What are people doing?

Options
How are people burning so many calories?? I've seen people posting on here about burning close to, and often more than 1000 calories - not just once, but repeatedly.

I am fit, I exercise a LOT and never get close to these figures. If I run (say 12kms), MFP calculates that I burn around 500 calories. Are people running half marathons every day?? If I do an hour of Jillian Michaels DVDs, i.e. 30 Day Shred followed by 6 pack abs, I'll burn around 400 ish under 'circuit training'and that is HARD going.

So please share the secret!!

Replies

• VegGrrl
    VegGrrl Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's because you don't weigh very much? I know that if I walk 3.5 mph for 30 minutes and my much thinner friend does too - I burn a LOT more calories 'cause I am lugging so much more with me... Or maybe you should check some online "calories burned" websites and see if they agree with what MFP is telling you.

I understand your frustration - my husband burns 1000+ calories during his workouts (1 hour) - but he does ride a bike at VERY high intensity, he weighs about 25 lbs more than me, and he's male. And he leaves about a gallon of sweat in a puddle when he's done. Really. It makes me want to smack him! lol
  • tinkerbell1964
    Options
    morning , i've not come close to 1000 calories burnt

yesterday i managed to burn a max of 585 cal doing 30 mins stationary bike ,15 minsstationary rowing , walking up and down stairs, and 20 mins walking
  • tinkerbell1964
    Options
    Maybe it's because you don't weigh very much? I know that if I walk 3.5 mph for 30 minutes and my much thinner friend does too - I burn a LOT more calories 'cause I am lugging so much more with me... Or maybe you should check some online "calories burned" websites and see if they agree with what MFP is telling you.

I understand your frustration - my husband burns 1000+ calories during his workouts (1 hour) - but he does ride a bike at VERY high intensity, he weighs about 25 lbs more than me, and he's male. And he leaves about a gallon of sweat in a puddle when he's done. Really. It makes me want to smack him! lol

lol at the last bit :smile:
  • nickyevans
    nickyevans Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Get a heart rate monitor that works out your calorie burn more accurately. My husband and I both use them, it is a little annoying he burns way more than I do but... he works a lot harder and he weighs more!
  • Ghyllfoot
    Options
    In truth I am unsure how those figures are achieved but it should have something to do with the overall weight that is being exercised....at least, logic dictates that

I run on my treadmill 6 days a week and currently doing 25mins each run at 6mph (10 minute miles) at an incline of 2% that achieves 408calories for my weight so again, logic could dictate that 1hr at 6mph on a 2%incline would achieve >1000calories

I'll give it a few weeks though before I head that far :wink:
  • mutleyreid
    Options
    I have a stationary bike, I put the telly on and vigorously cycle for about an hour. This burns close to 1000 cals.
  • Endershadow
    Endershadow Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have a stationary bike, I put the telly on and vigorously cycle for about an hour. This burns close to 1000 cals.

Same here, 1-1.5 hours stationary bike, plus either weight lifting / softball / ab ripper x
    I'm trying to burn 1000-1500 cals every day. I'm at 192 lbs right now.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I think the key is in the first reply you got, i.e. larger people will burn many more calories doing the same exercise for the same length of time at the same intensity than you will.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    OK, that makes more sense then. I'm 115lbs so I am on the lighter side. Haven't got an HRM yet - am worried it'll tell me I'm burning even less than I thought, lol
  • chrish1981
    Options
    I think (maybe) people's HRM are off.

I bought one and after a Zumba class it said I burned almost 1000 calories, to which my husband said was insane. Actually, his words were, "Do you know what you have to DO to burn 1000 calories? Look it up!"

And I did. And I definitely DIDN'T burn 1000 calories.

BUT: based on what it shows and exercise averages, I've determined that if I take the total # and divide it by two, that gives me an accurate reading. I mean, everything on here isn't totally, 100% accurate, but 1000 calories in one workout isn't likely.
  • nickyevans
    nickyevans Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I love my HRM, it does say I am burning less calories than MFP would work it out but that maybe due to me not setting the settings quite correctly. It is possible HRM's are off for other people as they do need a bit of fine tuning. The one I have sets my heart rate zones every time I exercise based on a short warm up session. I dont think I have ever had my HRM say I have burned more calories than MFP or any other food and diet website has estimated for me though, it has always been less than websites say.
  • NanBar
    NanBar Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Just a few observations...

If you have a quality HRM with a chest strap, then it is unlikely it would be off. I have checked my pulse against my HRM several times and it is right on. (unless it is not being set correctly as someone said)

Heavier people burn more calories. My running buddy is 108 pounds- I am 176- we run- stride for stride together. She burns less than half of what I burn in the same run.

It is VERY possible to burn 1000 calories doing Zumba- many people do- if they bust it out.

Also- there are MANY hard core members here, people who spend several hours working out...HARD... and doing lots cardio. I burn between 550 and 900 calories a day and there are many of my MFP friends who burn 1000+...and many of them are the ones who have lost 50-100 pounds. :-)

But to the original poster- you are very fit and your body is a conditioned machine, you are light.....you don;t have THAT many calories to burn! Be happy about that! :-)
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    The majority of people on MFP are overweight or obese and if you weigh more, you burn more.

55 minutes on the elliptical burns 500 calories for me (HRM, machine and MFP all come up with similar numbers). 30 day shred in the full 26 minutes is a measly 150 calories. I'm 5'8 and 138 - very healthy weight/bf.

Don't be discouraged, join the "not very heavy girls...." thread full of other healthy people trying to loose 5-15 lbs of mostly vanity weight or to turn fat into muscle.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged, join the "not very heavy girls...." thread full of other healthy people trying to loose 5-15 lbs of mostly vanity weight or to turn fat into muscle.

Is there a link? I've not seen that thread yet but am relatively new here.
  • chrish1981
    Options

If you have a quality HRM with a chest strap, then it is unlikely it would be off. I have checked my pulse against my HRM several times and it is right on. (unless it is not being set correctly as someone said)

It is VERY possible to burn 1000 calories doing Zumba- many people do- if they bust it out.

I do not have a quality heart rate monitor, nor does it have a chest strap, which is probably why it's off. Can't afford a great one right now, so I gotta work with what I've got unfortunately. Got great reviews, but is essentially a pos.

Hey, maybe I AM burning 1000 cals in Zumba; who knows? Everything I've read everywhere suggests otherwise, but I definitely "bust out." I'm under 150, and everything I've read has said that the average 150 lbs woman usually burns somewhere around 500 cals during a class. If you find anything contrary, I'd love to read it, because I haven't been able. :-)
  • NanBar
    NanBar Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    It is probably your HRM.
    I got my Polar F-6 (new) on ebay for 70$ shipped. Which I was pretty happy about! (Because my budget was pretty small!) There are come great timex ones there as well!

I think the people who are really burning may be heavier than you. I ALSO think it depends on the teacher and the way she teaches class and the length of classes. (There is a teacher where I live who is a salsa dancer- and she is fierce! I wouldn't attempt it- she would kill me!)