What would Jesus eat?

Options
Has anyone read the book, "What Would Jesus eat?" It's biblical based facts on how they ate in the time of Jesus. It touches on their herbs, their exercise, their nutrition, it's a very informative book. :smile:

Replies

• arrestaad
    Options
    Has anyone read the book, "What Would Jesus eat?" It's biblical based facts on how they ate in the time of Jesus. It touches on their herbs, their exercise, their nutrition, it's a very informative book. :smile:
  • RedCurls
    RedCurls Posts: 56
    Options
    I've not heard of it but it sounds like something my mom would love. She does the Hallelujah Acres diet. She juices a lot and doesn't eat meat. I will have to mention it to her.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Jesus ate meat--well, almost extremely certain He ate meat. The Last Supper was Passover and the meal contained Lamb, so......

anyway, I've heard of biblical based diets before. Ok I guess if they work for you, but I love my pork!

Interesting side note--humans were vegetarians until after the flood.
  • kleimola
    kleimola Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Jesus ate meat--well, almost extremely certain He ate meat. The Last Supper was Passover and the meal contained Lamb, so......

anyway, I've heard of biblical based diets before. Ok I guess if they work for you, but I love my pork!

are you serious? I didn't know that. Can you give em some references on that, I am curious.
  • kleimola
    Options

are you serious? I didn't know that. Can you give em some references on that, I am curious.

Ont eh humans were vegetarians part, I know Jesus ate meat.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    considering the lifespan of humans at that time, I'll choose NOT to eat what Jesus ate. No offense, but not everything was better in the good ole days.
  • shorerider
    Options

Very--yes, here's scriptural quotations for you.

Gen. 1: 29: (Pre-flood) Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. 30 And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air and all the creatures that move on the ground—everything that has the breath of life in it—I give every green plant for food." And it was so.

Gen 9: (after the flood) 1 Then God blessed Noah and his sons, saying to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the earth. 2 The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea; they are given into your hands. 3 Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything. "
  • shorerider
    Options
    considering the lifespan of humans at that time, I'll choose NOT to eat what Jesus ate. No offense, but not everything was better in the good ole days.

LOL---good one, Banks!

I've heard of the "John the Baptist" diet, too. All natural stuff. While I wouldn't mind the honey, I couldn't do the locusts--they stick between your teeth too much. :tongue:
  • kleimola
    Options

Gen. 1: 29: (Pre-flood) Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. 30 And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air and all the creatures that move on the ground—everything that has the breath of life in it—I give every green plant for food." And it was so.

Gen 9: (after the flood) 1 Then God blessed Noah and his sons, saying to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the earth. 2 The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea; they are given into your hands. 3 Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything. "

Thanks I think I missed that. I will have to have a discussion on this with the Pastor.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options

Interesting point. Since the average lifespan for my family seems to be the mid-seventies, maybe I'll have a look at that book. I'd love to live to be at least 80.
  • shorerider
    Options
    Thanks I think I missed that. I will have to have a discussion on this with the Pastor.

Pssstt--you just did.

UMC pastor for 3.5 years. Got the robe, Master of Divinity, and student loan payments to prove it. :tongue: hypocrite.gif
  • kleimola
    Options

Pssstt--you just did.

UMC pastor for 3.5 years. Got the robe, Master of Divinity, and student loan payments to prove it. :tongue: hypocrite.gif

Sweet! UMC rocks! That is what I am. I have an awesome Pastor that I love to talk to about stuff like this.
  • shorerider
    Options

Pssstt--you just did.

Sweet! UMC rocks! That is what I am. I have an awesome Pastor that I love to talk to about stuff like this.

Where are you at?
  • kleimola
    Options

Pssstt--you just did.

Where are you at?
    I am in MD
  • arrestaad
    Options
    Actually, In those days, meat was only consumed during celebrations. Meat was not a common food. I don't remember reading anything about what was on the menu at the Passover??? What passage is that in???
  • BEFORE
    BEFORE Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options

Wow thanks that was pretty interesting. I was told that the early days man was a vegatarian and later switched to meat but never new when they switched. thanks.
  • shorerider
    Options
    Actually, In those days, meat was only consumed during celebrations. Meat was not a common food. I don't remember reading anything about what was on the menu at the Passover??? What passage is that in???

Lamb was and is the traditional dish served at Passover, which Jesus and the disciples were observing at the Last Supper. In fact, two of the disciples were instructed to go get the lamb and "prepare it for the meal." This is to remember the original Passover in Egypt, when the Hebrews were instructed to sacrifice a lamb, and smear the blood over their door posts so the "angel of the Lord" would "pass over" their house.

It is also why we refer to Jesus as "the Lamb of God"--He was and is and always will be, for Christians, the final and only perfect sacrifice for forgiveness of sins and salvation.

So, Jesus and the disciples sat down to eat the Passover Lamb but the disciples didn't understand that Jesus was the Perfect Lamb.
  • shorerider
    Options

I am in MD

Cool! I serve in VA. I might know your pastor--maybe. I went to seminary with a lot of people serving or going to serve in MD. Sent me a private message and tell my your pastor's name or post it here--I'm curious to see if I know them.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I would imagine it to closely resemble a medeterrainan diet which was the area the bible is in....
  • OomarianneoO
    OomarianneoO Posts: 689 Member
    Options

Nu-uh. Is that true? I had never heard that before. Well, never thought about it either. Why is that? I'm sure there were some animals around them. Wasn't there?