Previously on 1300 cal, and found out I'm pregnant

Options
segastler
segastler Posts: 207 Member
1300 calories was pretty sufficient to keep me fueled up. I am most certainly not going to eat like a mad man, like I've seen so many people do, but I will also not deprive myself. I am thinking 1800 calories a day on average would be a good goal. I'm thinking 1500 would be my maintaining intake.

Any input?

Replies

• dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    1300 calories was pretty sufficient to keep me fueled up. I am most certainly not going to eat like a mad man, like I've seen so many people do, but I will also not deprive myself. I am thinking 1800 calories a day on average would be a good goal. I'm thinking 1500 would be my maintaining intake.

Any input?

My understanding is that it depends upon your weight when you get pregnant, but I would listen to your body and your doctor. Sounds like you're being pretty sensible to me.

Congratulations!
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Your OB GYN should be able to tell you how much to eat to keep you and your baby healthy. And don't forget the prenatal vitamins!
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Your OB GYN should be able to tell you how much to eat to keep you and your baby healthy. And don't forget the prenatal vitamins!

Yes I agree.

But congrats :flowerforyou:
  • AlyssamR6712
    AlyssamR6712 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    You should google Kelsey Byers she is a fitness model and just documented her whole pregancy and her food and everything! I'm not a doc or nutritionist but i heard that an extra 300-500 cals is sufficient enough for you and the baby :) goodluck! and congrats! i hope you stick with your goals!
  • dirty_diana
    dirty_diana Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your pregnancy!

In the first trimester, you don't need any additional calories beyond your maintenance level. In the second trimester, you need to add 300-350 calories per day and in the third trimester about 450 extra calories per day.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    You're 27, unless you're completely sedentary, your maintenance is probably way higher than 1500 calories. If you eat 1800 you will probably still lose weight. Please talk to your doctor... Starving yourself is one thing, starving your baby is another.
  • segastler
    Options
    You're 27, unless you're completely sedentary, your maintenance is probably way higher than 1500 calories. If you eat 1800 you will probably still lose weight. Please talk to your doctor... Starving yourself is one thing, starving your baby is another.

I far from starve myself. Thats actually quite hilarious. I have a desk job and don't move much from 8-5. I am sedentary. And I had an extremely hard time losing weight at 1300 calories. Obvioulsy I am going to talk to my doctor. Please keep your negative attitude off my post. Thanks.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Ok well as I said, unless you're completely sedentary, it's not enough, but it seems you are, so I don't see the problem. I just tend to assume that people exercise as well, my bad. Good luck with your pregnancy!
  • segastler
    Options
    Ok well as I said, unless you're completely sedentary, it's not enough, but it seems you are, so I don't see the problem. I just tend to assume that people exercise as well, my bad. Good luck with your pregnancy!

So yes, Thanks for the imput.
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options

I far from starve myself. Thats actually quite hilarious. I have a desk job and don't move much from 8-5. I am sedentary. And I had an extremely hard time losing weight at 1300 calories. Obvioulsy I am going to talk to my doctor. Please keep your negative attitude off my post. Thanks.
    Showing empathy for your unborn child is not negative. Me asking you if you have a dictionary to look up the meaning of words is "negative attitude". :huh:
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    OP i would talk to your dr about how much you should be taking in to keep you and the baby nourished.

that said....congrats!!
    pregnantbreakdancing.gif
  • shrinkingshreya
    shrinkingshreya Posts: 118 Member
    Options

First of all she didn't say her height and weight so there is no way that you could know what her maintenance is. You are throwing out number's without knowing the complete information-- so please just don't.
    I am 27 and my maintenance at 166 pounds is 1500 calories at 5'0, she didn't say anything about starving herself

Anyways, I found this article to be very helpful and it made sense when I researched the subject. Maybe go over this with your Dr. to see if this is accurate information that could work for you.

http://www.webmd.com/baby/guide/healthy-weight-gain

Oh, ya, CONGRAT'S! :flowerforyou:
  • segastler
    Options

Showing empathy for your unborn child is not negative. Me asking you if you have a dictionary to look up the meaning of words is "negative attitude". :huh:

Here is a list of words that describe negative attitudes:

aggression, anger, betrayal, bigotry, blame, cowardice, critical, cynical, depression, dishonesty, envy, greed, guarded, hatred, indifference, intolerance, irresponsibility, jealousy, pessimism, prejudice, pride, resentment, revenge, sadness, selfishness, skeptical, suspicious, thoughtlessness, unemotional, and untrusting.
  • rebeccaisafish
    rebeccaisafish Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I would stay just stop counting calories! I mean of course listen to your doctor over any advice you get here, but I wouldn't bother with counting calories. Listen to your body. If you're hungry/tired (although tiredness is a hard thing to gauge while pregnant, as in the first trimester you will likely be exhausted anyway) or just not feeling right then you know you need to eat more. If you're feeling on top of your game then you'll know you're doing ok.

I lost over 10kgs when I was pregnant because I had such horrible morning sickness for the first 20 weeks, and then every second thing I ate gave me terrible heart burn for the rest of the pregnancy. I basically lived off oranges and mandarins the entire pregnancy, and the occaisonal chocolate milk. Not particularly healthy, but cleary I was needing something in the oranges! Had a healthy, normal sized baby, although she was a few weeks early. So while I defintiely wouldn't recommend losing weight while pregnant like I unfortunately did, I definitely recommend just listening to your body!
  • lookpregbutnot
    lookpregbutnot Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, a pregnant mom only needs about 300-350 calories a day. I had gestational diabetes with my 4 and I had a desk job like you and they put my on 1800 calorie diabetes diet and I ended up losing the 25 pounds I gained up to 28 weeks. And i'm 5'4". Seems like your on on target.

Congrats on your pregnancy!!! How exciting!!!
  • mickiebabs
    mickiebabs Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    babyfit.sparkpeople would probably be a good site to check out. A lot like mfp only geared towards pregnant and nursing moms.

I'm 5'10" and was 229 when I got pregnant with #3. When I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes I was put on an 1800 calorie a day diet and restricted carbs. I'd been on a 1200 calorie a day diet when I first got pregnant, had dropped 30 pounds and BAM hello baby after 3 years of fertility treatments. Anyways, my midwife said that there wasn't a lot of concern that early but at a minimum she wanted me eating at 1500 calories during the first trimester. She preferred that I eat more but a 1500 minimum.

Good luck to you and congrats on the pregnancy!!
  • Francl27
    Options

First of all she didn't say her height and weight so there is no way that you could know what her maintenance is. You are throwing out number's without knowing the complete information-- so please just don't.
    I am 27 and my maintenance at 166 pounds is 1500 calories at 5'0, she didn't say anything about starving herself

Anyways, I found this article to be very helpful and it made sense when I researched the subject. Maybe go over this with your Dr. to see if this is accurate information that could work for you.

Just to be fair, I entered your stats and your maintenance should be 1830 calories as sedentary. So you must be a special snowflake (assuming you got it tested)... it doesn't mean OP is.
  • shrinkingshreya
    shrinkingshreya Posts: 118 Member
    Options

Just to be fair, I entered your stats and your maintenance should be 1830 calories as sedentary. So you must be a special snowflake (assuming you got it tested)... it doesn't mean OP is.

What is a special snowflake? I did get my TDEE tested actually at a clinic-- I know what I'm talking about or I would not have posted it. Just because you Google a calculator and plug in some numbers does not mean your right.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2....28 y/o... 165#... sit at a desk all day and my maintenance is about 1800 if I don't work out. Hubby and I are TTC and I'm planning on trying to keep weight gain to about 15-20# since I'm already about 30# overweight. Since you're here I would assume you're probably not too good at keeping all this stuff under control without the help of a diary... so I would say it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to keep logging just to stay on track. Congrats and good luck!