Tried intermittent fasting?

Options
txcraftr
txcraftr Posts: 133 Member
From what I know about it you eat your meals in an 8-hour segment and then fast for 16 hours. It is supposed to burn the glycogen out of your muscles and start burning fat after that. They suggested eating between the hours of 11 a.m. and 7 p.m. There are other ways to do it too. Fast 2 days a week or every other day. Anyone tried this?

Replies

• Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    I often do one meal a day. Not always, but often. I also do 5:2. If I really overdo on a feed day, I'll make it alternate day fasting, which means that week I may fast 3 or 4 days.

It seems to help me control my appetite a little better throughout the week and give me better moods and energy, too. I notice if I go several days without a fast day, I tend to get grumpy and tired and overly hungry.

I have no clue why it works. I could make guesses, but hell with it. It works. As long as I don't use it as an excuse to pig out on junk food on feed days. When I first tried it, that is what I did every feed day and I felt horrible and gained weight some weeks and at best maintained other weeks. I definitely recommend continuing to count calories and to make the healthiest possible food choices if you try any form of it.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I do IF 5:2 and I like it quite a bit. Sometimes the fast days get tough, but it's worth it when I get to eat more on nonfasting days.
  • Groovyca2022
    Groovyca2022 Posts: 21,378 Member
    Options
    Started on July 21st...first week down 6.9 lbs. (weigh in last Monday)
  • stefboston83
    stefboston83 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have. I'm a nurse and my hours are nuts so... I would start fast at 8P and not eat till 11A-1P the next day depending on how much I was running around, sometimes later. I feel more focused and it feels like I am burning the wobbly belly. I like it. It doesn't put pressure on me to plan meals which I am terrible at doing. Anyway with that and increased fiber I was down three lbs in the first week.
  • rebeccaisafish
    rebeccaisafish Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I just finished my first week of 5:2 so it's too early to really say much. It all went fine though and I feel like I can't eat as much as I used to already. Gave it a try after reading "the fast diet" which is probably a good place to start if you're interested.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I have done a combination of 5:2; 4:3; ADF, 16:8; 20:4, 22:2 and just calorie counting for the last 9 months with great success. I do not have much to lose and am now close to goal weight, so I was surprised to lose 6 kg in the first 8 weeks.
    Highly recommended!
    Stef.
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher and my lunch hour is 11:30, so I eat between 11:30 and 7:30. I don't do it during the summer. I like it because it helps me control my calorie intake. I always eat more in the evening, so it is perfect for me.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I lost my weight on IF, particularly OMAD...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1241325-how-to-do-one-meal-a-day-the-basics

There are different variations. Even now that I am maintaining, I alternate in several days of the week as one-mealers and eat whatever else I want when I want and I find I maintain weight well.

It works. There is no doubt about it (170+ lbs don't lie!) :wink:
  • highcarbveganzombie
    highcarbveganzombie Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am doing IF, lost 6 pounds so far! I am doing an 16 hour fast with an 8 hour eating window (eat from 12pm to 8pm) but will soon change this to an 18 hour fast with a 6 hour window. It feels fantastic! I no longer have any cravings and I have more energy. I used to fall asleep every single day around 1pm and now I don't, wide awake. :)

I am so happy I found IF, I will be doing it for the rest of my life. No doubt!