Weight Gain but Waist the Same?

Options
So I decided to move to maintenance in May but because I wanted I stop counting and stressing I decided to try and get sufficient protein and just try to eat a sustainable diet that I enjoyed (and was healthy with portions, etc...) and maintain the weight that came on. I also decided to do intense strength training. Anyway, I have essentially added 2 protein shakes on lifting days, and just slightly larger dinners to my meal plan. Since about June, I seem to have gained some pounds (which is fine cause I was 136lbs and a 19 year old male); however, I have been wearing the same size pants and clothes and they don't feel different or tight at all. I do see some definition in my abs. From what I understand I should be gaining some fat with any muscle gains, but I am not seeing any real differences besides ab definition and strength gains in the gym. Is there an explanation as to why I have gained as much as 4-8lbs but don't see changes in clothing? Obviously I'm happy with this because I actually don't want to grow out of my new clothes, but just curious what's going on here.

Replies

• DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    DaughterOfTheMostHighKing Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    you may want to get a physical...
  • dpr73
    dpr73 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    you may want to get a physical...

Why?
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    noob gains.

Genetics (disposition of fat). Just because you gain fat doesn't mean it goes straight to the gut.

Keep doing what you are doing :smile:
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    noob gains.

Genetics (disposition of fat). Just because you gain fat doesn't mean it goes straight to the gut.

Keep doing what you are doing :smile:

This ^ and because you are a teenage male , you have a lot of growing to do. I know of a guy who had a growth spurt at 29 lol.
  • alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I agree, males still grow (not much) until they are in their early twenties. Also, depending on what type of exercise routine you have or lifestyle you might be burning fat. I do not believe that everyone gains fat while bulking, I've heard from plenty of people who have gained muscle eating at a small deficit.

Either way, good for you :drinker:
  • Jimsmith109
    Jimsmith109 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Just remember muscle weighs more than fat just because you gain weight doesn't mean it's fat keep up the good work
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Just remember muscle weighs more than fat just because you gain weight doesn't mean it's fat keep up the good work
    Muscle is denser so more if it takes up less space, but a pound of fat and a pound of muscle both weigh a pound, it doesn't weigh more.
  • JoJoVan96
    JoJoVan96 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I agree, males still grow (not much) until they are in their early twenties. Also, depending on what type of exercise routine you have or lifestyle you might be burning fat. I do not believe that everyone gains fat while bulking, I've heard from plenty of people who have gained muscle eating at a small deficit.

Either way, good for you :drinker:

Hubby will be 43 next month, and he's STILL having growth spurts!! :huh: