Vegan Gluten-free Protein?

bailoo
bailoo Posts: 17 Member
I cannot eat meat or eggs so I am drinking whey protein. However, the vegan folks have convinced me to give up milk. So whey is ruled out in the near future :(

Seitan contains gluten :(

Where will I get proteeeeeen !???

Replies

• bohemian124
    bohemian124 Posts: 152 Member
    Beans. Brown rice. Vegan protein powder (I like PlantFusion Unflavored). Lots of options, just google vegan protein.
  • shands1
    shands1 Posts: 9 Member
    soy/hemp protein powders. grains, nuts, and legumes contain a lot more protein than people notice.
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Soy, pea. I am not gluten free but I just switched to a rice protein and it has a pretty good amino acid profile and stacks up pretty well against whey

http://www.nutritionj.com/content/12/1/86

unfortunately it isn't gluten free

^ I stand corrected the brand i use is gluten free

http://www.red8.co.nz/products/protein-plus-unflavoured/rice-protein-unflavoured/

Texture is horrible but still drinkable
  • Tuliper1
    Tuliper1 Posts: 59 Member
    I use RawFusion protein powder. It's made from brown rice protein isolate, pea protein, and artichoke protein (who knew?). Also has BCAAs. Price is very comparable to whey and soy protein powders-- I order from bodybuilding.com. Less expensive than Amazon, and my local health food stores don't carry it. It comes in chocolate, vanilla, chocolate peanut butter, and maybe one or two other flavors. I like it a lot.
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    I use RawFusion protein powder. It's made from brown rice protein isolate, pea protein, and artichoke protein (who knew?). Also has BCAAs. Price is very comparable to whey and soy protein powders-- I order from bodybuilding.com. Less expensive than Amazon, and my local health food stores don't carry it. It comes in chocolate, vanilla, chocolate peanut butter, and maybe one or two other flavors. I like it a lot.
    **** that looks awesome. Plus I can get it in NZ and it isn't too expensive. Sweet that will be my next purchase.
  • nam985
    nam985 Posts: 140 Member
    I am allergic to bovine casein protein and can only handle small amounts of dairy before breaking out in hives, and I'm a bit wary of cross-contamination with the concentrated whey protein powders so I stick to non-dairy varieties. Right now I have the Kaizen Naturals Vegan protein in vanilla, which is dairy, soy and gluten-free. The taste isn't too bad, the texture is a wee bit gritty and it has a tendency to give my smoothies a greenish tinge, but overall I don't mind it.

http://www.kaizennaturals.com/products/natural-whey/natural-whey_vegan.html
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    I use this list: http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-veg-shopping-list.pdf

I do nutiva 15 gram hemp protein powder + full fat coconut milk (but you can use whatever kind you like) + banana + raw cacao powder for breakfast, 25 grams of protein.

For lunch I usually do a big salad (huge) and kale has about 8 grams if you have multiple cups of it. I throw in some veggies, cashews, and then use an avocado dressing (half avocado + bit of full fat coconut milk + cayenne pepper + red hot chili pepper or flakes + sea salt + pepper + garlic clove or two (pressed.) Takes like two minutes to make and it even makes nasty kale taste good. LOL!! If you don't like kale, spinach or baby leaf mix is good too. (13 ish grams protein for the whole salad.)

Today I made lunch out of whatever was left (grocery day but I don't feel like going yet) and did 2 bok choy + shredded cabbage + onion + red kidney beans + cashews in 1 tbsp of coconut oil, 1 tsp curry powder, 1 tsp garam masala, not bad at all and 13 protein. (It's good with cauliflower like Indian Aloo Gobi but I was out.)

Sweet potato with black beans and avocado?
  • Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238

Cool! Thank you ;-)

I use hemp, nuts, beans, sheep milk's feta, broccoli, kale. There's some good recipes here, that you may find interesting. Especially the part about protein.

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/vegetarian-diet-athletes/
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Garbanzo beans are the best things ever. You can cook them up and eat them as-is, you can put them in an oven and have crunchy snacks with whatever your heart desires on them (plus salt of course) you can make hummus, you can make hummus veggie burgers. I'm sure there are other things you can make too, I just haven't found them all yet.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Beans
    Nuts
    Edamame
    Dried edamame
    Falafel made with no dairy (I use ground flax meal to bind it together)