heart rate monitor

Options
atorina21
atorina21 Posts: 65 Member
I would like to get a heart rate monitor, but I am on a budget and would like to know which HRMs do you guys use and how much was it? How accurate is it?

Thanks!

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Polar FT6, used off Ebay. It measures heart rate accurately and had enough data entry to customise it to my calorie burn / fitness fairly well.
  • DamieAnne
    DamieAnne Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I've got a Garmin Vivofit - a bit pricey £140 including HRM. I love it and its been really useful (tracks steps, sleep movement HR etc), but if you're on a budget your best bet is to have a look at eBay I think - you'll get a better deal there and nothing wrong with a second hand one!
  • AnnaVee84
    AnnaVee84 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I have been using my Polar FT7 for almost two years and love it, use it every day and it's really helped me hone in on my weight loss goals. Any HRM with a chest strap will be pricier but will give more accurate readings than one with just a wrist strap (as accurate as anything can get - they are still all estimates). and of course within limits - for example HRMs don't work as well in heated yoga class or during weight lifting. I love mine so much I bought 3 others when they went on sale and gifted them to friends, I can't recommend it enough!!

I got mine at REI because as a member it comes with a lifetime guarantee. Around $120 but probably cheaper now since I bet they have newer models now. I think Target had them on super sale for maybe $50 when I got em last year, so definitely there are good deals for them!
  • Kel1677
    Kel1677 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I just got a polar ft4 from heart rate monitor USA for $55 with coupon code
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,654 Member
    Options
    The Polar FT4 is one of the cheaper models. I got mine off amazon. I am glad I didn't buy it second hand because I have needed a warranty repair, as the transmitter is easily damaged if not stored in a dry place. Two year warranty.
  • roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I've used Polar HRMs for over 20 years. You can't go wrong. The FT4 mentioned above is a good unit. Don't buy a used one.
  • jerseyjenus
    jerseyjenus Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4
  • LynndaMaree
    LynndaMaree Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Polar Ft7. Since getting it my weight loss is dropping much faster than without it. And the calorie burns on mfp are really inflated compared to the Poiar.
  • Smirnoff65
    Smirnoff65 Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Polar H7 works great for me, it is compatible with several smartphone apps (I use Digifit iCardio which also is compatible with MFP so any workouts you do automatically go on to your diary here) it also works well with the Polar Loop activity bracelet.
  • Makhai_
    Makhai_ Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    We were unable to afford the Polar, so we went with a timex. Cosco was having a clearance, and paid around $40.00 for it. Seams to be fairly accurate.
  • paulhutchin
    Options
    Garmin Edge 800 (bike computer/GPS) with heart rate strap. Works very well and generally seems to be very accurate apart from occasionally giving abnormally high readings when going downhill at 30 mph plus. However, first strap wore out after two years and needed replacing.

I agree that the calorie burns on MFP are hugely inflated compared with the more accurate heart--rate based ones from the HRM. One hour of seriously intense hill intervals on my bike burned 470 calories based on HRM. According to MFP, 30 mins of walking the dog burns 124 calories, which can't be right!
  • courtney123180
    courtney123180 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have been curious about HRM's and step counters, calorie counters as well. I saw the fitbit does the steps and sleep counter, but not a HRM. I would like a combo of all three first stated, the sleep counter doesn't matter to me. However, I have heard that HRM's are worthless for wearing all day when you are just walking around or working(I'm a nurse so I walk a lot). I would like to get something super accurate so that way I have a better idea of calories burned the whole day, not just during a workout. Any suggestions??? Thanks everyone :)

Edit: Oh and I would prefer just a wrist model(which I know isn't as accurate as one with a strap). I would be willing to try one with a chest strap, but doesn't that get annoying and uncomfortable wearing it everyday/all day long???
  • AllieLosingIt
    AllieLosingIt Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I have been curious about HRM's and step counters, calorie counters as well. I saw the fitbit does the steps and sleep counter, but not a HRM. I would like a combo of all three first stated, the sleep counter doesn't matter to me. However, I have heard that HRM's are worthless for wearing all day when you are just walking around or working(I'm a nurse so I walk a lot). I would like to get something super accurate so that way I have a better idea of calories burned the whole day, not just during a workout. Any suggestions??? Thanks everyone :)

Edit: Oh and I would prefer just a wrist model(which I know isn't as accurate as one with a strap). I would be willing to try one with a chest strap, but doesn't that get annoying and uncomfortable wearing it everyday/all day long???

I originally thought the same thing, that my HRM strap would be really irritating, but it just sits right where your bra sits and after wearing it a couple times it wasn't noticeable at all.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i have a polar FT1, which is their entry level model. i find it very accurate (i test it sometimes against an oxymeter that also measures pulse), and the price is pretty good. i wear a fitbit one all day, use my HRM for workouts including walks and use Map My Fitness to track my walks.

btw, the wrist model fitbit can add hundreds or even thousands of steps a day from hand gestures, which is why i bought the one instead. they all add steps while driving, so expect to either get radically wrong step counts or use drivebit to turn off your fitbit's count during driving, as fitbit makes it more difficult to log your driving time unless you keep track of how long you spent in the car each time.
  • atorina21
    atorina21 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    thank you!