A New Swimsuit And A New Friend - Pix too

Options
I got a new swimsuit in the mail yesterday and went to the local Inshape Spa today to put it to use.

Happily, the usually busy pool was almost empty. There was only one other lady in the water. I was a lap and met up with the nice woman named Judy in the shallow end.

Judy is a large lady. I am guessing that she is a 'bit' smaller than my former highest weight of 280+ pounds. What was truly amazing was what Judy told me about herself. Her doctors had told her that she needed a double knee replacement...just like my situation back in 2012. Her doctor also insisted that she had to lose A LOT OF WEIGHT...just like my doctor told me in 2012. She was offered a chance for gastric bypass surgery but was not comfortable with that suggestion, because of the risks...the same reason that I had passed on that surgery in 2012.

Judy was telling me...MY STORY.

At that point, I began to share with her about my 120+ pound weight loss and my double knee replacement surgery. Not a surprise for me at all, Judy asked, "How did you lose the weight." That's when I told her about MFP, calorie counting and the encouragement that I found here on MFP. I told her how to find MFP and me online.

Finally, I went back to swimming; and Judy went to the hot tub...only to find herself in a conversation with MY HUBBIE, Special Ed. It wasn't long, before I heard Ed confirming all that I had told Judy about my weight loss and surgery experience. He really BRAGGING about his wife and her success with MFP.

Judy wanted to get my phone number and the words My Fitness Pal on her cell phone, before she left the spa. Ed gave her one of his business cards for our church, letting her know which number would reach Sue; and she wrote MFP on the back. I'm pretty sure that I will be hearing from Judy very soon and maybe even getting an MFP friend request from my new friend this week.

Here are a couple of fun photos to share with all of you.

June of 2013 - This was my first swimsuit in 50 years. It was a size 20, and I weighed 216 pounds. My sweet hubbie Ed thought that I was his beautiful bathing beauty. Thank God, he sees me through the eyes of a man in love.

06-13-13Backtothepool05_zpsf1fbe6bf.jpg

This was my first time back in the water after more than 50 years, because I was afraid to put on a swimsuit. What a silly reason to miss out on something so wonderful.

06-12-13FirstTimeinthePool01_zpsbc4c18cd.jpg

This is my newest swimsuit. It is a size 14, and I weigh 160 pounds. My hubbie still sees me as his 'beautiful bathing beauty'.

08-01-14SuesNewSwimsuit01_zps4fc43862.jpg

If you think that you are too fat to wear a swimsuit and get in the pool...DON'T WAIT ANY LONGER. You are making a terrible mistake. Swimming is a joy...no matter how big you are.

Replies

• cally69
    cally69 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to let you know that I find you amazing and inspirational. A truly amazing achievement.
    I started at 277 lbs and a few months into the journey plucked up the courage to get into a swimsuit and into the pool. Never looked back, don't know why I worried so much about it as I see all kind of body shapes in the pool. Even managed to encourage a few colleagues into swimming and have converted a few into MFP'ers. Swimming is the right exercise for me, it's fun and doesn't feel like hard work. It's helped my weight loss and altered my body too. Can't recommend it enough.
    Sounds like you have a great hubby too, definitely helps.
    Well done x
  • blakedebo
    blakedebo Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    What an inspirational experience, so glad you are comfortable sharing your story with others and spreading the love of MFP!
    you look great in your new suit!
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I can see what a joy swimming is for you just by the look on your face while in the pool.

Thanks for sharing your inspirational stories!
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I think you may need a 12. :)