How do I lose weight?

Options
OK so do I just eat 3260 calories a day and lose weight? I can eat whatever I want as long as I don't go over that number? I don't have to eat healthy?

Replies

• fattypatty10001
    Options
    WILL SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME??
  • fattypatty10001
    Options
    I thought people were on here for help??? I NEED help! I DON'T KNOW HOW TO LOSE WEIGHT!!! I am bed ridden and I need someone to help me PLEASE!!!!!
  • fattypatty10001
    Options
    Thanks for making me cry JERK!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    OK so do I just eat 3260 calories a day and lose weight? I can eat whatever I want as long as I don't go over that number? I don't have to eat healthy?

First of all, please calm down and have some patience. There is no need to shout.

No, you can't eat 3,000 calories plus and lose weight if that is over your total daily energy expenditure. MFP can help you figure your calorie goal according to how many pounds per week you want to lose, and then you and then you can eat whatever you want while staying within those calorie goals.

if you exercise eat back a portion of your exercise calories because MFP immediately figures in your calorie deficit.

Weigh your food, log everything you eat, and ensure that you are choosing correct entires from the data base, and you will lose weight (while staying in your calorie goal).
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    If that is the amount of calories that MFP gave you when you entered your information, then yes. When you have a lot to lose, you can get away with eating what you want, long as you stay under your calories. As you progress, you will start to notice that certain foods are more filling, and more "worth" the calories you are consuming, so what you decide to intake may change. I used to LOVE butter, still do, but use it much less now knowing how many calories are in it...

Good luck OP, you can do this!
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Troll? You don't have a profile filled out either ***hole! I thought people were on here for help??? I NEED help! I DON'T KNOW HOW TO LOSE WEIGHT!!! I am bed ridden and I need someone to help me PLEASE!!!!!
    Patty, if you are bed ridden, that certainly does raise other issues. Have you spoken to your doctor?
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Eat at a caloric deficit.
  • fattypatty10001
    Options
    MFP said I can eat 3260 a day. I can't exercise because I can't get out of bed. I can only eat what my neighbor brings me & she doesn't weigh anything. The food is usually lasagna and casseroles and fast food. I don't know how to log food like that.
  • wheird
    Options
    MFP said I can eat 3260 a day. I can't exercise because I can't get out of bed. I can only eat what my neighbor brings me & she doesn't weigh anything. The food is usually lasagna and casseroles and fast food. I don't know how to log food like that.

Well if you truly need to lose over 400lbs, you could probably eat more than that and still lose weight.

In the interim, until you can prepare your own food, just start cutting down on the amount that you normally eat. Half should suffice.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Ah, gotcha. My first thought is if you like your neighbor's food, cut the portions in half. However, perhaps you can ask her for assistance with your diet and logging, etc.? Tell her you are tying to lose weight, show her MFP, and see how she can help you.

Is there somebody else in your home who can help you?

Shoot, I'd personally help you if I could.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Patty, you really need to talk to a doctor. And maybe get the Health Department to help you or adult protective services. Reach out to another neighbor if this one won't help you track.

However, if it helps: The internet will tell you how many calories are in things. For instance, a stouffer's family-size lasagne has about 1300 calories in it.
  • fattypatty10001
    Options
    I live in an apartment building, but I do live alone. I only have one neighbor that visits me. She is a sweet lady. She helps me with everything that I need. I don't know what I'd do if she moved or if anything ever happened to her. I know it's time for me to do something about my weight. All I do all day long is eat and watch TV. This is no life for anyone.
  • wheird
    Options
    I live in an apartment building, but I do live alone. I only have one neighbor that visits me. She is a sweet lady. She helps me with everything that I need. I don't know what I'd do if she moved or if anything ever happened to her. I know it's time for me to do something about my weight. All I do all day long is eat and watch TV. This is no life for anyone.

If you can, have someone get you some resistance bands. You can do some exercises with those while sitting. Once you have lost enough, start walking short distances.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Patty, I am throwing a golden pot of encouragement your way. You can do this, You've already made the first small change, which is to make a decision that you need to lose weight. You CAN do this.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    troll?
    Ya know, you only have 11 posts....does that make you a troll? :wink:
  • fattypatty10001
    Options
    Thanks for all your kind words and advice. I will try your suggestions.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

First of all, please calm down and have some patience. There is no need to shout.

No, you can't eat 3,000 calories plus and lose weight if that is over your total daily energy expenditure. MFP can help you figure your calorie goal according to how many pounds per week you want to lose, and then you and then you can eat whatever you want while staying within those calorie goals.

if you exercise eat back a portion of your exercise calories because MFP immediately figures in your calorie deficit.

Weigh your food, log everything you eat, and ensure that you are choosing correct entires from the data base, and you will lose weight (while staying in your calorie goal).

She's over 400lbs. 3000 cals would still be within her dietary goal to lose weight. Trying to cut down from her maintenance too fast could leave her with certain nutritional deficiencies.

OP, if MFP gave you that goal, stick with it for at least 4-6 weeks and adjust after that if needed.

Actually, I would see if you could work with your doctor and have them monitor you or/and if there is a program you might be able to participate they could recommend.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Even just singing and clapping your hands along to music will burn calories. But the most important thing is to get control of your calorie intake. If you need to lose 400 lbs., I guess that puts you at at least 550 lbs? That means you would have to eat upwards of 4500 calories per day to maintain your weight. Anything less than this, and you'll lose. I'd personally say shoot for 2500. But I know it'll be hard for you to figure what that is. Basically, eat half of what you've been eating.

If it helps, since you might find it hard to track calories without your neighbor's help, here's some things that will help decrease the total number of calories you consume.

-Don't drink any calories. No soda, no alcohol, no juice, maybe some milk if you like
    -Don't eat anything with High Fructose Corn Syrup. See if you can look at the labels of things. It'll be in the ingredients. Just don't eat anything with it. It's in things you wouldn't expect, like bread and salad dressings
    -Set a clock when you eat. And don't eat FAST of course, but set a clock for 10 minutes or something. And stop after 10 minutes have expired.
    -for every bite of food you eat, put down the food or fork, then drink a gulp of water. Count to 10. Then take another bite.

These are just a few things to get you on the right path until you can see a doctor and nutrtitionist. I'm sure they'll put you on a special diet designed just for you. We all want you to succeed. I don't know where you live, but there are compassionate people who would love to help you. Please reach out to a church or charity of some kind.
  • wheird
    Options

She's over 400lbs. 3000 cals would still be within her dietary goal to lose weight. Trying to cut down from her maintenance too fast could leave her with certain nutritional deficiencies.

OP, if MFP gave you that goal, stick with it for at least 4-6 weeks and adjust after that if needed.

Actually, I would see if you could work with your doctor and have them monitor you or/and if there is a program you might be able to participate they could recommend.

Yeah. I'm thinking Optifast would be the best bet to go here.