workout clothes for larger sizes?

Options
This is a question for the larger people out there--where do you get comfortable workout clothes that fit?? My impression based on what I can find in sporting goods stores and catalogs is that until I'm down to a size 16 (chest 38) AT MOST, I shouldn't bother to exercise. I'm a 20/22, and I'm not expecting super cute, but I'd like not to look like a freak at the gym.

Also if there are any larger women martial artists out there--is there any hope of a gi sized for a short, fat aspiring martial artist? I hope the fat will change, although there's no hope for the short, but I'm always going to be busty, and the size/shape of martial arts gear designed for tall, fit men is very discouraging.

Please help!

Holly

Replies

• clahut
    clahut Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Hi,

You don't say where you are from, but if in the UK, try Marks & Spencer. That's where I got mine as have the same issue.

C
  • YMTaylor
    YMTaylor Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Hi, I totally feel your pain. I was in the same boat when I started out. The good news is that Wal-Mart now carries basic workout clothes, strechy pants and shirts up to size 5 or 6X in the women's section. They aren't too expensive either, I think under $15/piece. I hope that helps and good luck on your journey! :)
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    if your in the uk , forget marks and spencers, ( no offence but if your going to be losing weight , there expensive),use Mataln, evans , yours tesco, asda
  • chefliesha
    Options
    Walmart, Target, are the places I have found those clothes. I am the same size as you and they are inexpensive there. Walmart is a bit cheaper than Target. And even though Target carries the larger sizes they normally dont have a wide selection as Walmart. I have also seen a few things in MAcy's before. You could also try the shoe stores like Foot Locker for large t-shirts, and sweats.
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I saw on the boards recently that JCPenney has good workout clothes, so I checked it out and they offer great selections! You can search by size, and they have many choices for Plus sizes. Lots of discounts too -- I just purchased 8 pieces for under $120!