Fit Bit Logging Question

Options
Just wondering how everyone is logging their activity, specifically walking.
Each day I walk during lunch and keep the Fit Bit Zip on so my steps are tracked. I do not, however, log in the walk under exercise. Wondering if the Zip is capturing the calories correctly, getting biggest bang for the buck.
Many thanks in advance.

Replies

• Cc215
    Cc215 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I let my fitbit calculate all my step based activity - I never log it separately. That it's job!

I do manually add my swimming (because I take it off), pilates and now my lifting - it doesn't know what to make of them
  • spa407
    spa407 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply.
  • natec4
    natec4 Posts: 5
    Options
    what about treadmill, how do you guys use it ?
  • chrissyrenee1029
    chrissyrenee1029 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    what about treadmill, how do you guys use it ?

I have found with my Flex that as long as I'm walking normally (hands swinging down by my sides) it catches my "steps" pretty accurately. If I hold onto the rails, it doesn't and I end up having to the extra minutes.
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I let my fitbit calculate all my step based activity - I never log it separately. That it's job!

I do manually add my swimming (because I take it off), pilates and now my lifting - it doesn't know what to make of them

^^ This. I actually don't add any exercise to MFP. I know I burn calories during my weights, but I am fine with tracking my "step" activities only.
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options

This. I don't log any step based activities. Will add in lifting and swimming.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I log swimming and biking only. Anything else I just let the Fitbit calculate
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I just let the Fitbit estimate most everything. It is good to get an idea of what Fitbit is estimating though ... it's a little harder with the Zip, as it doesn't have a "timer" function like the One and Flex, but you can still add an "activity record" manually on the website to get the exact steps/calories for a specific amount of time.

As I've done this, and compared my Fitbit to other estimations (machine readouts, HRM, MFP estimates) it's been interesting. My Fitbit estimates are usually very close to the HRM for jogging (my treadmill overestimates) and close to the basic "one mile is about 100 calories" thought. I wore both for tennis yesterday and they were within two calories of each other. For soccer, my HRM was MUCH higher, but for most other activities (elliptical, walking, Zumba) my Fitbit is usually higher than the HRM by a little bit. I do log my bike rides manually, but I don't bother adding extra calories for weight workouts.

I do feel my Fitbit calorie estimate is coming in a little high, so I try to only eat back about half my exercise calories, and not just assume that as Fitbit has said they are there that I can really eat that much :)
  • mamaleftwich
    mamaleftwich Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    If I'm doing major walking, I log those walks through the Endomondo app.
  • argos14
    argos14 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I let the FitBit log all steps for any exercise....only log in strength training and cycling separately....have fun!