My BMR is 1400 and I want to lose 1-2lbs/week? Help!

Options
I've been consuming 1200 calories everyday while eating healthy (5 meals a day, fruits and veggies, protein etc). I've also been going to the gym 2-3 times a week and if not then I go for a long walk.
My BMR is 1400 yet I want to lose a kilo or at least half of a kilo and I know that I can do that by subtracting 500 from 1400 but thats not gonna work in my case because I'm gonna go into starvation mode.
What do I do?
I've been dieting for a few weeks now and my weight hasn't changed! Its still 67kg and I want to reach 60kg!
Please help me and give me whatever advice you can think of! I really need this as it means so much to me! Thank you.

Replies

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    You need to subtract 500 from your TDEE, not your BMR.
  • richtala
    richtala Posts: 10
    Options
    Find your TDEE and subtract it by 10-20% to lose weight, 500 calorie cut for someone with a lower calorie intake is too much.
  • FatJockSing
    FatJockSing Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    My BMR is 1400 . . . .

I am guessing that At best this is estimated from a web site of from MFP. as per above posts you need to be working off of TDEE rather than BMR (I love acronyms . . . NOT!!). You have to try a calorific intake for at least a few weeks to see what result it is having and then make incremental adjustments on a trial and error basis. No one answer we can give will specifically work for you - and only YOU know your body and how it reacts.

1400-500 to most people will sound low . . . . but studies have shown that very few peope actually go into 'Starvation mode"
  • Sarahaysar
    Options
    Okay so my TDEE ended up being 1955 and when I subtracted 20% it was 1,564 and when I subtract 500 it is 1,455.
    Which should I go for? 1564 calories/day or 1455 calories/day?
    Thank you sooo much!
  • kvansanity
    kvansanity Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Just aim for 1500. Calories aren't 100% accurate and you're going to have to guesstimate a lot anyways.
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    VLCD (very low calorie diet, <1200 calories/day) is not recommended. You need to lose weight in a healthy way and at a healthy pace. Create habits you'll continue after you reach your goal. You don't want to gain it back, do you? Because that's what usually happens when people follow a VLCD.

Your weight loss is slow because you don't have much to lose. In fact, chances are you're already in the "healthy range" for BMI.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lb/week is ideal
    If you have 15-25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lb/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lb/week is ideal
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    You need to subtract 500 from your TDEE, not your BMR.

yes and exercise more. you will lose.