Hate exercising?

Options
Any advice to those who just don't enjoy exercising? When I have time on the weekends, I love to go for a hike etc. But, going to the gym- blah!!!!

TIA!
J

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    For starters, select the most enjoyable or least objectionable activity.

If the goal is to burn calories there are plenty of things you can do that should be somewhat tolerable.

If the goal is physique related (muscle maintenance) then you are going to be more limited in options but you should still seek to find the method you tolerate the most and just choose that one for the time being.
  • oksanatkachuk
    oksanatkachuk Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    My advise is still do the strength training regardless how much u enjoy it not.

When u ll get good it it- things will change.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I would rather sew my mouth shut than exercise.
  • jancie84
    jancie84 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I would rather sew my mouth shut than exercise.

Right on!
  • nopotofgold
    nopotofgold Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I love hiking, but this time of year if i can't get out to the trail right when the sun is going up it gets hot fast and i worry for my four legged partner that could over heat on me. So Until late august to early October I walk her at night once the ground has could but wear a weighted vest. I also started going to the gym with my mom since she has a membership that allows her to take a person with her but wasn't going because she couldn't get someone to got consistently. I honestly like the classes. Boot camp and circuit training are amazing because the instructor changes it up every time we go. So you might want to try out some classes as an option for when the weather gets bad (winter or summer time if you are in my state).
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Any advice to those who just don't enjoy exercising? When I have time on the weekends, I love to go for a hike etc. But, going to the gym- blah!!!!

TIA!
    J

Walking, hiking, taking the stairs at every opportunity, cycling/walking to work rather than driving...

lots of ways to get some quality movement in without "exercising" or going to a gym.

Expand your mind to the full range of possibilities of human movement and make it part of your day rather than a specific hour that you "have" to do 3-4 times a week.
  • morethenjustmum
    morethenjustmum Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    my sister who hates the gym has had a lot of success with team sports. She joined her local dodge ball league and in the summer does softball.

I used to hate the gym too and all I did was walk , long and hard. After awhile it just wasn't cutting it for me and I found out that after dropping a few I had less reservations about group fitness and gyms.
    Things I have tried ...... aqua fit, great if you love to swim. Zumba ... good for laugh and if you like to dance....... cardio boxing, cause I have some aggression to get out and I love to punch things that are not my customers.

Like side steel said , find that one thing. It only takes one , the one you detest the least and giver you may find after awhile that it leads to you try other things.

Good Luck
  • GrammyWhammy
    GrammyWhammy Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Dance, skip, jump, jiggle, wiggle, tap. Develop a few "nervous" habits. Be a kid again and go to the playground (might want to take one with you). Play ball. Find an elementary age kid to take to the park--preferably one that's glued to something electronic--and teach them the fine art of Frisbee tossing, badminton, kite flying or hill rolling.

Learn to ride a bike for fun--get one with a basket and gears and ride to the store, etc.

When watching TV, get up at EVERY commercial and do one quick chore or walk around house, but DO NOT open fridge or pantry.

When at computer, set timer and get up every 15 minutes and do one of the above.

Just move it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Increase your N.E.A.T. (non exercise activity thermogenisis) to burn more calories without hitting the gym or working up much of a sweat.

Park in the furthest parking space at any destination.
    Take stairs instead of elevator/escalator.
    Try walking to your destination if allowable.
    Don't sit at your desk, stand or pace more if you can.
    Take the longer way around to a an office spot or when going somewhere physically.

These are just some ideas. Understand that exercise isn't needed for weight loss, but for most people that do it without exercise, they end up just being a smaller version (shape and muscle tone) of their current selves.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition