiker or climbers. Not for daily eating, unless you are already a high functioning athlete (I just made that phrase up). For the rest of us that don't workout for hours at a time and don't cycle for 40 mile a day, it's too much.

If I get Clif bars, I cut them into four pieces.
  • jferg70
    jferg70 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Clif Builders Bars....Chocolate Mint tastes like Girl Scout Thin Mint Cookies.
  • cld1075
    cld1075 Posts: 25
    Options
    I like Pure Protein bars. They actually taste kinda good and not so much like cardboard. Chocolate Peanut Caramel has 190 calories and 20 grams of protein. Pretty yummy.
  • weavernv
    weavernv Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • vmlabute
    vmlabute Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Clif Bars (minis), they are great!!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Quest bars are disgusting to me.

Clif bars have too many carbs.

Balance bars are my favorite.
  • weavernv
    weavernv Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I'm paying attention to all of these suggestions. But do any of you know how many of these are gluten free? I need protein too, but I'm gluten intolerant...
  • stellaelise
    Options
    When I was really into working out, I would have 1/2 a Mint Chocolate Clif Bar as a treat after each time I went to the gym.
  • cld1075
    cld1075 Posts: 25
    Options
    Pure Protein is Gluten free.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I love Oh Yeah Good Grab Bar has 15grm protein taste like a candy bar. I got it at Costco.
  • One2Run
    One2Run Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Quest definitely has gluten free bars (cookies and cream is one of them). Not sure about the others. I would imagine they have a bunch. Quest rocks. Coconut cashew is also really good.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    Not a bar, but IMO beef jerky oz vs oz offers more protein.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Love Fiber One Caramel Nut......feel like I am eating a snicker's bar. 7 grams of protein, not a lot but love it. :bigsmile:
  • nam985
    nam985 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm paying attention to all of these suggestions. But do any of you know how many of these are gluten free? I need protein too, but I'm gluten intolerant...

The Simply Protein bars I suggested are gluten free.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Not a bar, but IMO beef jerky oz vs oz offers more protein.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    I'm with you on this one.

For protein after a lifting session I also like Premier Protein shakes. 30 grams, only a couple of grams of sugar and 160 calories. I drink one after a run some mornings before work and find I'm not hungry for anything else until lunch. I buy them at Costco so they aren't too pricey but I think I need to find their powder.

I've also bought the Pure Protein bars at Costco. They are reasonably priced, taste pretty good and don't have too much sugar, one of my criteria. The only negative about that pack of bars is that all of the flavors are chocolate coated. I really wish at least one of them was chocolate-free. I just don't want to eat chocolate for breakfast (that's when I usually have a protein bar) every day.
  • DavidSTC
    DavidSTC Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Clif bars. I buy the 240/250 calorie bars, but we've gotten smaller bars for the kids. I love just about all of the flavors, especially the blueberry.

Clif bars are far from protein bars unless you're talking about the Clif Builder's Bars. Clif bars are pretty much all carbs.

He's right. I've eaten them, just for fun cuz they are tasty, but those bad boys are for long distance riders, or a day long hiker or climbers. Not for daily eating, unless you are already a high functioning athlete (I just made that phrase up). For the rest of us that don't workout for hours at a time and don't cycle for 40 mile a day, it's too much.

If I get Clif bars, I cut them into four pieces.

OK, good points. Strike my comments from the record. They're carby, but do have some protein, so I eat them here and there as a snack when I'm on the run.
  • AusteenaHayes
    Options
    Pure protein (190)
    Special K (190)
    Fit & Active (190)
    Fiber One Protein (140)
  • shadesof66
    shadesof66 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Quest, hands down :)

^^^this....apple pie flavor...
  • blamse
    blamse Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Quest Bars all the way for me with the following rank for taste: 1) Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, and I just finished eating one; 2) Cookies and Cream; 3) White Chocolate Raspberry

I don't think you can beat them overall when you factor in the taste, high amount of protein, low amount of sugar and high fiber content. They do cost more than some others but I think you get what you pay for with them.