What kind of scale to get??

Options
Hi guys,
I need a new scale!! Just something that works, it doesn't have to be fancy, I just want it to work! Any thoughts???

Replies

• chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    i know what you mean. a lot of them you can step on and off several times in the same few minutes and get a different readout every time.

the one i have now is the cheapest one at shopko and works better than the last one is spent much more for.... it matches what my doc and the gym say....

weight watchers scales are the worst. also there was one... it was two panes of glass with steel rods holding them apart... that thing was useless.

sorry i dont know the brand name but thats what it looked like. it never worked right and didnt really do all it said either. it was expensive too.

this cheapo one i got for 15 dollars at shopko has been my best one so far.
  • kxbrown27
    kxbrown27 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    The Eatsmart Precision digital is $30 and very accurate.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I had a glass Taylor scale (the 2nd cheapest one from Target or Walmart, can't remember) for the longest time. Worked great, until one of the plastic feet things (sensors?) broke off (my fault--dropped it moving it to a different location).

I liked that one alot, but my new one I got from Amazon. The "EatSmart" precision digital (or something like that--let me get a link):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KXZ808/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've had this one for more than a month now. It seems very sturdy, and the display is HUGE and backlit. Oh, it "seems" to weigh me about 1lb heavier than the old one (from what I can tell). But, that is to be expected--no two scales will ever be equal. I do find it super accurate, in that it says the same exact weight if you step on it several times in a row. That's what counts most!
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    i know what you mean. a lot of them you can step on and off several times in the same few minutes and get a different readout every time.

the one i have now is the cheapest one at shopko and works better than the last one is spent much more for.... it matches what my doc and the gym say....

weight watchers scales are the worst. also there was one... it was two panes of glass with steel rods holding them apart... that thing was useless.

sorry i dont know the brand name but thats what it looked like. it never worked right and didnt really do all it said either. it was expensive too.

this cheapo one i got for 15 dollars at shopko has been my best one so far.

Good thing I never bought a Weight Watchers scale then!
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I have a Taylor scale. It's a digital scale that goes from in .5 increments. So if you weigh 120.2, it will probably either say 120 or 120.5. I have had it for 8 years, so probably time to get a new one at some point. However, it's worked great these years. Never had problems with it. Recently was worried it was broken because it was telling me I was weighing the same every time I stepped on it ( I only weigh in like once every two weeks, on the same day at the same time naked and before breakfast ). It just seemed odd that i would actually maintain... especially after vacation. Anyway, I weighed myself with a weight and it went up properly so it isn't broken yet.
  • dogluvr_2014
    dogluvr_2014 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I got mine at Walmart for about $20. It's digital and seems very accurate to the ounce. I think it goes up to 350 or maybe even 400. Thank you Jesus that my numbers are heading lower so I don't need to worry about that anymore. :smile:
  • jeanbe21
    Options
    I'm researching scales now as my cheapie Taylor died a week ago. When I started using myfitnesspal I needed a starting weight so I used the nurse's scale at the school I work at. It's the kind you use at a doctor visit. Put the weights on zero-zero and it was balanced.

Before I buy a new scale I may see how it works weighing in once a week at school. Thanks all for the links to scales and I look forward to being part of this community.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    we've had that one since 2009, and it's still working well. very accurate except you have to calibrate it if you move it, which you do by stepping on it and waiting till it turns off, then you're good to go. i did run into some trouble when we put in extra powerful batteries, but with regular batteries, it works great.
    The "EatSmart" precision digital (or something like that--let me get a link):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KXZ808/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've had this one for more than a month now. It seems very sturdy, and the display is HUGE and backlit. Oh, it "seems" to weigh me about 1lb heavier than the old one (from what I can tell). But, that is to be expected--no two scales will ever be equal. I do find it super accurate, in that it says the same exact weight if you step on it several times in a row. That's what counts most!
  • love8383
    love8383 Posts: 169
    Options
    i have a digital weight watchers scale from target .. i've had it a few years and it works great
    http://www.target.com/p/weight-watchers-glass-scale-red/-/A-13438765
    (i always weigh myself a couple of times to be sure, and it's always the same number..never had a problem with accuracy)
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Another vote for the EatSmart! I've had mine since 2011 and it's still great! Original batteries too!

I also have their food scale.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    My pretty cheapo Thinner (probably from Bed, Bath, and Beyond) scale measures in .2 increments and I've been using it for at least 8 years. It doesn't really matter to me how accurate it is as long as it is consistent with itself. . in other words, when I was in the losing weight stage, I just wanted to see the number go down over time. It still has the original batteries.

From what I understand, the only really accurate scales are the big balance ones you see at the doctor's office. Most of the digital bathroom scales are basically "good enough."
  • ponyvillalobos
    ponyvillalobos Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    thanks, everybody!! the scale i had weighed every human at 141 no matter the size! time for a new one!
  • yc4king
    yc4king Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I used a smart weigh for a long time, just needed something digital that worked and was cheap. It did the trick and was very consistent.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00GTXW9A6/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Recently I decided that I wanted to "spoil" myself because my new lifestyle has been working out great and paying off a lot in the weight loss department, so I bought myself a Withings Smart Body Analyzer. It's $150 which is admittedly outrageous for a scale, but it syncs to MFP and runkeeper automatically, tells me my resting heart rate, and a body fat percentage which may not be accurate but at least it shows the trend.

http://www.amazon.com/Withings-WS-50-Smart-Analyzer-Black/dp/B00BKRQ4E8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406941429&sr=8-1&keywords=withings+smart+body+analyzer

The 2 scales report within .25lbs of each other.
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I had a glass Taylor scale (the 2nd cheapest one from Target or Walmart, can't remember) for the longest time. Worked great, until one of the plastic feet things (sensors?) broke off (my fault--dropped it moving it to a different location).

I liked that one alot, but my new one I got from Amazon. The "EatSmart" precision digital (or something like that--let me get a link):

Williams;

Agree 100% with you and the other EatSmart Fans. To my mind there is absolutely no reason to spend a penny more.

Will take exception though with some of your final paragraph.

The "no two scales will ever be equal..." thing may sound logical, in fact many scales will be equal, IF they are properly calibrated and accuracy has been determined.

That so many believe that "no two scales...." is much more likely to be the result of the fact that one's body weight fluctuates constantly throughout the day. Drink a couple glasses of water, or go potty, whatever you did weighs something and if your scale is capable of measuring tenths of a pound as most digitals do these days, it will show.

So you weigh at home then drive to the Docs office and it's different....might be the scale but might be your weight. (Not to mention if at home you were nude and fully dressed at the doc's).

As far as accuracy, this statement is simply incorrect:
    " I do find it super accurate, in that it says the same exact weight if you step on it several times in a row. That's what counts most!"

Many digital scales have circuitry built in that actually "saves" the previous reading in memory for some number of seconds/minutes and if you jump right back it will automagically give you the same reading as it did the first time.

It's highly probable that they did this precisely because so many people "believed" - "That's what counts most!"

I don't know for sure if the EatSmart contains the circuitry or not.

The only way to check the accuracy for sure is with a calibrated "test weight" which is known to weigh *exactly* "X" pounds (or ounces, kilos, whatever). Iron bars ground to precise weight, or a container of water known to contain an exact quantity are a couple examples.

They're common in research labs and other venues where one must absolutely, positively know that their scales are exact but for us "little people", commoners - overkill.
  • spunkychelsea
    spunkychelsea Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I have this one and like it:

http://www.amazon.com/BalanceFrom-Accuracy-Bathroom-Backlight-Technology/dp/B00A8SLH8I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1406946269&sr=8-3&keywords=scale

It seems to be fairly accurate. $25 and has a ton of great reviews on Amazon.
  • cturner002
    Options
    I looked at the Eatsmart model, but I just preferred this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CXAD7GO/. Same price as the Eatsmart, it just fits in the corner of my bathroom better. All you want is something accurate.