Eating = wanting to sleep

Options
I love food but dread eating. Within 20-40 min. of eating my body goes into "sleep mode". Right now I'm doing all I can to stay awake. I had 7hrs 45min of sleep last night, and this morning I've had 1 cup of coffee and a bowl of Special K fruit and yogurt.
Does anyone else have this problem? Anyone have any idea what could be causing this? I've been tested for diabetes yearly for over 10 years and it always comes back negative.

Replies

• Peridotite
    Options
    I too have recently developed this problem, but it seems to be really bad after lunch. I sleep fairly well during the night and feel fine until after I eat lunch, then I'm out of it for a couple of hours because I am soooooo sleepy. Let me know if you get an answer!
  • Wetikaba
    Wetikaba Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have had exactly the same problem. I know it sounds weird but acupuncture helped me a lot with that. I went there 3 times and followed some dietary advice that the acupuncturist gave me and it worked!
  • christydufrene78
    Options
    I had that issue but it was that my blood sugar would be really low before I would eat then after me eating I would have a high peak in my blood sugar. Sometimes you might not have high blood sugar but low. So after eating your blood sugar rushes or peaks high! Can cause the sleepy speals! Make sure your eating right portions and healthy snacks to keep a "normal" blood sugar.
  • pdub1985
    Options
    Lisa,

Try taking a Food Enzym with your meals. You are getting tired because your body is working to digest the food, which is sapping energy! Food Enzym's will help with the natural digestion of foods and help you to not get the sleepies after a meal. It is especially difficult for most adults to digest milk, try switching to a soy milk that is more friendly to our body.

You can pick up food enzyms from any natural health food store. I personally have taken them for years - and they're only about $8 for a months worth of pills. Good Luck, I hope this helps!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I would definitely make sure your meals are not too carb overloaded, to make your sugar drop too quickly. Always eat protein with a carb, and make sure you are only eating nonprocessed, healthy carbs. i.e. fruit, vegetables, whole grains.
  • michelehoyt
    Options
    My husband has this problem as well. Ask your doctor about sleep apnea, (or your spouse may have noticed too). Sleep apnea can cause undo tiredness in the day even when you slept the whole night. I am no expert, but one difference between my husband's sleep and mine is that he NEVER remembers dreaming, I normally do. (not the details, just that I dreamed) On days when I am especially tired, I too have no memory of dreaming. Also he snores excessively and will have these very short periods of time when his breathing stops, I do not notice the stopping, but do notice the quick snorts/inhales when he restarts.

We are in a fitness challenge at our gym that is telling us to put food (healthy balanced) in our mouths every 2.5-3 hours. Our coach says that will regulate sugar spikes in our blood...(sugar high then a crash). She also says that going more than 4 hours without food causes us to get loopy. She is a huge fitness buff, owns the local gym and competes in fitness shows all the time.

Certain foods are more likely to spike your blood sugar, there is a website that will give you information on which foods these are, it gives a glycemic index. Higher numbers will cause higher sugar spikes leading to crashes...the site is http://nutritiondata.self.com/ and is very helpful in determining both glycemic loads and inflammation factors of the foods you eat.

Then try limiting foods with high glycemic loads and eat 5-6 mini meals a day. Some people find this hard to do, what I do is plan my meals, but divide them up... for example, I may eat the cereal at breakfast, wait a couple hours and have my fruit and yogurt. Eat my sandwich at lunch, then my salad in the mid afternoon. Also whenever I find myself feeling suddenly too tired, I force myself to get physically busy for 20-30 min...ie, take a walk, play with the dog, go to the gym, or do a major housecleaning chore, I tell myself, I can take a nap as soon as I am done, generally this helps me to become refocused and I can skip the nap.

I suffered insomnia for over 5 years where I could not sleep longer than an hour in a 24 hour period...then I went total turn around and for a year could not stay awake between about 2pm and 5pm.... now I sleep a solid 6 hours a night...perhaps not enough, but way better than before, and seldom suffer fatigue in the daytime.

But for sure talk to your doctor about sleep apnea, as it is dangerous and regardless of diet, if it is a problem must be fixed. I am no expert, but have been studying this healthy eating thing for over 10 years and have recently gotten involved in the gym and fitness challenge to get more focused on a healthier lifestyle. I have dealt with my husbands sleep apnea, which has led to serious narcolepsy...the man falls asleep if he sits for 5 min--he can barely even drive anywhere anymore, he will not have deal with the problem at all. I am hoping that with this newer healthy lifestyle, I will be able to convince him to take care of this as well. I hope this helps a little...Like I said, I am no expert, but I think most likely you are having blood sugar spikes and crashes...

Good luck...
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I think I've figured out that this happens to me mostly when I'm hungry and then eat. That is, your blood sugar is running low then it gets overloaded. I think this is a natural physilogical state for most people as your body has been starved so when you eat it sends all its rescources to digest the food rendering your energy levels low for a while, hence why you feel sleepy. If I eat at more regularly spaced out intervals, then I'm not affected. You could try eating 5 or 6 meals/snacks per day, ie make sure you eat something every 2 or 3 hours, even if its just an apple. Apples are really good for snacks and are low GI too :) To make it even lower GI, eat with a bit of cheese or almonds :)

The lady that suggested eating protein with your natural carbs is right. Try switching from cereal and in the morning, which is laden with sugar, to a high fibre bread with cheese or eggs on toast etc. You'll find your sugar levels aren't as spiked and you will feel fuller for longer ;)

I've been tested for diabetes too and am clear. But I think some of us are more sensitive to sugar spikes than others. I have PCOS which is supposed to render you insulin resistant, so maybe that has something to do with it. Dunno.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • StaceyJ75
    Options
    This happens to me if I eat too many carbs. Last night we had pasta for dinner (whole wheat pasta even) and afterwards I was sooooo sleepy. So hubby encouraged me to jump on my exercise bike for a bit, that helped a lot.
  • lisaisonamission
    Options
    Thanks Everyone for all the info! Sorry I'm just now responding but due to a death in the family I've been away from the computer and my diet. I hope that I can pull myself together and get back on track in the next few days.
    I am gonna have to really work on eating more often. I've always been told not to eat unless you're hungry. So there are times I can go 6-10 hours without eating.....I just dont feel hungry so I dont eat. Guess I've been given the wrong advice.
  • Wetikaba
    Wetikaba Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that. Take care of yourself!
  • Myndmelt
    Myndmelt Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yes I have this problem. I keep thinking, this cant be good. But maybe it does have something to do with too many carbs. I will have to pay more attention to that next time it happens. Also I do have sleep apnea though and am currently not being treated for it.