Supplements/Weight loss Pills, YES or NO?

Options
Ok, well of course I know there are quite a bit of supplements that are just fine to use. For those I am wondering what favorites are, or which brands are best.
I am looking for, or I guess thinking about, diet pills though. Something to accelerate metabolism and whatnot.
Are there any out there that aren't absolutely terrible? Something someone recommends?

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Save the money from the pills, buy a digital food scale instead with the money. Then eat at a deficit. You'll lose weight and then keep it off.
  • AshleyLeelette
    AshleyLeelette Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Save the money from the pills, buy a digital food scale instead with the money. Then eat at a deficit. You'll lose weight and then keep it off.

I know I should, but I still am curious/interested, and I don't want to rule it out quite yet.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options

Best advice you can get. But if you buy the scale and then still want to spend money and if like me you're a novice when it comes to cooking from scratch, try a healthy cooking class or hit the bookstore up for some healthy food cookbooks and spend your money on that. Because pills will either not work or only work until you build up a tolerance (it doesn't take long). Cooking skills on the other hand lasts a lifetime.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options

I know I should, but I still am curious/interested, and I don't want to rule it out quite yet.

If you know you should, you gotta get over that debate. The curiosity is coming from somewhere, I know when my mind starts wandering that direction it's because I feel like I should be moving "faster" or lose faster or whatever. The answer is...you don't need to accelerate your metabolism and even if you could, it's not good for you. Please just don't.
  • Jonalee1977
    Jonalee1977 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Supplements, yes. Diet pills, no.

I take a food-based multivitamin, magnesium supplement, Vitamin D, fish oil, and COQ10. There is no quick way to lose weight and keep it off. It's all about hard work, determination, and persistence.
  • michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    If you want a dietary supplement, go for a multivitamin. :)
  • Leah_62803
    Leah_62803 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Yeah... I work in a bank and diet pills are like candy here. When a new "amazing" one comes out, everyone here is buying and selling them. It's been this way since I started here 8 years ago and guess what...all of the pill poppers are STILL trying to lose the weight.
    They always have an initial big loss at the beginning and then it tapers off...and then comes right back. So it's on to the next one.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Voting for "No".

I second investing in a digital food scale and losing fat, not just weight. Eat at a moderate deficit, pick up a resistance training program and win. Even IF diet pills make you lose faster (pixie dust and rainbow farts)....what good is it to be skinny fat?
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    we'd all like there to be an easier way to lose weight. wouldn't it be great? sadly the things that make you lose weight fastest all come with a price - reduced muscle, which in turn means you burn less calories and so put on more weight, and sometimes damage to health. juice fasts, diet pills, over-exercising, cutting calories dangerously low will all give accelerated weight loss, but the price is too high.

diet pills that work don't accelerate metabolism that much - the prescription ones that work are usually speed, and the main effect is that people who take them won't want to eat. and while people who take them lose weight, they lose a lot of muscle, which is what burns calories, so after they quit the pills (which are, btw, addictive), their bodies burn less calories than they did before the pills. i've never known a person who took them who didn't gain all the weight back plus some more and some ended up on a cycle of gaining weight, taking the pills, losing weight, gaining weight, taking the pills and so on. prescription diet pills also raise your blood pressure and can also damage various organs.

for supplements, i use a low potency multi vitamin (whole foods adult multi plus iron) plus an unsweetened protein powder that i sweeten with stevia.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Diet pills are a quick fix and a waste of money. Learning new habits via video restriction and moderation rocks.
  • lukewind
    lukewind Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Just a note

There is very little regulation on supplements because our lovely congress loves taking money from the industry, and a lot of these companies are run by some pretty shady people. So stay far away from thermogenic supplements. There is some research showing that they work, but they pose a great risk to your health because no one knows what happens when you take them for a long time.

The biggest reason to not take supplements is that you are cheating your progress. To get thin and healthy is better to push yourself because you will be stronger in the end and able to hold the weight off. If you get there by chemical means then you didn't get the advantage of working for it and all that it does to your body.

A multivitamin is a good option, although if you eat well a MV is not really needed, but sometimes women have a hard time getting all there nutrients on a calorie deficit.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Supplements, yes. Diet pills, no.

I take a food-based multivitamin, magnesium supplement, Vitamin D, fish oil, and COQ10. There is no quick way to lose weight and keep it off. It's all about hard work, determination, and persistence.

I think this is a good distinction and I wanna make sure it gets seen. If you have trouble getting all your vitamins with your diet (which can be difficult if you're not used to it) then a supplement can be very beneficial. I drink protein shakes, same concept.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Voting for "No".

I second investing in a digital food scale and losing fat, not just weight. Eat at a moderate deficit, pick up a resistance training program and win. Even IF diet pills make you lose faster (pixie dust and rainbow farts)....what good is it to be skinny fat?

This!^

No diet pill is going to help you keep the weight from coming back. You have to change habits....change your lifestyle to keep any weight lost from coming back.

Losing & re-gaining stinks. You lose fat+muscle (without steps to maintain muscle)......gain the weight back and you just gain fat. You end up with a higher body fat % than when you started.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    no.
  • AshleyLeelette
    Options
    Thank you everyone! Of course, you're all RIGHT! I know in my head I was wishing this was going faster, and realistically that just means I need to work more (the right way)

I'll stop thinking so lazy about it, I know there's no magic pill, I would have found it already!!

I do need a multivitamin though, and will be getting that!
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,483 Member
    Options
    I take 1 multivitamin, 2 probiotic capsules, 2 fish oil capsules and 1 150mg Zantac daily.

Diet pills not so much!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Diet pills don't work.

Hard work, discipline, and a caloric deficit do though.

Rev your metabolism by EXERCISING.
  • AshleyLeelette
    Options
    Voting for "No".

This!^

No diet pill is going to help you keep the weight from coming back. You have to change habits....change your lifestyle to keep any weight lost from coming back.

Losing & re-gaining stinks. You lose fat+muscle (without steps to maintain muscle)......gain the weight back and you just gain fat. You end up with a higher body fat % than when you started.

I never thought of this! Makes sense, and yeah, I want to end the yo-yo-ing
  • burtnyks
    burtnyks Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Forget the pills. Lift weights and add some muscle mass. Never in a million years did I think I could eat 2600 calories a day and have that be my maintenance. Adding muscle will boost your metabolism better than any diet pill will.
  • MeRoHa
    MeRoHa Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Supplements are a Yes- taking those recommended by my doctor. So called quick fix diet pills - NO! Also watch my daily protein intake and try to meet the recommendations for my calorie intake.